What’s the best package we could get for Rodgers?

fattlipp

43 minutes ago, Striker said:

It's still too soon, but i have been getting the creeping feeling as well that the Packers are going to ignore the whole "A year too early vs. a year too late" rule with regards to aging players. Could be setting us up for a 2004-esque season instead of getting resources for a big reload.

I can't believe a scout at heart like Gute doesn't want a ton of draft capital.  Murphy is safe in his job for a few more years .. you'd have to figure Gute and LaFleur would be safe for a few more years as well.  Now is the time to make the move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smidgeon said:

Why do I get the feeling Rodgers is going to stay and the Packers are going to pass on a generational opportunity to add tons of draft picks between him and Adams?

Because when you set your expectations high for the Packers, they will disappoint you.

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I can't believe a scout at heart like Gute doesn't want a ton of draft capital.  Murphy is safe in his job for a few more years .. you'd have to figure Gute and LaFleur would be safe for a few more years as well.  Now is the time to make the move.

That's only one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is that you have a ton of picks and never find a QB. Teams are willing to give away the farm for a lotto chance to find QB's. It never happens the other way around ------- for good reason

Edited by cannondale

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

That's only one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is that you have a ton of picks and never find a QB

Got to find out in 2022 whether Love can play .. if he doesn't show enough the Packers will have to make a move up the draft board in 2023.  The future is now given that crappy cap situation.  Get as much as you can for Rodgers and Adams and reset this organization.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Got to find out in 2022 whether Love can play .. if he doesn't show enough the Packers will have to make a move up the draft board in 2023.  The future is now given that crappy cap situation.  Get as much as you can for Rodgers and Adams and reset this organization.

I won't be heart broken if it happens, but as I've said before, be careful what you wish for

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I won't be heart broken if it happens, but as I've said before, be careful what you wish for

The way I look at it Rodgers won't play more than a two or three more years, so we'll be in a predicament then, and might not have a 1st round QB waiting in the wings.  Also .. you have to strike while the iron is hot if you want a draft bounty.  Those picks could set the Packers up for a decade if they play their cards right.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

CJ

I'm not sure I feel about him yet. Has the arm but that offense is so easy to run, it's hard to tell if he can process the game. How much of it is him and how much is it having a ridiculous receiving room.

For sure, processing is impossible to tell from watching highlights. But what I like is his solid build (6'3, 215ish), and not just his strong arm but also his compact throwing motion and hence, noticeably quick release. It's one thing that concerns me with Love--he has such a long, whippy throwing motion, which explains some of his timing/accuracy issues. He's been in the program 2 years--I'd have figured that would get addressed.

Edited by DWhitehurst

7 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The way I look at it Rodgers won't play more than a two or three more years, so we'll be in a predicament then, and might not have a 1st round QB waiting in the wings.  Also .. you have to strike while the iron is hot if you want a draft bounty.  Those picks could set the Packers up for a decade if they play their cards right.

This line of thinking could squander two or three legitimate shots at a SB. There is no guarantee any draft pick we get for Rodgers end up being a star player. 

I'd much rather we keep kicking that salary-cap can down the road and keep Rodgers as long as possible. If we can bring him and Adams back for the next few seasons (which is easily possible as many members of this board have illustrated) then we should be NFC favorites each of those years. 

Do you think Bucs fans are lamenting bringing Brady, Gronk, Suh, Fournette, etc for two seasons before going into a possibly long rebuild this off season?

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

This line of thinking (trading Rodgers) could squander two or three legitimate shots at a SB. There is no guarantee any draft pick we get for Rodgers end up being a star player. 

There is no guarantee attached to draft picks, true. But equally there is no guarantee of Superbowls in the next two or three years. It is unlikely even with Rodgers at the helm, due to Superbowls being very hard to achieve, also due to Rodgers failure at a crucial time and partly due to the losses this year heavily impacting the overall quality of the team (especially if both Rodgers and Adams are retained).

It seems like you are fearful of change @Sandy but it is coming, either next year or a couple of years down the road. I still believe a trade is the best result for the longer-term future of the team. So, two opposing points of view, both are speculation, so which is the prudent course ?  I guess we will all have to wait and see what happens............. and beyond that, the consequences of whichever decision the Packers make.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

This line of thinking could squander two or three legitimate shots at a SB. There is no guarantee any draft pick we get for Rodgers end up being a star player. 

This year was the best shot we were going to get. Even if we do what you suggest, 2022's roster will be weaker than 2021, and if Rodgers decides to retire mid way through his extension the Packers could be in one of the worst cap hells ever. Choosing to make that decision would be career ending for most of the front office when it finally becomes time to pay the piper. No one keeps the front office and staff through that sort of rebuild. 

Trading Rodgers accelerates the rebuild and if Love shows he's not the guy, gives you ammo to take another shot next year. And love is the guy, you can load up around him with young talent. It puts you in the best position to stay competitive long term without nuking the entire team.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There is no guarantee attached to draft picks, true. But equally there is no guarantee of Superbowls in the next two or three years. It is unlikely even with Rodgers at the helm, due to Suerbowls being very hard to achieve, also due to Rodgers failure at a crucial time and partly due to the losses this year heavily impacting the overall quality of the team (especially if both Rodgers and Adams are retained).

It seems like you are fearful of change @Sandy but it is coming, either next year or a couple of years down the road. I still believe a trade is the best result for the longer-term future of the team. So, two opposing points of view, both are speculation, so which is the prudent course ?  I guess we will all have to wait and see what happens............. and beyond that, the consequences of whichever decision the Packers make.

The player losses this and next year can be easily avoided. The salary cap issues are mostly fabricated by the media outlets to convince people that Rodgers will be traded so people can keep clicking their articles suggesting Rodgers would be dumb enough to be persuaded to go to Denver or Las Vegas 😂

Fact is, just from cutting one of the Smiths and extending/restructuring contracts, they can bring back Adams, Campbell and Douglas while having still more cap to play with for their top 52 players.

I wouldn't say I'm so "fearful of change" as I am looking at this rationally. After the loss I was fully in the camp to trade Rodgers, but the further removed I am from it, the better it seems for both parties if he stays to give it a go a couple more times.

And maybe they don't win any more super bowls, but it's worth a shot.  As Chris Cornell said, "the grass is always greener where the dogs are ****ting". We could go through a stretch like the Lions. Or the Bengals for the last 30 years before now. Or the Jets, Dolphins, Vikings, Washington, Texans, Jaguars, Browns, etc. How many times have those franchises squandered draft capital?

Not to mention - from Rodgers' perspective, which team actually gives him a better shot at a SB? Not an AFC team considering their powerhouse teams right now. He'd have to be traded in conference, something that if Gute has any backbone he would tell him isn't an option.

For better or for worse, it seems we're going to try and bring the band back together for a couple more tries at a championship. If we start presupposing that we won't win one with him in the next three seasons, then sure trading him makes the most sense. But I still think we have a better shot with three seasons of Rodgers than 10 without him.