Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

That's the main concern, really. Especially so coming after Bisaccia who was universally liked by the players.

McDaniels is saying all the right things, but I think we still need to be cautious. It's one thing to identify where you've gone wrong before; it's another to actually have the capability to change.

Exactly.

There are very, very few people questioning how smart Josh McDaniels is. Players say it about him, Coaches do too.

Being a Coach is not even close to being the same as a Head Coach. It doesn't matter if you are still calling the plays.

You've all probably come to realise us Bronco fans are incredibly bitter about Josh's stint here, but it doesn't mean what we're saying isn't true (well, most of it anyway).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Exactly.

There are very, very few people questioning how smart Josh McDaniels is. Players say it about him, Coaches do too.

Being a Coach is not even close to being the same as a Head Coach. It doesn't matter if you are still calling the plays.

You've all probably come to realise us Bronco fans are incredibly bitter about Josh's stint here, but it doesn't mean what we're saying isn't true (well, most of it anyway).

I get why Broncos fans would enjoy this hire and think McDaniels is going to fail - Raiders fans almost certainly would do the same if the roles were reversed. I mean, if the internet existed in the mid-90s when a very similar situation was playing out with Mike Shanahan, I think there might have been lots of Raiders fans clowning that one. Unfortunately we all know how that ended for our respective teams.

If it was only the work in Denver we were basing McDaniels on then I would be more inclined to support him and chalk that one off as youthful ignorance. However the Colts situation a few years ago is still a big red flag for me. Not that he didn’t take the job, which was perfectly understandable if he didn’t think that was an ideal place for him; but in the manner he did it. That decision negatively affected a lot of people.

However, sometimes people also need the right situation around them to succeed as well. It seems McDaniels tried to be the man in Denver when he was ill equipped to do so; taking on too much responsibility at once and in trying to do things his way alienating himself from far too many people at once. It’s possible that this could happen again but I’m hopeful that by Mark Davis surrounding him with a strong front office situation who will have personnel responsibility but that Josh can also trust, there will be less potential for the issues he had previously. He also can’t afford to mess this one up, because if he does he’s done as HC at this level forever: and if that’s not incentive to work on your failings then I don’t know what is. Maybe the drive to prove the Broncos wrong like Shanahan clearly had against the Raiders will help as well.

I’d place my feeling as ‘cautiously optimistic’ at this point. With emphasis on the caution…

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I get why Broncos fans would enjoy this hire and think McDaniels is going to fail - Raiders fans almost certainly would do the same if the roles were reversed. I mean, if the internet existed in the mid-90s when a very similar situation was playing out with Mike Shanahan, I think there might have been lots of Raiders fans clowning that one. Unfortunately we all know how that ended for our respective teams.

If it was only the work in Denver we were basing McDaniels on then I would be more inclined to support him and chalk that one off as youthful ignorance. However the Colts situation a few years ago is still a big red flag for me. Not that he didn’t take the job, which was perfectly understandable if he didn’t think that was an ideal place for him; but in the manner he did it. That decision negatively affected a lot of people.

However, sometimes people also need the right situation around them to succeed as well. It seems McDaniels tried to be the man in Denver when he was ill equipped to do so; taking on too much responsibility at once and in trying to do things his way alienating himself from far too many people at once. It’s possible that this could happen again but I’m hopeful that by Mark Davis surrounding him with a strong front office situation who will have personnel responsibility but that Josh can also trust, there will be less potential for the issues he had previously. He also can’t afford to mess this one up, because if he does he’s done as HC at this level forever: and if that’s not incentive to work on your failings then I don’t know what is. Maybe the drive to prove the Broncos wrong like Shanahan clearly had against the Raiders will help as well.

I’d place my feeling as ‘cautiously optimistic’ at this point. With emphasis on the caution…

I think almost all of this is absolutely fair. The one bit I do disagree on though is the bold and underlined bit.

I read this a lot, but the guy was 32 years old with a wife and kids - he wasn't some spotty teenager going through puberty. Can we really expect him to mature that much from when he was a fully grown adult already?

Time will tell, I guess. It's certainly put some needed 'oomf' in the rivalry that is for sure.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think almost all of this is absolutely fair. The one bit I do disagree on though is the bold and underlined bit.

I read this a lot, but the guy was 32 years old with a wife and kids - he wasn't some spotty teenager going through puberty. Can we really expect him to mature that much from when he was a fully grown adult already?

Time will tell, I guess. It's certainly put some needed 'oomf' in the rivalry that is for sure.

I don't look at it so much as maturity, as just growth and education. He tried to be something he's not. He tried to emulate what he saw from Belichick who was/is among the most successful coaches in history. But you have to be your own man. Plenty of 30 year olds learn this lesson in corporate America when thrust into leadership roles they are not ready for. 

I didn't see him so much as immature. More just in way over his head. Hired way to early in his coaching journey. Paired with Cutler who thought he was something special. Then had to deal with Marshall mouthing off publicly after basically quitting on the team. Heck, wasn't Shanahan sick of his crap before he was fired? 

He did not handle it well, but he walked into a hornets nest with some diva star players. Things got off to a terrible start and McDaniels attempts be a hard *** Belichick parody compounded it. 

He's coming into a solid locker room, with a humble QB and some good leadership. He's got trusted people in the front office. If he screws this up terribly, I will be surprised. 

The perception by some is he's going to crash this franchise into the sun. I don't think that's the case here. 

• Like 3

He's had to deal with his fair share of controversy, and it seemed that a lot of it wasn't his fault. It's not like what's been going on in Vegas will be any easier on him though, he's going to have to have control of the team early on. He has spent a lot of time on the Patriots, and I could see that helping him. 

8 hours ago, Totty said:

I wasn't going to bring it up, but you named 22 QBs in your post the other day as well......

There is also 02/02/22 and 02/22/22 in this month both of them....wait for it.....falling on a TWOsday

Edited by BigD1123

I am comfortable with the hires. Two things remain outstanding for me...

1. We need to get the DC in the building so we can start deciding on schemes and scouting players accordingly (which incidentally is McDaniels down in Mobile?)

2. Derek Carr's silence over the hire is bad - this is labelled not a rebuild but if we have to get a rookie QB it sort of is a rebuild

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

I am comfortable with the hires. Two things remain outstanding for me...

1. We need to get the DC in the building so we can start deciding on schemes and scouting players accordingly (which incidentally is McDaniels down in Mobile?)

Neither McDaniels or Ziegler is in mobile from what I have read. Just the scouts are there.