What’s the best package we could get for Rodgers?

fattlipp

16 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

...and then there is a different Bronco fan that says this

The 9th pick is the single most valuable pick that's likely to be offered.  But Philadelphia can offer more picks then the Broncos can future picks, and they're known values.  The Eagles first two FRPs (#15 and #16) are worth more then the Broncos pick (#9) by roughly a late FRP.  Unless you think there's going to be a significant drop off on the draft board between the Broncos' and Eagles' picks, the Eagles two picks are probably more valuable then the one Broncos pick.

• Like 2

I don't think a team is going to give up an offensive starter in exchange for Rodgers unless that player is also a quarterback.  The goal of trading for Rodgers is "go win a trophy" which is harder to do when you've kneecapped yourself in the near term by jettisoning all of your playmakers.

Draft picks you can get, and they' can throw in a player to obfuscate the value, but young stars no.

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think a team is going to give up an offensive starter in exchange for Rodgers unless that player is also a quarterback.  The goal of trading for Rodgers is "go win a trophy" which is harder to do when you've kneecapped yourself in the near term by jettisoning all of your playmakers.

Draft picks you can get, and they' can throw in a player to obfuscate the value, but young stars no.

I agree in principle.   Rodgers may also want a bit of familiarity...so a Cobb, MVS, Lazard as a FA addition would lesses the need to keep all of Jeudy, Sutton, Patrick, Fant, Albert O.

Edited by squire12

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Fine you’re twisting my arm, I’ll take Surtain 

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The only players on a rookie deal a team would include in a trade like this are guys who a team is inclined to move on from.  Like a Raegor, maybe, but a Surtain or a Jeudy or a Fant absolutely not.

So, you think we should give up the guy who won back-to-back MVP's and not be able to tell them we want ANY player on their roster as part of the compensation return? Glad you're not the GM. 

I personally do not want Fant. He's going into his 4th year, and we already have two guys who are going to get the 5th year option added to their rookie deals in Gary and Savage. He'd be a one-year rental and if you wanted the second year the rent goes way up. 

5 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I feel the same about Jeudy.  3 tds last year, 0 tds this year.  Hurt a big part of this year.  Is he fragile?  Good wheels but you can find that in the draft.  Some talk about he had no QB (Bridgewater,Lock), but we will team him up with Jordan Love and expect more???  

Sorry folks, need more proven production.  

He needs to prove it but he’s not actively bad as Raegor 

Using Stafford's trade as the baseline for any Aaron Rodgers trade. Goff (1st round value) + 2022 1st + 2023 1st and 3rd round compensatory pick.

So essentially the Packers should be aiming for three 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a third round pick. It's a little higher considering Rodgers back to back MVP status. So assuming no other players are involved in the trade this is what we could potentially get:

LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

The Raiders trade Carr to Washington for a 2022 first round pick (#11) and a 2022 fourth round pick.

The Raiders turns around and offer the Packers:

Two 2022 first round picks (#11) and (#22) and a 2023 first round pick.

A 2022 second round pick (#22)

A 2022 third round pick (#22)

MIAMI DOLPHINS:

The Dolphins trade Tua and a third round pick to Houston for a 2022 first round pick (#4) and a 4th round pick.

The Dolphins turns around and offer the Packers:

Two 2022 first round picks (#4) and (#29-#32) and a 2023 first round pick

A 2022 second round pick (#15)

A 2022 third round pick (#29-#32) - Assuming that the #5 pick is packaged in the Tua trade.

All things considered it looks fairly equal. Miami will have the edge due to having the largest salary cap space and having the easier division. Both are warm weather teams and have no income tax. Miami are looking likely to hire Mike McDaniel who will be implementing Shanahan's system which will appeal for Rodgers. However it appears Oakland is in play for Josh McDaniels and would be an attractive HC for Rodgers to work with. The close proximity to California would be a big factor for Rodgers.

Now as news breaks. Tampa is in the market for a new QB but they don't have a QB to trade for another first round pick and they are also only $7m under the cap and Brady will have a $32m cap hit for this season (unless the dead cap rules are different for retired players) so they don't have anywhere near the same flexibility as Miami and Vegas. Due to their cap space alone it's pretty safe to rule out Tampa.

Denver can compete by throwing in a 2024 first round pick or by adding players into the equation. Problem with this from Denver perspective is would Rodgers be around in 2024 to justify giving up a 2024 pick? if he retires at the end of the 2023/24 season they're essentially without a first round pick to draft his replacement. That's why I think throwing players into the deal makes the most sense for the trade to work.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

Using Stafford's trade as the baseline for any Aaron Rodgers trade. Goff (1st round value) + 2022 1st + 2023 1st and 3rd round compensatory pick

Goff without his contract is different than Goff and taking on his contract.  Adding Goff was probably a negative in the package that needed a bit of a "sweetener"

• Like 1