NFL fines Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians $50,000 for striking own player

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I think it is hilarious that the only outrage is coming from the posts defending Arians and saying ish like, "I can't believe the outrage!"

How do you know people don’t think the “outrage” is hilarious? Especially when looking at the people who compared it to an office setting.

FMPOV the outrage is minimal on both sides 

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I think it is hilarious that the only outrage is coming from the posts defending Arians and saying ish like, "I can't believe the outrage!"

Some of you guys really like that word. I don't think you understand what it means. If outrage is saying it isn't a big deal and people are freaking out over it too much, I just don't know anymore. You act like someone is starting a facebook group and singing a petition.😄

1 hour ago, EvilenFroggen said:

I don't have too much of a dog in this fight, but I'll take the head slap.  I hate when people try to move my head for me, kinda freaks me out.  I've had to tell significant others to stop; I certainly wouldn't want a grown man steering me around by the mask.

Neither are good. I think the distinction for me is one has the intent of actually talking to the person (more like an adult) whereas a slap is just totally immature and terrible "leadership*. 

But yes, neither are ideal. But picturing a coach talking to a kid while holding onto his facemask seems far more like "constructive teaching" than a mindless slap to the back of the head.

I was looking up some standard NFL fines.

Verbal or other Non-Physical Offense Against Official *

$28,917

Use of the Helmet/ Spearing/ Launching *

$20,600

lmfao

i had no idea verbal abuse of a ref was so high, I assumed it was their lowest tier fine.

Edited by Dome

3 hours ago, Dome said:

I was looking up some standard NFL fines.

Verbal or other Non-Physical Offense Against Official *

$28,917

Use of the Helmet/ Spearing/ Launching *

$20,600

lmfao

i had no idea verbal abuse of a ref was so high, I assumed it was their lowest tier fine.

Players can wear pads to protect their bodies but the refs can't wear anything that protects their heart.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

For the record, the real life event this scene was based off of led to quite a bit of controversy, even in the 1940s, and resulted in Patton being reprimanded by Eisenhower, and a lot of public reaction calling for him to be removed from duty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton_slapping_incidents

Not sure which way you're trying to argue by posting the clip, but I think that context is pretty important given the topic at hand. Even in the army in the 1940s, this wasn't considered acceptable when it happened.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

For the record, the real life event this scene was based off of led to quite a bit of controversy, even in the 1940s, and resulted in Patton being reprimanded by Eisenhower, and a lot of public reaction calling for him to be removed from duty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton_slapping_incidents

Not sure which way you're trying to argue by posting the clip, but I think that context is pretty important given the topic at hand. Even in the army in the 1940s, this wasn't considered acceptable when it happened.

I wasn’t arguing anything.  Just made me think of that incident.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I wasn’t arguing anything.  Just made me think of that incident.

That being said, I think there is an argument to made for physical discipline in certain circumstances.  That would be a long piece.   

I think hitting someone in just anger is never okay.