2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 5/21/2022 at 4:06 AM, OnlyGlove said:

Adding people for the sake of it does nothing but use up cash and cap space. You want to get value. 

He's also 35, let go by the BUCS because he doesn't have much left in the tank

Suh has literally never missed a game due to injury over his 12 year career. Over the last two seasons he has started all 33 games for the Buccaneers who had the #1/#3 ranked run defense. He played 74%/63% of their snaps and had 6 sacks in both 2020/2021.

He has basically signed a 1 yr/$10M deal with the Bucs 3 years in a row, they won't even have $10M when they sign their draft class and just drafted Logan Hall at #33 because they need to get younger/cheaper on the defensive line. 

Right now on the interior defensive line we have Hankins, Peko, Butler, and Billings who are all on 1 year minimum deals. Plus the two rookies that we drafted in the middle rounds with Butler/Farrell, and Nichols who is our only DT under contract for more than this season and is just an average player. 

Suh has been one of the key cogs for one of the best run defenses in the league over the last three seasons in Tampa and has more interior pass rush production than any DT we've had since Tommy Kelly/Warren Sapp. He's not the elite player that he used to be but he's still very good and dependable. The Rams traded for Suh on a 1 year deal and they made the Super Bowl, the Bucs brought him in and won a Super Bowl with him as one of the key cogs to their defense. 

I definitely think that he's a guy that's worth bringing in not only because of his production/role but also as a mentor and a locker room guy. It never hurts to bring in a 1st ballot HOF player that has been a key cog for multiple Super Bowl teams within the last five seasons.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:10 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Suh still has something, if you ask me. But he's old and on his last legs regardless just due to Father Time. We'd sign him, he'd start, but it's short term. I'd rather throw Butler/Farrell to the wolves and get them playing time ASAP, because if both are even decent, we can cross IDL off the early draft boards finally. 

Suh has played the majority of snaps for the Bucs over the last two seasons with 6 sacks in each season and they've had the most dominant run defense in football. I'd love to bring him in on a one year deal as a guy that helped the Rams and the Buccaneers make deep playoff runs. He's 35 but he has never missed a game due to injury and I think having someone like him would be a great influence in the locker room and really help all of our young DT. In our base 3-4 defensive looks i think:

Suh - Farrell - Nichols

Crosby - Deablo - Perryman - Jones

Would be filthy. 

On 5/21/2022 at 7:09 AM, Frankie2Gunz said:

It can't hurt right?  This is his last chance to show he can play in the NFL, if this doesn't work he won't be playing football in a few years. 

I like the fact that we will allegedly be running out a 3/4 base.  Hopefully we have the talent to run a D similar to Pit or Balt. 

I also think the signing of Nichols will be one of our best this offseason as he will be solid against the run and be able to generate a pass rush.  

If we have Ferrell playing OLB who will be our starting DE opposite of Nichols?  I wonder if we kick the tires on Hicks after June 1st?

I think Ferrell will stick around as a rotational piece even if he doesn't last here. But I don't really agree with trying him out OLB, dude is stiff with limited bend at DE. 

Vernon Butler is a big body but he's more of a DE than a NT and Graham loves using three big DL so I could see Nichols, Hankins, and then one of Butler/Farrell starting if we don't bring anyone else in. 

Some of the obvious names that we could bring in though would be Suh, Trey Flowers (has a history w/Graham & Ziegler), or Hicks (has a history with Champ Kelly). If we don't land Suh I think that Flowers could be a nice low risk/high reward signing. He's only 29 and people forget that he was widely regarded as one of the top FA's on the market a couple years ago when he got that $90M deal from the Lions. He was productive in his first year there but just couldn't stay healthy over the last two seasons.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:54 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would really like to add Will Fuller on a 1 year prove it deal.  If he plays the whole season or close to it we will have a lethal WR corp with some solid vet depth.  

Adams-Fuller-Renfrow-Waller-Cole-Robinson...  Good luck covering that ****!

I'd definitely kick the tires on Will Fuller if the price is right, he's basically what Ruggs was supposed to be if he's healthy. He was on pace for 1,300 yards and 13 TD during his last season in Houston before he got suspended for PEDs. And even though he missed most of last season it was due to a finger injury so ideally that time off gave him some time to get healthy. 

I like the idea of Fuller too because he's not a guy that's going to demand or need a ton of targets to be productive. 

Guys that I'd still pursue post June 1st:

• Ndamukong Suh, DL - See above

• Trey Flowers, DL - See above

• JC Tretter, C - Depends on how we view James but could be an upgrade if Parham is at OG

• Anthony Barr, LB - Think we could use his versatility/pass rushing

• Rob Gronkowski, TE - Would love some Waller/Gronk 2 TE sets

• Daryl Williams, OL - Can start at RG/RT

• Akiem Hicks, DL - Same rational as the other two veterans

• Will Fuller, WR - See above 

7 hours ago, NickButera said:

I just don't think I'll be able to live through the media craziness if we sign him. Hell, I won't be able to handle just bringing him in for a workout media craziness 😂

Another 22 for this yr. He lost 19 of his last 22 games. I was never impressed with him after his first yr. To me he was...well Mariota but not as good. He was a one trick pony and once he didn't have a top 3 D he wilted. I don't see how 6 yrs of not playing will make him any better. I mean the Baker Mayfield situation makes me think of Kaep. He just doesn't have the decision making for the current NFL. Just my .02 That being said. If he shows out sign him. I mean best case he helps us win. Worst case he sucks and we never have to hear about him again.

Edited by BigD1123

2 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

Another 22 for this yr. He lost 19 of his last 22 games. I was never impressed with him after his first yr. To me he was...well Mariota but not as good. He was a one trick pony and once he didn't have a top 3 D he wilted. I don't see how 6 yrs of not playing will make him any better. I mean the Baker Mayfield situation makes me think of Kaep. He just doesn't have the decision making for the current NFL. Just my .02 That being said. If he shows out sign him. I mean best case he helps us win. Worst case he sucks and we never have to hear about him again.

I just don't see any reason to sign a backup QB, who will be 35 next season, that hasn't played in 5 years and was 1-10 in his final season playing. It will create a media circus around the team all season as well, just seems like a terrible move.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:23 PM, Humble_Beast said:

would this be too much to ask for to end free agency in early June

• Cut Denzel Good - frees up another 4m - 28m in space space. 4m from Good- 4M current cap- 20m on June1st
  • Sign Erek Flowers - 6m a year - upgrade over Good and a boost to the interior of the OL
  • Sign Suh - 5m - starting hall of fam DL
  • Julio Jones 4-5 M - comes in to be the WR2 
  • Waller extension 
  • Kyle Fuller 3m - wildcard at corner
  • Chris Herndon- 1m - just another guy to compete at tight end 
  • John Ross 1m- camp invite for his speed, could be cut with a weak camp 
  • Brandon Shell 2m- seems to have no market, starting experience who will bring more depth to the OL and competition. Legacy player 
  • Landon Collins- 2m - no market for him, I would bring him in for competition 

is that too much to ask for?

I'd keep Good at this point, if we wanted to cut him to free up an additional $4M I think we would've already done it. 

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Guys that I'd still pursue post June 1st:

• Ndamukong Suh, DL - See above

• Trey Flowers, DL - See above

• JC Tretter, C - Depends on how we view James but could be an upgrade if Parham is at OG

• Anthony Barr, LB - Think we could use his versatility/pass rushing

• Rob Gronkowski, TE - Would love some Waller/Gronk 2 TE sets

• Daryl Williams, OL - Can start at RG/RT

• Akiem Hicks, DL - Same rational as the other two veterans

• Will Fuller, WR - See above 

Such and Flowers would be good fits I think, Hicks was awesome but with him and Flowers there's obvious recent durability issues. Williams would add a steady presence at RT but the one that looks very interesting to me is Barr. Screaming out for a 3-4 OLB role as a pass rusher. Again he's had some injury issues but the ceiling is very high. Fuller adds exactly what you said in the post above but he's seldom around for a full season, though he could make a big impact in the games he does play.

That's a really nice list but realistically I can see only one of those signing.

Just now, Darbsk said:

Such and Flowers would be good fits I think, Hicks was awesome but with him and Flowers there's obvious recent durability issues. Williams would add a steady presence at RT but the one that looks very interesting to me is Barr. Screaming out for a 3-4 OLB role as a pass rusher. Again he's had some injury issues but the ceiling is very high. Fuller adds exactly what you said in the post above but he's seldom around for a full season, though he could make a big impact in the games he does play.

That's a really nice list but realistically I can see only one of those signing.

I love the idea of potentially adding Suh, I know some will argue that he's over the hill but he still played the majority of the snaps for one of the elite run defenses in the league and provided some pass rushing juice with 6 sacks. I just think having a guy like that in the locker room to mentor the young guys and as a guy that has played a key role in two teams making runs to the Super Bowl would be awesome. 

Yeah I'm honestly surprised that Barr hasn't been signed but I'd take a flier on him and see if a change of pace as a situational pass rusher helps him. 

If I had to pick one I'd definitely go with Suh, I think Suh/Flowers/Hicks are all realistic. I can't see us adding Barr or Fuller. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

would this be too much to ask for to end free agency in early June

• Cut Denzel Good - frees up another 4m - 28m in space space. 4m from Good- 4M current cap- 20m on June1st

You've posted this a few times but I feel that if Good is healthy he is absolutely worth that 4 mil both from his versatility to cover the RG and RT spots and also from being an above average OG with experience. He was better than Gabe Jackson when he played and gave us an option at RT that wasn't terrible if Leatherwood and Parker can't get it done. Very valuable IMO. That experience will be vital if he's between two second year players in James and Leatherwood too. 

• Like 2