2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

12 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Really interested in seeing what Rock can be. I’m also high on Mullen, even though there are legit injury concerns. 

Me too, although still a big gamble. They could both end up being Top 20 Corners in the NFL, and they could just as easily end up being absolutely terrible. 

If we dont sign Bradberry I could see us adding 5 more vets on June 1

• QB2- Mullen is a lower end QB2 and more like a QB3. Theres a few new options like Nick Foles, Blake Bortles, or even RG3 be interesting to bring to camp 
  • WR- I still wouldn't mind a speed demon to challenge and add another dynamic 
  • OL- I still think this unit could use more talent. We only added a 3rd rounder, 7th, and a few backups to a lousy OL. Wouldn't mind bringing in another vet or two for competition 
  • DE- I think we could us another big 3-4 END to challenge Ferrell. Seems like we are going to have DTs playing DE. We really don't have many DE like Ferrell 
  • Safety- I would have cut Leavitt and Teamer yesterday. I wouldn't mind another vet to challenge and provide depth. Falcons guy might suck, and Gillespie hasn't done much. Abram doesn't instill confidence in the pass game. Teamer in trouble with the law, and Leavitt just flat out sucks 

Of course my first choice would be Bradberry but I wouldn't be mad falling back on adding more vets 

Bradberry's coverage statistics in 2021 weren't as strong as they were in 2020. Opposing quarterbacks targeting Bradberry as the primary defender completed 61.2% of their passes for 729 yards and eight touchdowns. While Bradberry had four interceptions, opposing quarterbacks had a 75.8 passer rating when he was the primary defender. He also had three pass-interference penalties. 

He gave up 8TDs last season. What do we make of that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The way I look at it is the giants we’re in the bottom half of the league in ever statistical category(except sacks). The reason why I mention that I said a large reason for most if not all reasons why the defense didn’t do as well as 2020 is that the offense sucked(2nd to last in Ppg)which put the defense on the field for longer than they should’ve been. 

To confirm that theory (particularly as it pertains to Bradbury) I would want to know how many snaps Bradbury played last in relation to how many snaps other corners who did better played

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He had some games where he looked really good and some where he looked really bad. 

The games he gave up TDs:

Washington- 10 tgts, 8 comp, 1 TD

Atlanta- 7, 5, 1

Dallas- 5, 4, 1

Las Vegas- 6, 2, 1

Tampa Bay- 16, 10, 2

Miami- 10, 8, 1

LAC- 6, 4, 1

Overall, he wasn't particularly good in coverage, only 4 games he allowed a lower than 50% completion rating, and as many games with a 100.0 or better QBR as below a 75.0. Looking at the Giants schedule, there's little rhyme or reason behind it in terms of QB or WR. Some good QB/WR combos looked very average, some very average combos looked spectacular. 

I think the big takeaways are:

1. The Giants weren't very good. 

2. James Bradberry is JAG who plays CB. 

3. Nobody pulled the trade trigger, because they knew he wasn't worth the contract. 

4. He won't be particularly expensive to sign, and we don't have a lot of depth at CB. 

I think some people are way too high on him for reasons beyond me. That said, I don't see a reason to be especially low on him. I would balk at a big contract or even giving up much for him in a trade, but that's not going to be the case. He'd be CB2 probably, and only then by default with Hobbs being the NCB. In a "pecking order" of sorts, he'd be behind Mullen and Hobbs, competing with Averett. That already has more depth than we had at CB the last couple of years. 

If anyone is of the mindset he comes in and singlehandedly fixes our D, they're crazy. He's not a lockdown corner. For those who can appreciate him being a warm body that can play CB and usually not get utterly embarrassed but don't expect a huge output from him, it's a decent signing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

He had some games where he looked really good and some where he looked really bad. 

Atlanta- 7, 5, 1

Dallas- 5, 4, 1

Las Vegas- 6, 2, 1

Tampa Bay- 16, 10, 2

Miami- 10, 8, 1

LAC- 6, 4, 1

Overall, he wasn't particularly good in coverage, only 4 games he allowed a lower than 50% completion rating, and as many games with a 100.0 or better QBR as below a 75.0. Looking at the Giants schedule, there's little rhyme or reason behind it in terms of QB or WR. Some good QB/WR combos looked very average, some very average combos looked spectacular. 

3. Nobody pulled the trade trigger, because they knew he wasn't worth the contract. 

4. He won't be particularly expensive to sign, and we don't have a lot of depth at CB. 

I think some people are way too high on him for reasons beyond me. That said, I don't see a reason to be especially low on him. I would balk at a big contract or even giving up much for him in a trade, but that's not going to be the case. He'd be CB2 probably, and only then by default with Hobbs being the NCB. In a "pecking order" of sorts, he'd be behind Mullen and Hobbs, competing with Averett. That already has more depth than we had at CB the last couple of years. 

If anyone is of the mindset he comes in and singlehandedly fixes our D, they're crazy. He's not a lockdown corner. For those who can appreciate him being a warm body that can play CB and usually not get utterly embarrassed but don't expect a huge output from him, it's a decent signing. 

This is where I'm at. Not a genuine #1 CB even though the Giants paid him like it but if we can bring him in to compete at a reasonable cost then he adds to the depth certainly.

Maybe it's better to have 3 or 4 number two type CBs who can all step up at times and play at a decent level than a high cost number one who's lockdown and then a bunch of scraps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Atlanta- 7, 5, 1

Dallas- 5, 4, 1

Las Vegas- 6, 2, 1

Tampa Bay- 16, 10, 2

Miami- 10, 8, 1

LAC- 6, 4, 1

Now this is a helpful analysis. That said, do you get all the information presented I have to retract and say that we shouldn't give him the contract that he had before but if we can get them for a good deal(10 or less per year), the more competent corners we can get in or scheme that emphasizes man coverage the better imo. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is where I'm at. Not a genuine #1 CB even though the Giants paid him like it but if we can bring him in to compete at a reasonable cost then he adds to the depth certainly.

Maybe it's better to have 3 or 4 number two type CBs who can all step up at times and play at a decent level than a high cost number one who's lockdown and then a bunch of scraps.

This.

57 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

21 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Now this is a helpful analysis. That said, do you get all the information presented I have to retract and say that we shouldn't give him the contract that he had before but if we can get them for a good deal(10 or less per year), the more competent corners we can get in or scheme that emphasizes man coverage the better imo. 

Yep to both of these. 

Judging by our CB play the last few years, he's an upgrade. He's not wishful thinking like Isaiah Johnson. That alone is a HUGE upgrade. 

Give him a decent CB2 contract and I'd be happy. Like @Darbsksaid, it's better to have a bunch of 2's than a single 1 and a bunch of nobody's. 

Bradberry isn't a star, but we can't be shooting for stars all the time. He's an NFL starting CB, which is more than most of what we've put out there can say.

Much like our LB corps isn't full of stars, but looks SOOOOO much better on paper with Perryman, Deablo, Young, Brown (no stars, but 3 proven vets) than, say,  Whitehead, Morrow, Compton, Wilbur that we wound up with in 2019 (collection of "who"?), a CB unit of Ya-Sin-Mullen/Bradberry-Hobbs-Mullen/Bradberry-Averett looks infinitely better than Ya-Sin-Mullen-Hobbs-Averett-LeBlanc/Phillips/Robinson/Webb. 

If a guy goes down from the first group, tough but someone decent is right there. If a guy goes down from the second group.... you're looking at the bottom of the barrell playing significant snaps. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, Humble_Beast said:

If we dont sign Bradberry I could see us adding 5 more vets on June 1

• QB2- Mullen is a lower end QB2 and more like a QB3. Theres a few new options like Nick Foles, Blake Bortles, or even RG3 be interesting to bring to camp 
  • WR- I still wouldn't mind a speed demon to challenge and add another dynamic 
  • OL- I still think this unit could use more talent. We only added a 3rd rounder, 7th, and a few backups to a lousy OL. Wouldn't mind bringing in another vet or two for competition 
  • DE- I think we could us another big 3-4 END to challenge Ferrell. Seems like we are going to have DTs playing DE. We really don't have many DE like Ferrell 
  • Safety- I would have cut Leavitt and Teamer yesterday. I wouldn't mind another vet to challenge and provide depth. Falcons guy might suck, and Gillespie hasn't done much. Abram doesn't instill confidence in the pass game. Teamer in trouble with the law, and Leavitt just flat out sucks 

Of course my first choice would be Bradberry but I wouldn't be mad falling back on adding more vets 

so we signed K Cole, I like the competition and depth now. I still would like the other 4 spots