2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That's literally a coaches job is to coach up and bring the best out in a player. They can't fix all their hole in a single offseason. It's less ego and more working with the cards you were dealt. I don't get the sense they think they can "fix" players. More, they will coach them, evaluate them and always look at ways to improve their football team. 

Ego is reaching on prospects and thinking you're the smartest person in the room. That is now what is going on with this crew. 

I'll reserve judgement on the roster until week 1 as there is a lot that will happen between now and then.

When player A has been at the position for 4 years, still can not play at an acceptable level, and you think you can fix them is still ego.  Saying Leatherwood got some experience last year and we think he can develop is one thing but they said that about Parker who is coming into his fifth year.  It is not like he is still transitioning to the NFL game.  Maybe the lightbulb turns on this year and Cable really was a horrible coach but I think his issue was more about thinking he can just move players to the right side.  Even James went from easily the worst C week 1 to being at least average half way thru his 1st year starting.  The players that have not developed and struggled are the ones we have moved to the right side.  I do not think me stating we should make the simple and easy decision to get a natural RT to play RT is ego or me thinking I am the smartest person in the room.  Unless of course everyone in the room is an idiot.  Then maybe I am the smartest on the short bus.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That's literally a coaches job is to coach up and bring the best out in a player. They can't fix all their hole in a single offseason. It's less ego and more working with the cards you were dealt.

They can't fix every hole but it might be smart to invest some assets into the literal weakest link of the team, lol.

• Like 2

What do you all think of the Raiders making a trade using more picks in the 2022 and 2023 drafts for a RT?  Do you think we should look into trading a 2023 pick or two to get a proven RT?  Or do you all think we should just use our picks to possibly draft a RT this year?  Should we just wait for roster cuts?

Now that I'm writing this all out I think maybe waiting for roster cuts is the best choice.  Not proven to work, but it might.  Lol.

I really feel like we are a RT away from winning some playoff games.

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They can't fix every hole but it might be smart to invest some assets into the literal weakest link of the team, lol.

Hey if they can fix the spot and they end up being right about this I'm all for it. But if it doesn't work out at RT(which I really hope it does) I don't wanna hear the built-in excuse of "you can't fix every hole" because it wasn't that hard to do.  Players were and are still available for a very affordable price. Bottom line 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Hey if they can fix the spot and they end up being right about this I'm all for it. But if it doesn't work out at RT(which I really hope it does) I don't wanna hear the built-in excuse of "you can't fix every hole" because it wasn't that hard to do.  Players were and are still available for a very affordable price. Bottom line 

Yeah I understand you can't fix every hole but our OL was our biggest hole and we only brought in 1 backup that may not even make the final roster so far.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And we just gave Brandon Parker starting RT money.

Is it starting RT money or swing tackle money? His contract isn’t going to preclude us going after a RT. I think it’s more likely we sign one after June once the extra money becomes available, might even have something in place with someone like Cannon. 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

What do you all think of the Raiders making a trade using more picks in the 2022 and 2023 drafts for a RT?  Do you think we should look into trading a 2023 pick or two to get a proven RT?  Or do you all think we should just use our picks to possibly draft a RT this year?  Should we just wait for roster cuts?

Now that I'm writing this all out I think maybe waiting for roster cuts is the best choice.  Not proven to work, but it might.  Lol.

I really feel like we are a RT away from winning some playoff games.

In order: 

1. Try for someone in the draft. But I wouldn't move up for any unproven talent. If a guy is there, great. If not, great. 

2. See what roster cuts bring along. 

3. If roster cuts don't bring anyone and we don't draft a guy, I 100% support offering a 2023 pick for a guy if someone is available. I never balk at trading for a proven talent over an unknown, especially when the price is nearly equivalent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah I understand you can't fix every hole but our OL was our biggest hole and we only brought in 1 backup that may not even make the final roster so far.

Yeah it seems like the whole plan is based off of them calling BS on Tom cables Coaching ability by basically saying they could do a better job with the same people. That’s sad it’s possible but dangerous. It also may help that having receivers that can get open quicker should make it to where Derek Carr shouldn’t have to hold the ball as long. So there’s that

1 hour ago, BakeSpeaks said:

Spotrac has his Cap hit as 3.5 million this year, or 48th for tackles- thats not much at all.

But it’s 16th in RTs In particular. And only 1.5 less than a player like say Moses call just got signed hot off the open market

16 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

But it’s 16th in RTs In particular. And only 1.5 less than a player like say Moses call just got signed hot off the open market

its 21st for RT/T and I imagine the dollar amount is closer to the bottom end average than the median.

either way 3.5 is not too much for a spot starter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

In order: 

1. Try for someone in the draft. But I wouldn't move up for any unproven talent. If a guy is there, great. If not, great. 

2. See what roster cuts bring along. 

3. If roster cuts don't bring anyone and we don't draft a guy, I 100% support offering a 2023 pick for a guy if someone is available. I never balk at trading for a proven talent over an unknown, especially when the price is nearly equivalent. 

We get a lot of post june 1st $$$. If any vets want to wait until camp, we can have our pick.

1 hour ago, BakeSpeaks said:

its 21st for RT/T and I imagine the dollar amount is closer to the bottom end average than the median.

either way 3.5 is not too much for a spot starter.

This, not exactly saying we are committed to Parker being the starter as some would claim.