Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I still don't see why you would bring in a defensive HC no matter how good.    

Fangio is best defensive coach outside of Belichick in the country and he just bombed out in Denver.

Defense is easy to change up on a year to year basis.   Offensive continuity year over year is vital. 

We are already starting over in year two of Fields which was predictable and stupid. 

If we are doing it again in year 3 we likely just wasted that pick and this years first rounder as well.  

I personally would prefer an offensive HC...but at the end of the day your HC can be from any background as long as they are an outstanding leader and can create a culture for everyone to succeed...great OCs & DCs have flamed out as HCs...it's a different skill set...Eberflus seems really highly regarded as an intense culture guy who develops players and gets the best out of them...that is what any HC should be...

I didn't know just how linked in this guy was to the Saban tree...would be interesting to see if he made a run at Bill O'Brien as his OC as he is clearly trying to get back into the pros...one thing is for sure...no one will be dumb enough to make him a HC again hahaha.

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I still don't see why you would bring in a defensive HC no matter how good.    

Fangio is best defensive coach outside of Belichick in the country and he just bombed out in Denver.

Defense is easy to change up on a year to year basis.   Offensive continuity year over year is vital. 

We are already starting over in year two of Fields which was predictable and stupid. 

If we are doing it again in year 3 we likely just wasted that pick and this years first rounder as well.  

Only thing I would argue is that the D is easy to change year to year.  Seems like Desai did some good things but also had a lot of lapses with blown assignments, especially later in the year for whatever that means.

Hundred percent agreement that an offensive coach would be better for the long term success of this team. Our best asset and building block is Fields, and developing him matters more than just about anything else. Swapping OCs if he's succesful does not sound like the way to get there. Like you say, the rules and evolution of the game mean it's really hard to field a dominant defense for years.  Have a good QB in an established offense isn't a golden ticket, but it's a better way to win for years than have "gritty" all over your building. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Only thing I would argue is that the D is easy to change year to year.  Seems like Desai did some good things but also had a lot of lapses with blown assignments, especially later in the year for whatever that means.

Hundred percent agreement that an offensive coach would be better for the long term success of this team. Our best asset and building block is Fields, and developing him matters more than just about anything else. Swapping OCs if he's succesful does not sound like the way to get there. Like you say, the rules and evolution of the game mean it's really hard to field a dominant defense for years.  Have a good QB in an established offense isn't a golden ticket, but it's a better way to win for years than have "gritty" all over your building. 

Plus gritty and culture and what not are just buzz words.

I take the Lou Holtz approach.   When asked how he motivates players, he says he doesn't.   If they aren't motivated he replaces them with someone who is.

It is accountability.   And from film stories it sounds like Bears haven't had it in years.  

You don't win with great speeches or awesome chalk board plays.   You have discipline, precise execution of your scheme and fundamentals. 

You plan practice to achieve these things  If this play calls for a trap block by TE to succeed, by God the TE better be able to make that block.  He needs to have actually practiced that again and again and been critiqued and taught on how he is doing it and given different situations.  

Not line up and run 50 plays real quick against a make shift Defense and go inside and do whatever.   

Best player plays.   Politics don't matter.   Draft status doesn't matter.

That's how you win.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I personally would prefer an offensive HC...but at the end of the day your HC can be from any background as long as they are an outstanding leader and can create a culture for everyone to succeed...great OCs & DCs have flamed out as HCs...it's a different skill set...Eberflus seems really highly regarded as an intense culture guy who develops players nd gets the best out of them...that is what any HC should be...

I didn't know just how linked in this guy was to the Saban tree...would be interesting to see if he made a run at Bill O'Brien as his OC as he is clearly trying to get back into the pros...one thing is for sure...no one will be dumb enough to make him a HC again hahaha.

I still think BOB is radioactive.  At least for Bears in any role.

McDaniels probably is too.

Flores probably is too.   

They don't want eccentric or controversial people.   A Ditka or Buddy Ryan type is not getting hired by these guys.

They like the Pace and Nagy personalities.   If they could keep them without all the criticism they would.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Plus gritty and culture and what not are just buzz words.

I take the Lou Holtz approach.   When asked how he motivates players, he says he doesn't.   If they aren't motivated he replaces them with someone who is.

It is accountability.   And from film stories it sounds like Bears haven't had it in years.  

You don't win with great speeches or awesome chalk board plays.   You have discipline, precise execution of your scheme and fundamentals. 

You plan practice to achieve these things  If this play calls for a trap block by TE to succeed, by God the TE better be able to make that block.  He needs to have actually practiced that again and again and been critiqued and taught on how he is doing it and given different situations.  

Not line up and run 50 plays real quick against a make shift Defense and go inside and do whatever.   

Best player plays.   Politics don't matter.   Draft status doesn't matter.

That's how you win.

Now when I say best player, I still play raw young guys with high end potential over veterans that are better just because they are veterans.

You have to have some process to the soup.  

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I still think BOB is radioactive.  At least for Bears in any role.

McDaniels probably is too.

Flores probably is too.   

They don't want eccentric or controversial people.   A Ditka or Buddy Ryan type is not getting hired by these guys.

They like the Pace and Nagy personalities.   If they could keep them without all the criticism they would.

Maybe not in a top job...as a coordinator I have no issue with it.