NFL fines Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians $50,000 for striking own player

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Consider another "alpha" career with a very physical job description: can anyone picture a senior military officer slapping an junior enlisted? Huge yikes. Dismissing this as being "ok" because "it's football" is just mindless.

Can I picture a higher ranking military office (or enlisted) slapping someone because what they're doing is detrimental to the job at hand. I sure can - I've seen it happen, I've watched an LT grab ahold of an E-2 because we were messing around while working post at a VSA. This was also 15ish years ago so the times have changed but your example is not that hard to imagine happening.

...at least from experience. 

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Someone Reaction GIF

You either:

a. Don’t understand power dynamics

b. Don’t realize that a boss has power over his subordinates 

c. Don’t know that BA is his boss.

d. All of the above.

All 4 options are wrong. Impressive!

It's fashionable these days to treat ordinary encounters as power struggles, but it's not that complicated. Yes I know what power dynamics are. Just because someone is your boss doesn't mean all their actions can be explained by 'power dynamics.' 

Edited by Joe_is_the_best

3 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Can I picture a higher ranking military office (or enlisted) slapping someone because what they're doing is detrimental to the job at hand. I sure can - I've seen it happen, I've watched an LT grab ahold of an E-2 because we were messing around while working post at a VSA. This was also 15ish years ago so the times have changed but your example is not that hard to imagine happening.

grabbing =/= slapping

c'mon now people

this isn't an issue of physical contact. It's an issue of one of the most disrespectful types of physical contact. Grabbing someone (by a collar, a face mask, whatever) to "get in their face" and literally TALK to them is lightyears different than slapping someone in the back of the head

13 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

It's fashionable these days to treat ordinary encounters as power struggles, but it's not that complicated. Yes I know what power dynamics are. Just because someone is your boss doesn't mean all their actions can be explained by 'power dynamics.' 

I was with you until I remembered that the situation we’re discussing is one where someone was struck by their superior while at work.

I’m pretty sure that qualifies as one of those situations where power dynamics comes into play lol.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

"power dynamics" shape literally every interaction every person ever has...I don't think you could possibly be more wrong.

I think you're conflating "power dynamics" with "power statics"

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To be clear, the only reason your a senior manager is because of your age.

Everyone else who does your job is just a manager.

I spend 75% of my time here managing this website... and still win awards for productivity and innovation.

I'm not just A Manager... I'm THE Manager.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

What's "power statics"?

Do you think that, if the player had slapped BA in the head, that the impact on his life would be of equal magnitude?

Alternately: do you think BA would slap his GM in the back of the head? And, if so, would there be worse fallout for him than slapping this player?

Edited by incognito_man

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Grabbing a face-mask to force a stern vocal warning is lightyears away from slapping someone in the back in the head. c'mon now...

I don't have too much of a dog in this fight, but I'll take the head slap.  I hate when people try to move my head for me, kinda freaks me out.  I've had to tell significant others to stop; I certainly wouldn't want a grown man steering me around by the mask.

• Like 1