What’s the best package we could get for Rodgers?

fattlipp

18 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Ok, this all true- but hear me out.  Had the packers taken this approach (win now with no regard for the future) in 2008 what would the last 15 years have looked like?

Could a QB search end up being a disaster?  Maybe.  Perhaps it’s even probable.  But a ton of draft capital gets you a really good swing at a good 2023 QB class if Love isn’t the guy.  If you run this back, Love will be traded, and lord knows Gutekunst won’t consider restocking QB with a high pick while Rodgers is here.  You would almost be assuring that the worst possible outcome you fear for the future comes true.  

Who knows ?  If Rodgers failed, what would the last 15 years be like. Maybe we end up with Mahones if we stick with Favre.

The reality is that in the NFL you have a QB or you don't.  If we move on we go from the haves to the have-nots. There's a reason why teams want to throw high picks at us for a 38 year old QB. Its because the novelty of being in the have-nots looking for a QB wears off quickly. 

The huge haul of picks people want could be used to move up to take a QB who turns out to Trubiski. 

Like I said its going to be a fun off-season and draft if we move on but I'd rather watch meaningful games next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

You're right about it being dumb for fans to make extreme assessments based off of 6 quarters on Love, but the coaches saw him in practice every day now for two years, along with all the preseason games last year, and taking every snap with the 1's from Week 9 to Week 19. So as dumb as it is for fans to make assessments, the coaches know. And if the coaches and front office are begging to have Rodgers back....that should tell you all that you need to know. 

Rodgers put up some clunkers in his early action, but he also came out and looked like he more than belonged against the Dallas team in primetime who was the best team in the conference. 

Holy assumptions, Batman!  Talk about a speculative exaggeration!

In all seriousness--and I might have missed an article, the most that has been said is MLF saying that he, Murphy, and Gute are all on the same page for "wanting Rodgers back".  Not unconditionally.  Not even saying it's likely to happen.  I'm not sure how this turned into the narrative that they're begging to have him back (not a dig, I've seen it elsewhere too) or that it implies anything about Love.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smidgeon said:

In all seriousness--and I might have missed an article, the most that has been said is MLF saying that he, Murphy, and Gute are all on the same page for "wanting Rodgers back".  Not unconditionally.  Not even saying it's likely to happen.  I'm not sure how this turned into the narrative that they're begging to have him back (not a dig, I've seen it elsewhere too) or that it implies anything about Love.

I think the Packers are doing their part to ensure that the breakup, if and when it happens, is amiable. Last thing we want to do is to make him upset enough to seriously contemplate retirement over coming back or getting traded. This has nothing to do with Love at all. Just like last year, its all about Rodgers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I think the Packers are doing their part to ensure that the breakup, if and when it happens, is amiable. Last thing we want to do is to make him upset enough to seriously contemplate retirement over coming back or getting traded. This has nothing to do with Love at all. Just like last year, its all about Rodgers.

I fully agree.  I just have seen absolutely no "begging him to come back" or "kissing his a$$" like posters here are claiming.  There's been nothing except "we all agree we'd like for him to come back".

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Sorry you interpreted my bolded sentence incorrectly. Next time I will use all caps.

IF the coaches and front office are begging for Rodgers to come back, that should be telling of what they think of Love. I'm not saying they are. I'm saying IF they do. I've read the articles as well saying Lafleur Gutekunst Ball Murphy are all on the same page as wanting him back until he retires. Do I have proof outside of those articles that it's the truth? Absolutely not. But again, this one's for you, IF that is the case, it should tell you all you need to know.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:53 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

The only players on a rookie deal a team would include in a trade like this are guys who a team is inclined to move on from.  Like a Raegor, maybe, but a Surtain or a Jeudy or a Fant absolutely not.

I was being cheeky, I fully agree with you here

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 12:45 PM, mikemike778 said:

Who knows ?  If Rodgers failed, what would the last 15 years be like. Maybe we end up with Mahones if we stick with Favre.

The reality is that in the NFL you have a QB or you don't.  If we move on we go from the haves to the have-nots. There's a reason why teams want to throw high picks at us for a 38 year old QB. Its because the novelty of being in the have-nots looking for a QB wears off quickly. 

The huge haul of picks people want could be used to move up to take a QB who turns out to Trubiski. 

Like I said its going to be a fun off-season and draft if we move on but I'd rather watch meaningful games next season.

You all do get if Rodgers plays for the Packers next season he then gets to walk free and clear in 2023, So unless Rodgers gets extended and changes his current Packers deal he is eligible to walk next year as a free agent. 

3 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

You all do get if Rodgers plays for the Packers next season he then gets to walk free and clear in 2023, So unless Rodgers gets extended and changes his current Packers deal he is eligible to walk next year as a free agent. 

You do get that he isn't going to play under a 46 million cap hit this year right?  Either he gets extended or he is traded.  That's what we all know around here.

3 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

There is no way the Packers can allow that to happen.  If a new deal can't be worked out in the next month or so they need to send Aaron packing.

22 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Mods: It's time to change the title of this thread to "What's the best package we could get for Love?"

As Lee Corso would say, "not so fast!"

BTW, is Rodgers still engaged? He didn't even mention her in his speech last night. He referred to his, 'inner circle!' Is she a part of that and doesn't get special mention? 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

BTW, is Rodgers still engaged? He didn't even mention her in his speech last night. He referred to his, 'inner circle!' Is she a part of that and doesn't get special mention? 

He was asked afterwards about her, said he was just going to try and stay under the radar with that stuff.

48 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Who was sitting next to him?  Only ONE time did the cameras seem to show it, all the other angles were him alone.  Just curious.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He was asked afterwards about her, said he was just going to try and stay under the radar with that stuff.

Under the radar? That stuff? Sounds like she's down the road. Could anyone imagine referring to their future bride in such terms?

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Not so fast? I've been saying this since last summer before he went out and won another MVP. Rodgers is staying and Love is going. It's not an endorsement necessarily (though I'd do the same if I were the Packers), just a factual statement of what's going to happen.

I will concede that I am less enthusiastic about going a few more rounds with Rodgers come playoff time. But in the end, he gives them the best chance to get to the tournament and you just hope he gets over his mental hurdles. Or at least enough to win the way they did in 2010.