Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

31 minutes ago, true2form said:

Not saying he was the frontrunner or deserved to be the choice, but DC was certainly in the MVP discussion when we were 5-2 before the wheels fell off.  

DC needs his weapons available, which seems to be a big ask for the Raiders for some reason.  I mean, would Mahomes be in the convo if Hill was in jail and Kelce missed half the season hurt? 

I think they can make it work with McDaniels.  Can the Raiders flip their luck? That's the bigger question.

That’s my thing, guys act like a QB needing weapons is some out of this world ask lol 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

My Condolences, between he and Tom McMahon....recipe for DISASTER !! 

And yet... the Broncos new coach is a former failed OC who was fired, who then rode the games best QB to a job while not calling plays. And their only hope at success is fantasy that said QB will come to Denver and save their failing franchise. My condolences to you to sir.

• Like 4

On 2/8/2022 at 11:12 AM, Geezy said:

That’s my thing, guys act like a QB needing weapons is some out of this world ask lol 

The problem with Carr is not that there is a fall off when his weapons go down.  That happens with every QB.  It is how much of a fall off he has when his weapons go down.  Take Rodgers as an example.  Over the past 3 years Adams has missed 7 games.  In those 7 games Rodgers has thrown 19 TDs, 1 Int, and averaged 292 yards per game.  The Packers also won all 7 games.  I am not saying Carr should be Rodgers but it would be nice if he could step it up a little.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

And yet... the Broncos new coach is a former failed OC who was fired, who then rode the games best QB to a job while not calling plays. And their only hope at success is fantasy that said QB will come to Denver and save their failing franchise. My condolences to you to sir.

And yet perspective, trying to rear it's ugly head......could be a very interesting season. I can say I saw the first-hand dysfunction McD caused in his time here, same goes for McMahon. As for Hackett, he's was the OC for a 2-time MVP, went to two NFCC games, even molded Blake Bortles into an AFCC game QB. I'll take my chances, hope you enjoy the chaos.

And if I recall, you, BP, were all over the Broncos forum at the time spouting what a disaster McD was in his Broncos time, sure hope he has learned a thing or two since then. 

Edited by Cutler06

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

And yet perspective, trying to rear it's ugly head......could be a very interesting season. I can say I saw the first-hand dysfunction McD caused in his time here, same goes for McMahon. As for Hackett, he's was the OC for a 2-time MVP, went to two NFCC games, even molded Blake Bortles into an AFCC game QB. I'll take my chances, hope you enjoy the chaos.

And if I recall, you, BP, were all over the Broncos forum at the time spouting what a disaster McD was in his Broncos time, sure hope he has learned a thing or two since then. 

That was a very long time ago and people learn, grow, and change. Regardless of your thoughts on him, this must be acknowledged. 

• Like 1

Not saying McDaniels is gonna work out, might not, but think of yourself running a team or business now and think of yourself running a team or business 12 years ago. Most would probably say “Damn I would been awful at that 12 years ago”. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

If we had this message board in 1989 we would have told you the same about Mike Shanahan. 😁

• Like 3

15 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The problem with Carr is not that there is a fall off when his weapons go down.  That happens with every QB.  It is how much of a fall off he has when his weapons go down.  Take Rodgers as an example.  Over the past 3 years Adams has missed 7 games.  In those 7 games Rodgers has thrown 19 TDs, 1 Int, and averaged 292 yards per game.  The Packers also won all 7 games.  I am not saying Carr should be Rodgers but it would be nice if he could step it up a little.

Then why compare to Rodgers? This is the hyperbole I’ve been talking about. Why not compare to Tanny, Ryan, or Stafford? Comparing Carr to a guy who can rewrite record books after Brady just retired is pretty unfair. 

14 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

He didn't call plays in Green Bay. He was the OC for a QB who was already established as the top QB in the game. And had the top WR in the game. Hardly an endorsement. Anyone could succeed in that spot. 

The Jags defense lead them in 2017. In 2018, the offense regressed and he was fired swiftly. 2017 was a blip on the radar of an otherwise lackluster time in Jacksonville. And before that Buffalo.

As for McDaniels, yes I did enjoy watching the Broncos imploded around him. But, that was a decade ago and I'm optimistic he's learned a thing or two since then. And he's got a much better team this go round.

If nothing else, I will enjoy the rebirth of this rivalry assuming Denver shows up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Then why compare to Rodgers? This is the hyperbole I’ve been talking about. Why not compare to Tanny, Ryan, or Stafford? Comparing Carr to a guy who can rewrite record books after Brady just retired is pretty unfair. 

Do you want Tanny, Ryan, or Stafford?  I want an upgrade and believe we should be seeking out one.  I am not saying that Carr should play like Rodgers but that is the reason why I would be looking to improve upon Carr.  I still think Carr has plenty of room to grow but he has shown an inability to overcome his psychological issues and is to risk adverse to ever maximize his physical traits.  Also a reason why he is so frustrating and I compare him to having a hot wife that does not want to put out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

No one is saying DC is an all time great QB, so idk why we’re comparing him to one. If you have other examples, I’m all ears. But look at Matt Stafford, someone I’d put on the same tier as DC. Crumbled year after year in a **** situation in Detroit. But put some talent around him and now he’s an MVP/HOF type candidate. 

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

No one is saying DC is an all time great QB, so idk why we’re comparing him to one. If you have other examples, I’m all ears. But look at Matt Stafford, someone I’d put on the same tier as DC. Crumbled year after year in a **** situation in Detroit. But put some talent around him and now he’s an MVP/HOF type candidate. 

I am not saying he should be although I think he has the physical skills to get a lot closer.  I am saying we should try to upgrade at the position to get closer to that level.  The divide between elite QBs and Carr is wide enough that we should be looking to improve.  

And what would that plan be? Specifically for this year? We’ve already discussed ad nauseum the fact that free agency and the draft this year are doo doo. Lol. Give up picks (multiple firsts especially) for Rogers rental, or maybe k Murray? Lol! Daniel Jones stopgap? Or better yet how bout Watson and his baggage? Pretty sure mcd and Ziegler are aware of this. And this is NOT some dc love fest post. I’m perfectly aware of his flaws bro. IMO, this is a silly discussion for this particular year. Period!

• Like 1