Who decided that DVOA matters?

DontTazeMeBro

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

For years I’ve been seeing this fake statistic touted as the be-all end-all metric for measuring how good teams are. So why does the team that leads the league in it almost never win the Super Bowl? Why are we supposed to care about it?

DVOA just spotlights a small sample size, telling you how the team has done in a more I'd say "insightful" way than just looking at base stats. Doesn't guarantee anything. Even then DVOA or DYAR doesn't take into account injuries, and stuff like that. And it's not a predicator more so than just telling you how units have performed even with various variables that DVOA still can't take into account. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

For years I’ve been seeing this fake statistic touted as the be-all end-all metric for measuring how good teams are. So why does the team that leads the league in it almost never win the Super Bowl? Why are we supposed to care about it?

Same reason as the team that leads the league in any other stat almost never wins?

It's just another tool to try to measure how teams are doing compared to one another.

• Like 6

Just now, SkippyX said:

The top 10 is 31.3% of the league. That is not impressive.

So, what statistic "is" impressive? 

W/L record?

Point differential?

The fact that people dislike DVOA simply because they don't understand it is funny.

• Like 1

Just now, Nzd07 said:

So, what statistic "is" impressive? 

W/L record?

Point differential?

The fact that people dislike DVOA simply because they don't understand it is funny.

I have no problem with DVOA. I like everything about Football Outsiders.

I don't think any stat has strong predictive value. Its one of the reasons the NFL is so great.

• Like 2

Just now, SkippyX said:

I have no problem with DVOA. I like everything about Football Outsiders.

I don't think any stat has strong predictive value. Its one of the reasons the NFL is so great.

Of course. Nothing is going to accurately predict a 16-game season with a one-and-done playoff format. But to say that it "doesn't matter" as the OP stated is kind of silly. It'd be different if it had a really bad track record (multiple teams in the bottom half of DVOA winning the SB, for example).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

DVOA had the Packers as the 32nd ranked special teams. That turned out to be a relevant bit of info. 

• Like 4