Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

Based on the reading of an article, it should come as no real surprise that Zimmer was openly complaining about Cousins during coaching meetings this past season.  There appears to be hope that the relationship between Cousins and O'Connell will be different, which is why it's likely that he'll be kept.  But, it remains to be seen whether Cousins is truly able to work with any head coach.  Sure, he can work with a QB coach or an OC, but he's apparently been unable to please both head coaches he's worked for...one of which was even an offensive-focused one who managed to get a lot out of Andy Dalton.  

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

But, it remains to be seen whether Cousins is truly able to work with any head coach.

And neither coach has been able to show their ability, as a head coach, to work with a QB. Zimmer especially, who had icy relationships with Keenum and Bradford before Cousins.

It’s become very clear that Zimmer flat out had issues with paying offensive players. 

Unfortunatey for Cousins, and very telling of Zimmer and Gruden, both coaches tried to use their QB as a scapegoat/excuse for their inability to effectively coach a complete team. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Do we really care what Zimmer had to say about Cousins? The same guy who kissed the feet of Bridgewater and Mannion? 

No. But it continues to show how toxic Zimmer was making things in the locker room. And might give plenty of reason as to why a new coach can get much better results. 

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I feel like this is a talking point about the Cousins tenure in Minnesota that doesn’t get talked about enough, and why having a new staff, especially one that is offense and QB minded, is very important. 

I think Kirk got a little better in that the last couple of years.  Maybe not fully relaxed, but he clearly wasn't as concerned about potentially making mistakes moreso recently than when he first arrived...which probably started with Stefanski and continued with the Kubiaks.  We can continue to blame Zimmer for all his shortcomings, of which he certainly has some, but he's not alone in the failures.  And I still think Kirk shoulders a good portion of it.  

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think Kirk got a little better in that the last couple of years.  Maybe not fully relaxed, but he clearly wasn't as concerned about potentially making mistakes moreso recently than when he first arrived...which probably started with Stefanski and continued with the Kubiaks.  We can continue to blame Zimmer for all his shortcomings, of which he certainly has some, but he's not alone in the failures.  And I still think Kirk shoulders a good portion of it.  

Hard for me to say that Cousins carries a good portion of it when the majority of this team’s issues stemmed from the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like 3