2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

There is an argument to be made for how much tread is on the tires but at the same time athleticism just goes away as you age.  It is not just a decrease from wear and tear.  Also there is no telling when the drop off happens.  If Waller was the type to use his size and positioning similar to a Gates or Gonzalez then I would agree that maintaining a high level of play would be a lot easier but Waller is not that type.  I am not saying he can not play well for the next 4-5 years.  Just saying the chances of it happening are not as high as some around here may think.

Agreed. 

Last season he was banged up a lot and his production was fairly limited. Does that reverse or continue? Does he rebound this year but start falling off next? People forget how quickly that can happen- look at Jimmy Graham. 

The conundrum is that Waller is going to want top 3-5 TE money. Heck, I'll be the first to say he deserves top 3 TE money. But then I expect a top 3-5 TE for at least a good chunk of that contract. Is Waller really in that position? Last year could very well be an aberration. It could also be year one of a decline by a guy about to be on the wrong side of 30 who had 2 hot years on a team lacking WR options. 

I want a rebound year before we pay him. Usually, I would want to negotiate money with a guy coming off a down year, but again, we all already know what he's going to want. I say prove it first. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

There is an argument to be made for how much tread is on the tires but at the same time athleticism just goes away as you age.  It is not just a decrease from wear and tear.  Also there is no telling when the drop off happens.  If Waller was the type to use his size and positioning similar to a Gates or Gonzalez then I would agree that maintaining a high level of play would be a lot easier but Waller is not that type.  I am not saying he can not play well for the next 4-5 years.  Just saying the chances of it happening are not as high as some around here may think.

You're probably right.

this guy would be an interesting camp invite for cheap. Went to high school in Vegas and from nearby Utah too. Former starting RT of the Lions, and was considered a steal. Lions actually loaded at OL, and he was injured. Could be a sneaky pick up. Solid depth, and competition 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/2/25/22949013/2022-detroit-lions-free-agent-profile-the-curious-case-of-tyrell-crosby

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 6:33 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Agreed. 

Last season he was banged up a lot and his production was fairly limited. Does that reverse or continue? Does he rebound this year but start falling off next? People forget how quickly that can happen- look at Jimmy Graham. 

The conundrum is that Waller is going to want top 3-5 TE money. Heck, I'll be the first to say he deserves top 3 TE money. But then I expect a top 3-5 TE for at least a good chunk of that contract. Is Waller really in that position? Last year could very well be an aberration. It could also be year one of a decline by a guy about to be on the wrong side of 30 who had 2 hot years on a team lacking WR options. 

I want a rebound year before we pay him. Usually, I would want to negotiate money with a guy coming off a down year, but again, we all already know what he's going to want. I say prove it first. 

Waller was on pace for another 90+ catch/1,110+ yard season before he got hurt last season. 

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

this guy would be an interesting camp invite for cheap. Went to high school in Vegas and from nearby Utah too. Former starting RT of the Lions, and was considered a steal. Lions actually loaded at OL, and he was injured. Could be a sneaky pick up. Solid depth, and competition 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/2/25/22949013/2022-detroit-lions-free-agent-profile-the-curious-case-of-tyrell-crosby

Interesting player and definitely could be worth a look. I remember him well from the draft and may have mocked him to us even so I'd certainly be all for bringing him in to see what he can offer.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:48 PM, drfrey13 said:

One positive for Waller is that he really only has 3 years of NFL wear and tear on his body. So even though he'll be 30 this year he really hasn't taken a bunch of hits or had a ton of injuries. I'd extend him with a raise + an additional year so he's on the same 3 year timeline as Carr, Renfrow, and Adams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Renfrow's deal only raised his cap hit by $1M this season so we still have over $20M to work with.

Who should we sign?

A lot of the top FAs are old.

I couldn't imagine OBJ coming to the Raiders.  Don't think we'd be able to afford him.  Stop gap players at OT and DT are available.  

Plus I think we want to resign Waller, Moreau, and Denzel Perryman.  

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Who should we sign?

A lot of the top FAs are old.

I couldn't imagine OBJ coming to the Raiders.  Don't think we'd be able to afford him.  Stop gap players at OT and DT are available.  

Plus I think we want to resign Waller, Moreau, and Denzel Perryman.  

I think that we're waiting until training camp so we can use the money to bring someone in either via trade or free agency if we lose a key piece to injury or the OL struggles. 

OBJ isn't going to get a big deal and he's not even going to be on the field until November/December.

There are some stop gap guys left at both spots.

OT: Daryl Williams, Marcus Cannon, Tyrell Crosby, Eric Fisher, Riley Rieff

DT: Ndamokung Sun, Trey Flowers, Linval Joseph, Sheldon Richardson, Larry Ogunjobi

Other guys I wouldn't mind if we kicked the tires on: Will Fuller, Darius Slayton (if cut), Jackrabbit Jenkins, JC Tretter, Anthony Barr

I think Waller's deal gets redone, I don't see us extending Moreau until next offseason, and Perryman could get a slight raise but it's TBD.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think that we're waiting until training camp so we can use the money to bring someone in either via trade or free agency if we lose a key piece to injury or the OL struggles. 

OBJ isn't going to get a big deal and he's not even going to be on the field until November/December.

There are some stop gap guys left at both spots.

OT: Daryl Williams, Marcus Cannon, Tyrell Crosby, Eric Fisher, Riley Rieff

DT: Ndamokung Sun, Trey Flowers, Linval Joseph, Sheldon Richardson, Larry Ogunjobi

Other guys I wouldn't mind if we kicked the tires on: Will Fuller, Darius Slayton (if cut), Jackrabbit Jenkins, JC Tretter, Anthony Barr

I think Waller's deal gets redone, I don't see us extending Moreau until next offseason, and Perryman could get a slight raise but it's TBD.

Just read he's being paid a little more than 1M this upcoming season and he was just selected for the pro bowl.  I could see him getting a lot more than a slight raise with his 154 tackles, 2 FRs, 1 FF, and 3 PDs.  Looking at those stats though I really wish the guy produced more sacks and INTs.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Just read he's being paid a little more than 1M this upcoming season and he was just selected for the pro bowl.  I could see him getting a lot more than a slight raise with his 154 tackles, 2 FRs, 1 FF, and 3 PDs.  Looking at those stats though I really wish the guy produced more sacks and INTs.

His tackle numbers last year were almost as good as his numbers in his three previous seasons combined. He hasn't ever really been able to stay healthy and we don't know how well he fits in the new scheme, he was a Bradley guy.