2021 Super Bowl GDT Thread: (4) Rams vs (4) Bengals

NYRaider

Winner?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

• Rams
    • Bengals

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think some are seriously under rating the 2nd half adjustments Lou Anaroumo has made this post-season, and the A+ execution of those adjustments by a group of really solid players led by Bates, Hendrickson, and Wilson.

Ha like minds.  i just addressed this.

I think it's natural for people to associate good play with good offense, and good defense with luck.  Mainly because it looks like the opposing team is just fizzling as opposed to being shut out by a good defense.  A lot of that is bc the camera only shows the offense.  you can't see anything the defense is really doing because only 4-5 of them are on camera for the bulk of the play.

IMO, Cincinnati's secondary has been on fire and potentially been playing their best football of the season the last 3 games.  and maybe the best of any team in the playoffs (caveat i haven't watched as closely, or read up on analysis of other teams as much as the Bengals).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Ha like minds.  i just addressed this.

I think it's natural for people to associate good play with good offense, and good defense with luck.  Mainly because it looks like the opposing team is just fizzling as opposed to being shut out by a good defense.  A lot of that is bc the camera only shows the offense.  you can't see anything the defense is really doing because only 4-5 of them are on camera for the bulk of the play.

IMO, Cincinnati's secondary has been on fire and potentially been playing their best football of the season the last 3 games.  and maybe the best of any team in the playoffs (caveat i haven't watched as closely, or read up on analysis of other teams as much as the Bengals).

Going to be interesting to see how they deal with Super Cooper Kupp. Arizona is the only team to hold him to less than 90 yards this year.

18 minutes ago, theJ said:

i was reading some analysis from various twitter analysists this morning.  two adjustments the bengals made in the 2nd half confused and limited Mahomes effectiveness

1. They went from a cover 2 shell to a single high safety look, using the high safety to bracket the deep shots the Chiefs were attempted.  Jessie Bates balled out.
  2. They gave Mahomes a lot of weird personnel fronts (3 DL/1 LB/7 CB), rushing 3 and dropping 8.  they didn't get quick pressure, but the underneath stuff was well covered, and Bates had the stuff over the top locked up.
    1. Mahomes vs 3-man rushes in the 2nd half/OT:
      1. 12 drop backs
      2. 29.1 QB Rating
      3. 3/8, 15 yards
      4. 1 INT
      5. 4 Sacks

Yeah I mean basically they needed the GOAT game from a 3-man pass rush and got it against Patrick Mahomes lol 

Like, statistically nothing they did should've worked, but it did.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I wonder if they'll make the gutsy call and leave Ramsey on Chase 1v1.  If they have Ramsey shadow Chase AND give him safety help over the top, then that's going to give Boyd and Higgins a lot of opportunity to eat.  Both are fully capable working all three levels of route tree.

We don't have Ramsey shadowing much this year. We mostly play zone anyways.

And the good news there is.....while I think Chase is amazing, all three are capable, as you say. So I'd expect a similar game plan to what we did to Tampa in week 3 when they had Godwin healthy.

He probably will follow him some in critical situations.

Playing elite WRs is nothing new to us though. We go against Wilson/Metcalf/Lockett twice a year, and have gone against Tampa healthy twice in the past two years.

This game will ultimately come down to the Rams offense vs the Bengals defense

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I wonder if they'll make the gutsy call and leave Ramsey on Chase 1v1.  If they have Ramsey shadow Chase AND give him safety help over the top, then that's going to give Boyd and Higgins a lot of opportunity to eat.  Both are fully capable working all three levels of route tree.

If we have Ramsey shadow Chase, we'll be focusing our help towards Darious Williams's side. 

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Burrow ring second year? Wilson did it, Brady did it, Ben did it. Not sure who else. Doesn’t happen often at all. I think the birth of a great career is upon us. 

He’ll be the first #1 draft pick to win a ring his second year.

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Rams: Built through aggressive trades and free agency. Does not believe in the draft at all. 

Bengals: Completely homegrown and almost 100% built through the draft. 

Which method will prevail? 

Bengals built their defense through big FA spending the last two years though.

DE - Henderickson - '21 (3rd rd in pick in '17 for NO) - $14.5 mill cap #

NT - Reader - '20 (5th rd in '16 for Hou) - $13.7 mill cap

CB - Awuzie - '20 (2nd rd in '17 for Dallas - $7.3 mill cap #

SS - Bell - '20 (2nd rd in '16 for NO) - $7.5 mill cap #

NB - Hiton - '21 (CFA 2016 for Jags, but only played for Pitt) - $5.0 mill cap #.

58 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well yeah this makes sense since there will be more Bengals fans there than Rams fans

This would be true of the Chargers or the Rams vs SF. I doubt it will be true in the SB.

The 49ers built a statewide (LA) and national fanbase by beating the Bengals twice and winning 3 more times. They were in a SB 2 years ago.

The Bengals are probably the 2nd or 3rd (slight exaggeration) most popular team in Ohio. (lots of Steelers fans) I doubt they are better than 27th in fans outside of their home state.

Edited by SkippyX

8 hours ago, kramxel said:

Must confess I'm salty to see the Bengals in the SB....

Still can't believe we lost to the freakin Texans!

I’m not salty at the Bengals. I’m salty at losing to the Texans but especially to the Raiders.