Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

With Poles interviewing just now and the fact I doubt Rick Smith takes an interview we only have three more GM candidates to interview with are JoJo Wooden who I don't see as a serious candidate...Omar Khan & Morocco Brown who I do expect to be very highly regarded...

When it comes to the HC search we get Frazier today (hell no)...Quinn & Bowles tomorrow then Allen on Tuesday for their first interviews...

Eberflus interviews in person on Monday...

Looks like we will have finalists at GM by Tuesday and at HC by Wednesday so probably make a hire by this time next week...

Having went through Bill Polian's guidelines for hiring an HC I can't see how our next coach is not Matt Eberflus.

Agreed. And it will be Morocco Brown as the GM.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Frankly I’m not sure why a 2nd, in-person GM interview is even necessary. What new is that candidate going to tell you about his vision for the team/roster being asked about it for a second time? Most 2nd interviews are to get input from additional people - in this case, all those we are being told are in on the decision making process were already on the first interviews.

I’m sure the 1st interviews were pretty brief. The next round probably involves a lot more. IIRC the Bears have done stuff like mock press conferences in past GM interviews.

Agree with this. (And I’m not alone.)

Robert Schmitz

@robertkschmitz
· 53m
The more I stew Byron Leftwich the more I think he’s a great HC candidate. - Reports suggest he runs the offense autonomously - His run game/blocking concepts are beautiful - Pass game is well-layered, uses PA well - Experience with 2 very different QBs Huge upside imho.

If we go with an offensive guy then Leftwich is the best candidate we have a shot at IMO.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Morocco Brown

And in order

Brian Daboll

Byron Leftwich

Matt Eberflus

Would make me happy.

I would agree Morocco Brown would make the most sense as a GM…at HC…

1.      Matt Eberflus

2.      Byron Leftwich

3.      Brian Daboll/Dan Quinn (I suspect these guys end up in NY & Denver respectively)

I give the edge to Eberflus because I think him and Brown will know each other and the vision of what Eberflus will come here and do is super clear…we will play tough, fundamental football which will focus on having an excellent offensive & defensive line that will allow us to run the ball and get to the QB…exactly like the Colts but then we add in a playmaker like Fields at the QB position and that should be enough to win a lot of football game.

• Like 1

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero

·

2m

The #Vikings are requesting second interviews with #Chiefs executive director of player personnel Ryan Poles and #Browns VP of Football Operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah for their GM job, per sources. As of now, those are the two finalists.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero

·

2m

The #Vikings are requesting second interviews with #Chiefs executive director of player personnel Ryan Poles and #Browns VP of Football Operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah for their GM job, per sources. As of now, those are the two finalists.

I reckon Poles gets that job...looking into his background he is pretty similar to Ryan Pace in terms of his history and the fact he has only ever worked for one franchise...not sure that is the best apprentice for being a GM.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I expect that someone with some ties to Polian will be hired in some capacity, whether that's at GM, Director of Pro Personnel/College Scouting, Assistant GM, Head Coach, OC/DC, etc.

You just have to accept that will likely be the case given his involvement, and I'm totally fine with that considering a lot of good football people are connected to him.

But yes I kind of get what you're saying about the process being a farce if that's the case.  I mean if they already know who they want then they should just make the hires already..

It seems when people hire an advisor to do the hiring for a big job or a large contract to hand out they often bank or cash in favors.

You see it a lot in big business and govt. of all sizes.

Morocco Brown seems like the obvious choice right now but I think people are overlooking Omar Khan & Joe Hortiz

Both still have to interview with Bears and I already mentioned how Khan has ties to the Bears scouting department along with Byron Leftwich who is a known candidate for us at HC.

I also heard Hortiz would be Jim Harbaugh's choice at GM if he were to take an NFL job and the fact that we are interviewing him keeps that possibility very much in play.

I think if Brown & Eberflus were a shoe in then they would be hired already

• Like 1

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

11m

The #Giants are expected to interview two of their HC candidates — #Bills OC Brian Daboll and DC Leslie Frazier — this weekend in Buffalo, source said. Their new GM Joe Schoen is still in town, so this all makes sense. Both should happen tomorrow.

Would be great if Schoen picked Fraizer instead of Daboll.

Offensive-minded coaches interviewing for HC jobs: Doug Pederson Jim Caldwell Brian Daboll Nathaniel Hackett Byron Leftwich Kellen Moore Brian Callahan Eric Bieniemy Kevin O'Connell Joe Lombardi Mike McDaniel Thomas Brown Luke Getsy Hines Ward Josh McCown Bill O'Brien
Quote Tweet
Dan Duggan

@DDuggan21
· 16m
The Giants should hire the person they think will be the best possible head coach. But the market of proven DCs (Vic Fangio, Wink Martindale, Mike Zimmer, Patrick Graham) is a hell of a lot more impressive than the OC options. Something to at least consider.

This is a pretty fair point.

19 hours ago, CBears019 said:

At this point I’m expecting to see a tweet soon that they are interviewing Lovie Smith to be the HC.

Why not. Would fix the mistakes of the past. 

17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

The fiend!!! Nagy may impersonate the entire staff!!!

shrutedisguise.gif

😄

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Caldwell is a good coach. If you take out the Peyton broken neck tank season he is 60-36 as a HC, he knows offense, he is a QB coach.

We could do much worse than Caldwell.

Caldwell would be a good choice, but far from the best choice...