Lamar Jackson [QB, Louisville]

K-Ro 25

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You can disagree, that's fine. I watched both of their college careers and me being a hokie fan doesn't change the fact that Vick was better. There was never any doubt Vick was going to be the first pick, Jackson on the other hand may not even be a first rounder. Two completely different levels of talent. 

In a class where he had Drew Brees as the 2nd rated QB prospect and he didn't go until the 2nd round (what a mistake that was). That's not nearly the same as a class like this where people are saying there could be 4-5 first round QB's picked. Jackson has similar speed, open field ability, and arm strength. There just isn't that wide of a margin in those traits that you are letting on. They are both absolute freaks.

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

In a class where he had Drew Brees as the 2nd rated QB prospect and he didn't go until the 2nd round (what a mistake that was). That's not nearly the same as a class like this where people are saying there could be 4-5 first round QB's picked. Jackson has similar speed, open field ability, and arm strength. There just isn't that wide of a margin in those traits that you are letting on. They are both absolute freaks.

Although the comparison to Vick is somewhat valid, Jackson is still a very different player. Even though Vick was shorter, he was more solidly built. I'd also argue Vick had a significantly stronger arm. I truly believe Vick had one of the strongest arms in NFL history.

Otherwise, Vick came about in a different era; he was a unicorn at his time. Jackson is coming along maybe 4-5 seasons too late for him to maximize his stock. We like to think the NFL is prudent and knows what it's doing, but in a lot of cases it doesn't. The league is a mercurial place.

Based on everything I've read and heard about him, I think it's safe to assume him going in the second round.

15 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Although the comparison to Vick is somewhat valid, Jackson is still a very different player. Even though Vick was shorter, he was more solidly built. I'd also argue Vick had a significantly stronger arm. I truly believe Vick had one of the strongest arms in NFL history.

Otherwise, Vick came about in a different era; he was a unicorn at his time. Jackson is coming along maybe 4-5 seasons too late for him to maximize his stock. We like to think the NFL is prudent and knows what it's doing, but in a lot of cases it doesn't. The league is a mercurial place.

Based on everything I've read and heard about him, I think it's safe to assume him going in the second round.

No doubt Vick had a cannon for an arm. Jackson also has one as well. Whether Vick's is stronger is pretty negligible. Honestly after just re-watching Vick, I just didn't see that much of a difference. They both have a similar effortless motion where it seems they don't need to even have their feet properly set to drop a dart down field. There isn't an NFL throw that Jackson can't easily make with his arm strength. They are built a little different as Vick was shorter, but Jackson seems to possess similar lateral movement. Both make unreal moves in the open field. He might go in the 2nd round, or he might go top 10. At this point, it's very hard to say, and I'm sure in the next couple months we will have a better idea of where he truly is viewed by teams.

I did a video comp breakdown of Jackson recently...

https://www.talkdraft.net/single-post/2017/12/26/Lamar-Jackson-Comparison-Breakdown

TL;DR Jackson's faster and his mechanics are better, but his play style reminds me most of Vince Young. Basically, I feel he's a mentally stronger, less clutch, 6'3' Vince Young. His upside is worth a 1st rounder but I'd rather see him return and keep improving his footwork and accuracy.

13 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I agree with everything you said except the 2nd round thing. There is no way he gets out of R1 if you ask me. If he broke his throwing arm and could never even play QB again he'd still probably go in the 1st round as a pure athlete.

6 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

I did a video comp breakdown of Jackson recently...

https://www.talkdraft.net/single-post/2017/12/26/Lamar-Jackson-Comparison-Breakdown

TL;DR Jackson's faster and his mechanics are better, but his play style reminds me most of Vince Young. Basically, I feel he's a mentally stronger, less clutch, 6'3' Vince Young. His upside is worth a 1st rounder but I'd rather see him return and keep improving his footwork and accuracy.

I think there's simply too much risk involved in his play style to chance going back to college another year. Even though his stock took a bit of a hit he's not falling any father than late first-early second. Leave now and get paid rather than risk injury for nothing. 

From everything I have been reading on NFL.com, Jackson is a solid top 10 QB and could go as high as #2 or #3 in the draft. The only knock on him is his thin build in his lower body, which could translate to future injuries and a shorter career. All I can say, is that if he was available in the last 10 drafts, he would have gone #1 overall in most of them.

Vick had a great arm, one of the best I have ever seen, but he had no touch on the ball and he was a very inaccurate thrower, one of the worst I have seen, otherwise, he would have been unstoppable. 

Jackson has an elite arm and is far more accurate a passer than Vick could ever be. I am not completely sure if he has the escapability that Vick had, but if he does, look out, this guy could have an incredible career at the next level.

One thing Vick's escapability did for a team, was make it free from wasting top picks on OLmen, With Vick at QB, you did not need a star LT to protect him and drafting OLmen could be left to rounds 3-5, just an added bonus.

27 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

From everything I have been reading on NFL.com, Jackson is a solid top 10 QB and could go as high as #2 or #3 in the draft. The only knock on him is his thin build in his lower body, which could translate to future injuries and a shorter career. All I can say, is that if he was available in the last 10 drafts, he would have gone #1 overall in most of them.

He's not a solid top 10 QB, and no way would you take him over Darnold or Rosen unless you're taking them off the board.  You have to evaluate Lamar Jackson the passer, not Lamar Jackson the athlete.

50 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It would be nice if Jackson lands with a coach who will use him properly.

Who would that coach be? I really am not sure. My first suggestion would have been Reid, but we know that won't happen. So what other coaches is there faith in that would use him properly out of the teams that could potentially draft him? 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Who would that coach be? I really am not sure. My first suggestion would have been Reid, but we know that won't happen. So what other coaches is there faith in that would use him properly out of the teams that could potentially draft him? 

A couple possibilities imo:

Pat Shurmur

Adam Gase

That's not throwing out coaches who definitely won't look for QBs.

Archived