2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

12 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

you typed your point out wrong. Spending now means nothing in the long term. Just helps the team out for this upcoming season. I think there's a few vets who can help the team this year. We have over 20m in cap space, idk if we will use it. Who knows, but injuries are hitting the team

We have $20 million in space this year but $3 million next year.  If we spend nothing more this year we roll the $20 over to next year and have $23 before we have to spend $7-8 million on draft picks.  We do not have any real wiggle room next year to cut players to create cap.  Therefore we would have to kick the can down the road like Gruden and Mayock did and restructure players.  That is a ticking timebomb.  The front office had its fun but now is the time to be smart.  If not they are going to back themselves into a corner and have to do something stupid to get out.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'd be open to bringing back Darius Philon too. Guy showed up huge in some important moments. Losing him just before playoffs was actually kindof a big deal.

I like Philon but it depends on the cost.  

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I like Philon but it depends on the cost.  

True. I don't imagine his price would be crazy given the fact he's still out there and is recently removed from a twoish year NFL absence.  

We gave him that chance to restart his career and I've seen him tweeting pro-Raider stuff since last season. Would be a fun reunion if our staff feels we need another DT and Suh is too much.

• Like 1

Speaking of Darryl Williams, another forum poster had this to say:

He allowed 3 sacks and 21 pressures a couple of years ago with an 80 pass blocking grade and last year allowed career high 40 pressures and 9 hits (many of those coming from RG where he was forced to play because of injuries) but still managed to have a 70 pass blocking grade at RT. We have big question marks with Alex (most pressures of any offensive lineman in the NFL as a rookie (65) and had a 29.0 PFF pass-blocking grade) and Parker (9th highest in the league in penalties and 8th in the league in sacks allowed) who had a 54 pass blocking grade. 

PFF grades are trash but the stats about pressures/hits is interesting if they are accurate. Seems like a no brainer.

I'm more worried about DL than OL. We have promising young players in James, Simpson, ParhamLeatherwood, Cotton. We also have vets in Parker, Barr, Elu, even Grossu. On defense we don't have great prospects, just a 4th and 5th round rookies. Rookie lineman usually struggle too. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I'm more worried about DL than OL. We have promising young players in James, Simpson, ParhamLeatherwood, Cotton. We also have vets in Parker, Barr, Elu, even Grossu. On defense we don't have great prospects, just a 4th and 5th round rookies. Rookie lineman usually struggle too. 

You named all those O-linemen but which ones have played well in the league at the positions they are going to play?  I am sorry but that group does not inspire confidence.

• Like 1