NFL fines Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians $50,000 for striking own player

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Unfortunately, the topic at hand is NFL Coaching, on an NFL Forum

Then how are you able to provide any sort of insight to where you can tell us we'd fail?

Would Bill Walsh fail as a HC? He didn't smack anyone. He lasted longer than a day, too.

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

secondly that wasn't intimidation, that was a form of holding someone accountable, two different things.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Pro tip from a Sr. Manager at a Fortune 100 company who manages roughly 50 professionals (me, in case you were wondering): If you have to resort to intimidation to get your people in line, you're a bad leader.

Holding accountable = getting them in line, right? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Then how are you able to provide any sort of insight to where you can tell us we'd fail?

Would Bill Walsh fail as a HC? He didn't smack anyone. He lasted longer than a day, too.

Holding accountable = getting them in line, right? 

You know why I feel you would fail? Because you all are whining about minor things, and would spend all of your time trying to put out little fires and get engulfed by the larger flame....

All theoretical of course 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

You know why I feel you would fail? Because you all are whining about minor things, and would spend all of your time trying to put out little fires and get engulfed by the larger flame....

Last I checked, I'm not really whining about the situation, I'm actually pretty middle ground on it. I'm calling both sides out, actually. There's a middle ground to stand on with this.

You have yet to tell me how Bill Walsh would do in this league, BTW. Or Tony Dungy, for that matter.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He damn near missed, my goodness has society become so soft. I have no issue with this because as a coach I know this wasn't done out of malice. It was just an extended version of "what the hell are you doing".Do I condone this?,No but do I understand?, Yes.

Please stop all of the fake outrage.

Does it have to be outrage?

Couldn’t a reasonable person say it’s both inappropriate and shouldn’t happen without being “triggered”?

• Like 5

Just now, ET80 said:

Last I checked, I'm not really whining about the situation, I'm actually pretty middle ground on it. I'm calling both sides out, actually. There's a middle ground to stand on with this.

You have yet to tell me how Bill Walsh would do in this league, BTW. Or Tony Dungy, for that matter.

A. Bill Walsh would do just fine, he is and was a football guy and knows how this works, so does Tony Dungy

B. If you aren't aware, in football, there is more than one way to skin a cat meaning there are multiple ways to get things done. 

C. Last I checked, in your face type of coaches were just as successful (Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin, Bruce Arians)

D. People love the cake, but hate how its made.....(or probably ask if its gluten free)

E. I do agree that there is a middle ground, maybe im just expressing my frustrations on how people try to make a mountain over a mole hill

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Likewise, I'd like to see your amateur coaching style play on NBC with 10mm people watching... and then see how you'd try to spin it after the fact.

Pro tip from a Sr. Manager at a Fortune 100 company who manages roughly 50 professionals (me, in case you were wondering): If you have to resort to intimidation to get your people in line, you're a bad leader.

To be clear, the only reason you’re a senior manager is because of your age.

Everyone else who does your job is just a manager.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 4

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Does it have to be outrage?

Couldn’t a reasonable person say it’s both inappropriate and shouldn’t happen without being “triggered”?

You're right, he could have handled it differently but I understand his frustration in the moment. He probably should have done a better job coaching him up in that specific scenario

• Like 1

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

You're right, he could have handled it differently but I understand his frustration in the moment. He probably should have done a better job coaching him up in that specific scenario

And I think that’s all most people are wanting out of this.

Coaches (anyone) aren’t going to change bad behavior if it’s continually accepted and dismissed.  

1. BA shouldn't have done that, period. It's inappropriate

2. I do believe many are overreacting based upon what he did and we need to be careful when applying universal workplace standards to a uniquely different workplace (I'm guilty of this myself sometimes).

3. If I did that as a HS coach, I'd be reprimanded and perhaps fired (it's different I suppose in that they're almost always minors, but still)

4. Once as a player I was called for an unnecessary roughness penalty, and when I was looking away from my coach and still angry, he grabbed my facemask and twisted it so that I would face him eye to eye. My dad had zero issue with that.

5. Most of us college athletes/former college athletes are going to dismiss this. That doesn't make it right at all...it just means most of us have been through or seen worse. I'm not justifying that at all, that's just how it is/how it was.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

1. BA shouldn't have done that, period. It's inappropriate

100%

2. I do believe many are overreacting based upon what he did and we need to be careful when applying universal workplace standards to a uniquely different workplace (I'm guilty of this myself sometimes).

It’s only unique because people allow it to be.  Keeping your hands to yourself should be an expectation at any job.  At least in this context.  A supportive slap on the helmet or shoulder pads from a coach is a different animal.  Context matters.

3. If I did that as a HS coach, I'd be reprimanded and perhaps fired (it's different I suppose in that they're almost always minors, but still)

Yeah, different, but shouldn’t be.

4. Once as a player I was called for an unnecessary roughness penalty, and when I was looking away from my coach and still angry, he grabbed my facemask and twisted it so that I would face him eye to eye. My dad had zero issue with that.

Saying “X was ok with Y” is all well and good, but it doesn’t mean that it’s ok with others. 

5. Most of us college athletes/former college athletes are going to dismiss this. That doesn't make it right at all...it just means most of us have been through or seen worse. I'm not justifying that at all, that's just how it is/how it was.

For sure.  And I had coaches treat me/teammates in a way I wouldn’t be ok with them treating my son.  The goal should be to do better and improve, not excuse poor behavior as “that’s just how it is”.   Now that doesn’t mean BA needs to be fired or anything, but the penalty is just a “correction” that signals to him and others this can’t happen.  It’s an appropriate response imo.

• Like 3

100%

It’s only unique because people allow it to be.  Keeping your hands to yourself should be an expectation at any job.  At least in this context.  A supportive slap on the helmet or shoulder pads from a coach is a different animal.  Context matters.

Like you said, context matters. 

Yeah, different, but shouldn’t be.

Saying “X was ok with Y” is all well and good, but it doesn’t mean that it’s ok with others. 

Not discounting or justifying that. I was more or less saying what you said above in that context matters. I've had to step in front of players who were fighting, grab ahold of pads to keep them safe, try to get their attention before something bad happens. I've never grabbed a facemask or done anything out of anger, but that little gap on the back shoulder blade makes a nice hand hold to keep someone from running/engaging. A slap is never appropriate though.

For sure.  And I had coaches treat me/teammates in a way I wouldn’t be ok with them treating my son.  The goal should be to do better and improve, not excuse poor behavior as “that’s just how it is”.   Now that doesn’t mean BA needs to be fired or anything, but the penalty is just a “correction” that signals to him and others this can’t happen.  It’s an appropriate response imo.

In hindsight, many of us during our formative years didn't know what was/wasn't appropriate and what was/wasn't normal, so not many of us spoke up or would have out of sheer ignorance and assuming "this is the way that it is".