Divisional Rounds - LA Rams @ TB Buccaneers

haveyoumetdustin

2 hours ago, NFL Network said:

Not sure if they can in either Denver against the 2015 Broncos defense or hosting the 2021 Rams. Very tough to win when you're shorthanded and it wouldn't surprise to see Brady get the same treatment that he did in the 2015 AFC title game.

Or you could take the 2018 Patriots as a example that you can actually win shorthanded anywhere in the playoffs. I remember that year a lot of people had the Chargers beating the Patriots, then the Chiefs beating the Patriots etc. The weapons that year? Sony Michel, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski. That's not any better than what Tampa Bay has, in fact it is worse.

The 2015 Broncos game was arguably the biggest meltdown by an OL in the history of the NFL playoffs. I doubt we see that again. And even with that meltdown, the Patriots win that game if it was at home or their kicker does make the extra point.

I'm not guaranteeing a Tampa Bay win, that would be stupid because every playoff team from here on out is very good but Tampa Bay can very well overcome these injuries and win against anyone.

Edited by SBLIII

20 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Can t argue your points.  I can certainly see a path to a Rams victory.  I can't buy the Bucs are banged up and there is an advantage to the Rams.  Yup, Godwin is gone.  All the starters on both teams are beaten up.  Let s face it, the injury report is a joke.  Brady had knee surgery at the end of last season and was never on the injury report, lol.

The game boils down to me can the Bucs defense get off the field on 3rd down.  It has been a problem all yr.  Philly game was good.  Brady will protect the ball on offense.  Sure losing Godwin hurts, but Brady will use the flats to the RBs if the Rams key on Evans and Gronk.  Rams ofense is near 50% or above on 3rd down, I think they win the game.  Otherwise, game swings toward the Bucs, IMO 

I really don't understand the talk about weapons. Tampa Bay has enough weapons to beat anyone. OL and defense have to be talking points. If Tampa Bay covers well, gets pressure and OL holds up, they won't lose.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Can t argue your points.  I can certainly see a path to a Rams victory.  I can't buy the Bucs are banged up and there is an advantage to the Rams.  Yup, Godwin is gone.  All the starters on both teams are beaten up.  Let s face it, the injury report is a joke.  Brady had knee surgery at the end of last season and was never on the injury report, lol.

The game boils down to me can the Bucs defense get off the field on 3rd down.  It has been a problem all yr.  Philly game was good.  Brady will protect the ball on offense.  Sure losing Godwin hurts, but Brady will use the flats to the RBs if the Rams key on Evans and Gronk.  Rams ofense is near 50% or above on 3rd down, I think they win the game.  Otherwise, game swings toward the Bucs, IMO 

Well I do think the Bucs being banged up is huge. It might not show up against teams like the Eagles, Panthers, and Jets but teams like the Rams it would. The Rams know that feeling oh so well last season in the divisional round not having Kupp, Goff was hurt, Wolford was out, and Donald basically was a non-factor due to injury. The Rams did all they can to at least compete into the 4th quarter but against the Packers it wasn’t enough.

The Bucs not having AB and Godwin means less impact weapons for the Rams to deal with. Just stick Ramsey on Evans and figure out the rest. Then the OL not having Wirfs and Jensen even close to healthy isn’t good when the Rams coming in hitting on all cylinders with Donald, Gains, Robinson, Floyd, and Von. I remember last season people made a huge deal with just Marpet out for the game against the Rams. Now the Bucs won’t have a less than effective Jensen and Wirfs and the backup to Wirfs is playing hurt too. So it’s not just being beaten up. Like you said everyone is beaten up but the Bucs legit have game-time decision guys that have to protect Brady and that’s not good. 

I do agree too what you say the game will boil down too. I think it’s going to be a close game entering the 4th quarter. The team that makes the critical plays in the 4th quarter will win the game imo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Well I do think the Bucs being banged up is huge. It might not show up against teams like the Eagles, Panthers, and Jets but teams like the Rams it would. The Rams know that feeling oh so well last season in the divisional round not having Kupp, Goff was hurt, Wolford was out, and Donald basically was a non-factor due to injury. The Rams did all they can to at least compete into the 4th quarter but against the Packers it wasn’t enough.

The Bucs not having AB and Godwin means less impact weapons for the Rams to deal with. Just stick Ramsey on Evans and figure out the rest. Then the OL not having Wirfs and Jensen even close to healthy isn’t good when the Rams coming in hitting on all cylinders with Donald, Gains, Robinson, Floyd, and Von. I remember last season people made a huge deal with just Marpet out for the game against the Rams. Now the Bucs won’t have a less than effective Jensen and Wirfs and the backup to Wirfs is playing hurt too. So it’s not just being beaten up. Like you said everyone is beaten up but the Bucs legit have game-time decision guys that have to protect Brady and that’s not good. 

I do agree too what you say the game will boil down too. I think it’s going to be a close game entering the 4th quarter. The team that makes the critical plays in the 4th quarter will win the game imo. 

1. I mean, teams have been doing this for a while now. We still have guys behind him who have been stepping up. Cyril Grayson has had a great connection with TB and was lighting it up before getting injured; he should be back now. Perriman has come in and given us those big stretch plays when needed. TJ and Scooter showed what they could do last year in the playoffs with reps. That's not even getting into the TE group, which we all know how good they can be. My point is, it may not be the top end talent we're used to, but TB12 knows how to utilize these guys. It may not be in the air raid fashion we had been seeing before with Godwin and AB, but more the underneath/ death by a 1,000 cuts approach. TB12 has thrived in this in past.

2. I don't think Jensen should be of any concern. He came back in the next series after rolling that ankle and played the entire rest of the game without skipping a beat. He'll 100% be out there and doubt you see any limitations with him. He's not a guy we have to ask to make a lot of spacial moves anyway, unlike Wirfs. 

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Or you could take the 2018 Patriots as a example that you can actually win shorthanded anywhere in the playoffs. I remember that year a lot of people had the Chargers beating the Patriots, then the Chiefs beating the Patriots etc. The weapons that year? Sony Michel, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski. That's not any better than what Tampa Bay has, in fact it is worse.

The 2015 Broncos game was arguably the biggest meltdown by an OL in the history of the NFL playoffs. I doubt we see that again. And even with that meltdown, the Patriots win that game if it was at home or their kicker does make the extra point.

I'm not guaranteeing a Tampa Bay win, that would be stupid because every playoff team from here on out is very good but Tampa Bay can very well overcome these injuries and win against anyone.

That 2018 Patriots team had more depth in the backfield as Sony had James White & Rex Burkhead handling the load. The WR's core was paper thin after Edelman and Gronk was a shell of his former self that year. Fortunately the Chargers were bad on both sides of the ball and the Chiefs couldn't stop anyone and when they did Dee Ford had his hand in the neutral zone lol! By the SB the Patriots defense had a throwback to the 2003/04 seasons and covered up for a brutal Brady against the Rams. We better hope & pray we don't see a Brady performance like that SB one on Sunday. 

On 1/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, NFL Network said:

I think the Bucs run defense might be able to show up but stopping the pass is another story due to pass rush & coverage issues. 

I suspect it's another game where Tom has to throw it alot and he gets a high volume of passing yards but not that many drives ending in the endzone. Pass protection will be a key issue since the Rams rush the passer quite well. I also have doubts about Brady throwing Jalen Ramsey's way as I assume the Rams will assign Ramsey on Evans most of the time since the Bucs has no other real threat at the WR position. 

This reminds me of the 2015 Patriots team Brady took to the playoffs and the only relevant pass catching threat were Julian Edelman & Gronk and that team came up short against a ferocious Denver defense and hello Von Miller yet again on Sunday!

...only because of a missed extra point.:(