Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

NFL Media reports that a pair of teams are interested in talking to Kevin O’Connell about their head coaching vacancies this week. The Vikings have interviewed O’Connell once and they’d like to have a second conversation with him about the job. The Jaguars would like to have their first interview with O’Connell.

O’Connell’s first interview with the Vikings came before Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was hired as the General Manager. The two men were both in the 49ers organization in 2016 and Adofo-Mensah also worked with current 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans, who is also reportedly on the list of candidates the Vikings want to interview a second time.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/30/reports-jaguars-want-first-interview-vikings-want-second-with-kevin-oconnell/

Didn't Jax hire Leftwich? They must want him to be OC/AHC. 

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, especially Vic Fangio but honestly I would rather have Vic Fangio as the HC than Jim Harbaugh.  Jim is a college guy and should stay as a college guy.  Could say arguably Mike MacDonald his former DC has more pro HC talent and upside than Jim does.  

Jim's enthusiasm gets old after awhile and does not work in the NFL.  He is not as good of a X and O guy compared to his brother Jon and not as good of a leader.  

He's been to 3 NFC championship games?  Why is he just a college guy? 

• Like 2

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

If he is so great why did the 49ers get rid of him and no other team in the NFL wanted him?  His message wore thin as did his coaching style for that age group.  To say the 49ers are not much better off with Kyle Shanahan, well they are.  

I just question Jim's overall X and O knowledge, he brings in good coordinators that make him look good but what exactly he is good at?  Not sure one could even say he is good at QB coaching quite honestly.  Clearly only reason he is getting a look is the relationship he has with Kwesi and even that is probably just a thankyou for the support Jim gave him early in his career.  

He had a very good OL on the 49ers with Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone etc, a HOF running back in Frank Gore, an all time great and HOF TE in Vernon Davis.  A great D with Justin Smith, N. Bowman. A. Brooks, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Rodgers, Whitner and Reid and at WR had Boldin and Crabtree.  I mean that roster was outstanding and that is the reason they won games not Jim's coaching.  Sure his energy connected with that team but worn thin for whatever reason and they let him go after only four years.  

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Agree.  Jim isn't just a college guy.  Urban was a college guy, Steve Spurrier was a college guy...Barry Switzer was a college guy...Chip Kelly was a college guy.  Jim can do both, because he knows how to treat the players differently based on their level...because he was one.  Doesn't mean I'd want him (as I've made clear), but he can do either.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If he is so great why did the 49ers get rid of him and no other team in the NFL wanted him?  His message wore thin as did his coaching style for that age group.  To say the 49ers are not much better off with Kyle Shanahan, well they are.  

I just question Jim's overall X and O knowledge, he brings in good coordinators that make him look good but what exactly he is good at?  Not sure one could even say he is good at QB coaching quite honestly.  Clearly only reason he is getting a look is the relationship he has with Kwesi and even that is probably just a thankyou for the support Jim gave him early in his career.  

He had a very good OL on the 49ers with Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone etc, a HOF running back in Frank Gore, an all time great and HOF TE in Vernon Davis.  A great D with Justin Smith, N. Bowman. A. Brooks, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Rodgers, Whitner and Reid and at WR had Boldin and Crabtree.  I mean that roster was outstanding and that is the reason they won games not Jim's coaching.  Sure his energy connected with that team but worn thin for whatever reason and they let him go after only four years.  

Maybe the 49ers made a mistake like you are adamant that the Dolphins did with Flores. It sounds like there was a power struggle in both situations to an extent. 

Talent can get a team only so far, especially without an elite QB. 

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agree.  Jim isn't just a college guy.  Urban was a college guy, Steve Spurrier was a college guy...Barry Switzer was a college guy...Chip Kelly was a college guy.  Jim can do both, because he knows how to treat the players differently based on their level...because he was one.  Doesn't mean I'd want him (as I've made clear), but he can do either.

I get the concerns about him wanting to much control and not being able to work with the front office  or going to greener pastures but it's crazy to me to act like he can't coach at this level 

On the topic of hiring a HC who will be with the team for a long time I read something interesting that Adam Schefter had shared this morning.

“San Francisco’s Kyle Shanahan and Los Angeles Sean McVay, who were hired in the same coaching cycle in 2017, are now the second- and third-longest tenured head coaches in the NFC, behind only Seattle’s Pete Carroll.”

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I see. Maybe a last second power play by Baalke to get Leftwich to relent. Man, they should force the Khans to sell the team or contract them and the Texans. 

It always amazes me that businessmen who have been smart enough to amass these gigantic fortunes can be so easily blinded by snake oil salesmen like Baalke. Especially when, basically, everyone around them can see the issue and can be screaming the solution at them. 

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I get the concerns about him wanting to much control and not being able to work with the front office  or going to greener pastures but it's crazy to me to act like he can't coach at this level 

Brian Daboll and Nathaniel Hackett are both hired already as head coaches in the NFL, why?  Because they had Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers as their QBs.  How did that work with Tom Brady and the Patriots, OC hired as Head coaches from New England and Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels and Bill O'Brien.  None were successful as head coaches because most of their 'success' was who the QB on New England was.  That is how the game goes, coaches have good players and they make them look good more often than not.  

I say Harbaugh's success in the NFL even though crazy short was mostly to do with the great roster they had not so much about how great he was as a coach.  

Granted it is nice Daboll and Hackett got chances at being a HC but yeah right successful teams lose coordinators because some believe the success had to deal with them when really it did not.  Nick Saban has been losing coordinators for years, nothing is changing and not sure Jim Harbaught is a Nick Saban type in terms of his coaching greatness.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Brian Daboll and Nathaniel Hackett are both hired already as head coaches in the NFL, why?  Because they had Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers as their QBs.  How did that work with Tom Brady and the Patriots, OC hired as Head coaches from New England and Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels and Bill O'Brien.  None were successful as head coaches because most of their 'success' was who the QB on New England was.  That is how the game goes, coaches have good players and they make them look good more often than not.  

I say Harbaugh's success in the NFL even though crazy short was mostly to do with the great roster they had not so much about how great he was as a coach.  

Granted it is nice Daboll and Hackett got chances at being a HC but yeah right successful teams lose coordinators because some believe the success had to deal with them when really it did not.  Nick Saban has been losing coordinators for years, nothing is changing and not sure Jim Harbaught is a Nick Saban type in terms of his coaching greatness.  

So you mention coaches that were helped to get jobs because of great QBs but ignore that Harbaugh has success without a great QB?