Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Jraider91 said:

I mean Cam was awful in NE, so not sure he is a feather in the cap. Cassell, absolutely is 

Kind of the point. Cam was washed, had no supporting cast and McDaniel's structured and offense around him that allowed him to rush for 12 TDs. That team had no business winning 7 games, but they did. 

Then they won 10 games with Mac Jones when nobody saw it coming. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Kind of the point. Cam was washed, had no supporting cast and McDaniel's structured and offense around him that allowed him to rush for 12 TDs. That team had no business winning 7 games, but they did. 

Then they won 10 games with Mac Jones when nobody saw it coming. 

To me this is actually the feather and McDaniels cap. It's getting a rookie Play competent quarterback by building a system that would help him be successful also getting someone like Cam Newton who shouldn'tve be a starting quarterback in the NFL in 2020 and still having a functional and successful offense because he created a system that allows him to succeed. Now don't get me wrong the defense also helped with that but I felt like McDaniels did his part

In the seasons that Josh McDaniels has been a football coach (either assistant, OC or HC) where he has not had Tom Brady as his QB (DEN 2009-10, STL 2011, NE 2020-21) he has amassed a 30-48 overall record and is 0-1 in the playoffs. 

As a Broncos fan, I’m getting my popcorn ready. Buckle up, Raider Nation, it’s going to be an … uh … interesting 2-3 years for ya’ll. 

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

In the seasons that Josh McDaniels has been a football coach (either assistant, OC or HC) where he has not had Tom Brady as his QB (DEN 2009-10, STL 2011, NE 2020-21) he has amassed a 30-48 overall record and is 0-1 in the playoffs. 

As a Broncos fan, I’m getting my popcorn ready. Buckle up, Raider Nation, it’s going to be an … uh … interesting 2-3 years for ya’ll. 

LOL I think someone is still mad at Josh for trading away solid players and wasting draft picks. 
Good thing we didn't give him control of the roster, like some other team did. 

Also, your stats are wrong. I think you purposely left out some key NE years/ games without TB, that they did well. Im guessing you were trying to make your stats look better, because you knew you were coming in here with a weak argument to start 

Cheers!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

LOL I think someone is still mad at Josh for trading away solid players and wasting draft picks. 
Good thing we didn't give him control of the roster, like some other team did. 

Also, your stats are wrong. I think you purposely left out some key NE years/ games without TB, that they did well. Im guessing you were trying to make your stats look better, because you knew you were coming in here with a weak argument to start 

Cheers!

You gave McD a yes-man GM, which is why he left to take the Raiders job so he can have final say. Ziegler and him go back forever. And I looked at season records from where he was a coach and didn’t have TB12. I wasn’t trying to troll or start a fight - I’ve been at this forum for 16 years, that’s not my MO, never has been. Sorry if you took it that way.

If like your new coach and think you made a great hire, good for you. I’d suggest putting your fandom aside and looking at McD’s tenures outside NE and without Brady as well as looking at the track record of Belichick assistants as HCs, objectively. 

We’ll see how the next 2-3 years play out. Best of luck to you guys. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You gave McD a yes-man GM, which is why he left to take the Raiders job so he can have final say. Ziegler and him go back forever. And I looked at season records from where he was a coach and didn’t have TB12. I wasn’t trying to troll or start a fight - I’ve been at this forum for 16 years, that’s not my MO, never has been. Sorry if you took it that way.

If like your new coach and think you made a great hire, good for you. I’d suggest putting your fandom aside and looking at McD’s tenures outside NE and without Brady as well as looking at the track record of Belichick assistants as HCs, objectively. 

Fair enough, but do you not think he should get some credit for going 11-5 with Matt Cassell or 3-1 with Jimmy G/ Brissette? Or does it not count because Brady was still there? 

The Rams was bad, Bradford got injured mid season (though they were already bad), but that was a pretty talent depleted team. 
The broncos, he traded away a lot of key players. And was fired midway through year 2. With Tebow as his QB. 

So while yes he was overall bad in Den / STL, he had Orten, Tebow, a young Bradford and his backup. Not much to work with. 

I guess, as a Raider fan I see coach turnover a lot, and I have always said you really need to commit to a guy for at least 3 years. Especially if you are giving them roster control. 

Hopefully he has grown as a leader and coach. I cannot tell you that he for sure has or hasnt. 
You are trying to say he for sure hasnt grown or learned, I am not there yet. 

He was not my first choice, but I think Offensively its a good hire, I jsut dont know what his coaching staff will look like and it worries me. 

44 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'm in that boat. The things he did were just so bad, I'm waiting to see. I like that he fessed up at the press conference, that was great and very mature. But making your new Indy staff sign contracts before you sign yours and bouncing, 3 years ago? That's recent immaturity. Completely unjustifiable and inexcusable. Shows me someone who's character trait is just to be deceitful instead of communicate through the problem.  

I'll believe and be excited about what he can bring to the football field. But until he can prove to me he makes good decisions regarding people, he does not have the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

To me this is actually the feather and McDaniels cap. It's getting a rookie Play competent quarterback by building a system that would help him be successful also getting someone like Cam Newton who shouldn'tve be a starting quarterback in the NFL in 2020 and still having a functional and successful offense because he created a system that allows him to succeed. Now don't get me wrong the defense also helped with that but I felt like McDaniels did his part

Unless I am misunderstanding you the Pats O wasn't functional or successful. 27th in the league in points 

28 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Just looked at the drafting under jmd with the Broncos 🤦🏽‍♂️ Lots of fail. Arguably mm drafted better and that’s not saying a lot. Hope for the best tho

14 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Fair enough, but do you not think he should get some credit for going 11-5 with Matt Cassell or 3-1 with Jimmy G/ Brissette? Or does it not count because Brady was still there? 

The Rams was bad, Bradford got injured mid season (though they were already bad), but that was a pretty talent depleted team. 
The broncos, he traded away a lot of key players. And was fired midway through year 2. With Tebow as his QB. 

So while yes he was overall bad in Den / STL, he had Orten, Tebow, a young Bradford and his backup. Not much to work with. 

I guess, as a Raider fan I see coach turnover a lot, and I have always said you really need to commit to a guy for at least 3 years. Especially if you are giving them roster control. 

Hopefully he has grown as a leader and coach. I cannot tell you that he for sure has or hasnt. 
You are trying to say he for sure hasnt grown or learned, I am not there yet. 

He was not my first choice, but I think Offensively its a good hire, I jsut dont know what his coaching staff will look like and it worries me. 

Okay so you got me on one there, an oversight on my part, I forgot about the Brady injury season in 2008.

As far as Jimmy G, he’s not a great QB but he’s been a winner both in NE under BB/McD and in SF under Kyle. But counting a few extra wins for McD on those Brady-less teams I don’t believe invalidates my initial point. 

I know what I saw here first hand and what I’ve see I’ve seen from BB assistants league wide for the last 15 years. Pairing them with NE GMs and/or giving them total control (in addition to McD here, see Patricia/Quinn in DET and BoB in HOU) has led to even more disastrous results. 

Maybe he has grown and matured and learned and developed and will be better. But history says otherwise.

As someone in the Broncos forum said the other day, when McD took the job in Denver he was only 32, yes, but he was also a married man with kids who spent his whole life in football. After he failed here and in STL he went back to the same system with the same QB under the same ownership/HC/GM, how much really can he have changed? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

But we have Carr what QB's did those teams have?

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wrong, won 11 games in 2008 with matt cassell and had top 5 adjusted DVOA offense. 3rd in points.