Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

2 minutes ago, Frank Costello said:

This has potential to be the biggest move since we landed Favre.

Never been more excited and hopeful as a Viking fan than I am now if we can land Harbaugh.

Going with KAM was a monumental shift in philosophy that the team hasn't seen in decades.

Going with Harbaugh is also a big change, but for the opposite reasons. Very interesting.

• Like 1

I’ve definitely warmed up to the idea of bringing in Harbaugh as the HC. I understand the criticisms for sure. He is an intense person and intense personality, and this could rub people the wrong way, both in management and player personnel. There’s reports from some former NFL players who love him and some who hate him. I personally believe that if you are making everyone happy, you probably aren’t doing your job and pushing for the best out of everyone. I also believe that Baalke probably played a huge role in the issues with management at the 49ers. 

Harbaugh’s track record as far as being a winner is very intriguing to me. The guy… just wins. It’s also not a flash in the pan here or there, but a consistent trend and that has to mean something. If he is willing to leave Michigan, I can’t see him doing it to come to a team that he believes needs a lot of work or years of rebuild in order to be competitive. The only way he makes the jump is if he believes he can come to a team that is a few tweaks away from being a contender. For that matter, I can’t see the Wilf’s or KAM considering bringing him in unless they have done their due diligence and decided that he and his personality will be a fit. Not only will they be needing to pay him top dollar to coach for us, but they will have to buy out his contract AND most likely pay very well for what is expected to be a outstanding cast of coaches (looking at you Fangio and Pep Hamilton). This whole venture is risky and expensive, and if the team is willing to pull the trigger… they have to have more knowledge and comfort with the situation than we even know. If KAM had concerns about their working relationship, given their history in SF, then that would have taken Harbaugh off the table.

Now, my biggest concern with Harbaugh is what the lifespan of the relationship looks like. As many have pointed out, he could be quick to jump ship if the waters on the horizon look rough. My thought here, though, is if he is only here for 3-5 years but we are able to get our first Lombardi trophy ever… it is 100% worth it. I want long term success as much as the next guy, but aside from the Patriots of the NFL, teams fluctuate in success in 3-5 year oscillations. Sometimes major rebuilds are needed. If we get through 3 years of Harbaugh and things are pointing down, then KAM and Harbaugh will be out and we can start over. That’s the reality of the NFL: just like every draft pick won’t work out, every head coach and GM isn’t going to be a success. I’d rather take a stab with a proven commodity like a Harbaugh and expect excellence than to take more of an unknown and hope for brilliance…. Although I am 100% on board for any of our other top candidates, be it O’Connel or Morris. 

• Like 3

Could care less if he only is here 3-4 years. Heck his contract is prolly for 3-4 years. No need to worry about all these things. get the best coach you can and move forward. Lots of media attention would come Minny way with JH here. He is damn good and everyone knows it and he is so animated that media/commentators would love covering him. NFL would love him because, they want the top HC personalities in the NFL too. 

I’ll be happy with a Rams coordinator, but it’s a no brainer to get JH if there is an opportunity. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Could care less if he only is here 3-4 years. Heck his contract is prolly for 3-4 years. No need to worry about all these things. get the best coach you can and move forward. Lots of media attention would come Minny way with JH here. He is damn good and everyone knows it and he is so animated that media/commentators would love covering him. NFL would love him because, they want the top HC personalities in the NFL too. 

I’ll be happy with a Rams coordinator, but it’s a no brainer to get JH if there is an opportunity. 

Absolutely. Give harbaugh a 4 year deal so that he gets one chance to run it back with Cousins and then 3 seasons to draft and develop a first round QB and see what happens.

3 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I’ve definitely warmed up to the idea of bringing in Harbaugh as the HC. I understand the criticisms for sure. He is an intense person and intense personality, and this could rub people the wrong way, both in management and player personnel.

I'm starting to warm up to it as well after being 100% against him coming here.

I just hope that if we do hire him, he's not going to jump ship the second he deduces that the team won't win (i.e. 2022 or 2023) and coaches out his contract or longer nor will enter a power struggle with KAM.

My number one concern surrounding Jim Harbaugh is what he’s going to do with the offense. Harbaugh has never been much of a forward thinker when it comes to offense, he actually has a very old school approach 🤢

Will Harbaugh come in and adapt to today’s NFL? Or is he going to just come in and try and run what he ran nearly a decade ago, and hope it works? 

• Like 2

So in the contract if they do sign Harbaugh as the HC could there be a guarantee that he must have Vic Fangio as the DC?  That really sweetens the deal!

The defense could make the switch.

OLB Danielle Hunter / Kenny Willekes / Patrick Jones 
DE Michael Pierce / James Lynch
NT Dalvin Tomlinson / Jordon Scott
DE Armon Watts / Sheldon Richardson
OLB DJ Wonnum / Janarius Robinson / Chazz Surratt

ILB Eric Kendricks / Blake Lynch
ILB Troy Dye / Chazz Surratt

CB Kyle Fuller
CB Ahmad Gardner / Cameron Dantzler 
SS Harrison Smith
FS Cam Bynum / Josh Metellus

I assume they could sign Kyle Fuller who would be an upgrade over Peterson and knows Fangio's system, I think Hunter and Wonnum could easily take playing 3/4 OLB, same with Robinson.  Willekes and Jones might have a harder time with it.  Lynch played it in college, Chazz could maybe be a OLB but more likely a coverage ILB type.  Pierce and Tomlinson both have played in a 3/4 as well so that should not be a problem.  

Ideally draft Gardner as the other CB but who knows if that happens, then maybe fill in a FS or use Cam who knows.  It could work pretty easy the transition.  Not sure they could bring back Sheldon Richardson but he could fit in the system also, even Everson could do it and if he is only asking around $1 mil is well worth it for the production he gives.  

Might have to draft a more tough physical ILB opposite Kendricks though but that would not be hard, and of course a nickel corner also.  

• Like 1

Norm Van Brocklin...
Bud Grant...
Les Steckel...
Jerry Burns...
Dennis Green...
Mike Tice...
Brad Childress...
Leslie Frazier...
Mike Zimmer...

what do all these MINN head coaches have in common, career wise...? None of them were ever NFL head coaches before becoming one with the Vikings. Only Grant had head coaching experience, in the CFL.

If we go with Harbaugh, he breaks that trend.