Do you see what I see?

armsteeld

The top 10 ILB in this draft all have warts.  I would love to get one that has speed and will attack.  I have said that Brandon Smith is a perfet Tomlin pick as he is young and a high SPARq athlete.  That he is a poor tackler is just a bonus for this team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I want to throw a guy out there but don’t have video to post but:

Skyy Moore WR Western Michigan. 

He’s a New Kensington native and started at Shady Side Academy before making his way to WMichigan. Not tall but built. 

I like his QB, Kaleb Eleby, who has a laser quick delivery. His accuracy is good also.

There are some really exciting DE prospects in this draft. Travon Walker from UGA and Logan Hall from Houston are interesting to say the least. Big, versatile, guys that can move all up and down the line. Right now they're both looked at as 2nd-4th rounders. They could be really intriguing replacements to Tuitt. That doesn't even include the interior line guys that could transition out to 5-techs. John Ridgeway is another interesting guy. I'd hate to lose Tuitt, but there are some really nice looking prospects that may slip down to us in the middle rounds. 

Western Michigan QB Kaleb Eleby 6'1 210

*Strong arm.

*Can make every throw on the field.

*Quick processor. Mostly half reads.

*Average athlete at QB.

*Horrible awareness as a scrambler (takes too many unnecessary big hits as he somehow doesn't see those huge defenders).

*Highly competitive.

*Fast release.

*Rhythmic passer but can also throw well off schedule.

*Beautiful deep ball.

*Throws with a tight spiral which allows for a faster ball.

*Confident in his arm and will make some wow throws.

*Redshirt sophomore.

*Finished his collegiate career with 45 TDs and 11 Ints with a 63.4 Comp Percentage.

*I'd take Eleby in the 3rd with NO hesitation and I'd take his WR Sky Moore in the 2nd round. 

WR Skyy Moore 5'10 195

*Shifty

*Fast

*Typewriter feet

*Quick release

*Excellent tracking the deep ball

*Has late hands as plucks the ball almost chest level at times

*Has no issues running slants inside

*Shows good awareness in condensed areas 

*Easily a 1st round talent. Reminds me of DJ Moore from the Panthers. This dude is special.

I definitely don't do the college game as much as you guys here, but I had a little time in between meetings and I love to check out a QB...

Briefly watched Eleby and saw enough that makes me have no desire to see anymore of him. Everything was designed to throw to his first read. They even had "dummy" first read stuff (fake screen, WR cross throwback) that make it look like he is processing...but really he is throwing to the first designed person every time. It's a hope and a dream to think he can start processing in the NFL, so everything else he would do/physical is would have to stand out. 

Feet are quick, but way too hyper. Seems like he is out of control. Would rather see someone much calmer in the pocket instead of whipping their body around (which is probably in part a design of their scheme/teaching, but not something he will do next level). That fed into his pocket presence lacking. As soon as pressure hit, the eyes dropped. In the Pitt game had an example of escaping a rusher (good) and then he had an absolute clean pocket to set back up but his instinct was to bail (bad). I talk about instincts (or lack thereof) with Mason. You can't teach it for pocket awareness. You really kind of are who you are in terms of how you handle yourself in there. 

At best, I would take him as a camp invite arm in UDFA. But there is nothing I see with him that would lead me to believe he could compete in the NFL with the likes of Mahomes and Allen. You would need a perfect OC and a perfect roster to give him a chance, and you can't build that perfect rosters selecting him in the draft. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I definitely don't do the college game as much as you guys here, but I had a little time in between meetings and I love to check out a QB...

Briefly watched Eleby and saw enough that makes me have no desire to see anymore of him. Everything was designed to throw to his first read. They even had "dummy" first read stuff (fake screen, WR cross throwback) that make it look like he is processing...but really he is throwing to the first designed person every time. It's a hope and a dream to think he can start processing in the NFL, so everything else he would do/physical is would have to stand out. 

Feet are quick, but way too hyper. Seems like he is out of control. Would rather see someone much calmer in the pocket instead of whipping their body around (which is probably in part a design of their scheme/teaching, but not something he will do next level). That fed into his pocket presence lacking. As soon as pressure hit, the eyes dropped. In the Pitt game had an example of escaping a rusher (good) and then he had an absolute clean pocket to set back up but his instinct was to bail (bad). I talk about instincts (or lack thereof) with Mason. You can't teach it for pocket awareness. You really kind of are who you are in terms of how you handle yourself in there. 

At best, I would take him as a camp invite arm in UDFA. But there is nothing I see with him that would lead me to believe he could compete in the NFL with the likes of Mahomes and Allen. You would need a perfect OC and a perfect roster to give him a chance, and you can't build that perfect rosters selecting him in the draft. 

EVERY offensive system has a primary read that is designed to throw it to that player. If that player is covered, you go through the reads based off the system. Mailk Willis, Matt Corrall, and many other draft eligible QBs operate similarly to what Eleby is doing. 

You can find flaws in EVERY prospect. Can they be coached up to fit your system is the question. His ball placement is top 10 in this class. Based in what the Steelers tried doing with Ben this past season, Eleby fits that scheme. I guess we need All 22 film to gauge these QBs better. That being said, I enjoyed your breakdown and would like more input on more players.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, armsteeld said:

EVERY offensive system has a primary read that is designed to throw it to that player. If that player is covered, you go through the reads based off the system. Mailk Willis, Matt Corrall, and many other draft eligible QBs operate similarly to what Eleby is doing. 

While you are correct, its more about a QBs ability to actually go through those reads and not decide to run every time that first read isnt there.

I havent watched enough of Eleby to be able to accurately judge him, but thats part of the reason Im not extremely high on Willis.   He takes off so often after his first read, and while those things can be corrected, its not an easy correction in the pros.   Thats why so many mobile QBs dont have lasting success in the pros....because they played in simplified offenses where they were so used to running being their first instinct rather than breaking down the defense with their eyes.   Its an uphill battle to change those habits.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 43M said:

but thats part of the reason Im not extremely high on Willis.   He takes off so often after his first read, and while those things can be corrected, its not an easy correction in the pros.

So, won’t act like I have watched everything there is to see on Willis, but from what I have seen I do think his instincts tend to lead him in the direction of “pass first”. He may break the pocket to escape early at times,  but I was surprised how often he continues to look downfield after what I had read about him. 

I do question how he reads downfield though, after breaking contain. I always looked at QBs reading downfield as a fog. Some guys can’t see anything when things break down, dudes like Ben and Josh Allen can see clear as day. That’s something that experience can bring clarity too…it’s also something that some guys never get over. 

I like what I see from Malik in terms of staying focused downfield when breaking contain…but sometimes it looks like he is trying to read Mandarin while scanning.