2021 Super Bowl GDT Thread: (4) Rams vs (4) Bengals

NYRaider

Winner?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

• Rams
    • Bengals

4 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

This was my initial leaning and the more I look into it, the more the Rams look like they should be the significant favorites (more so than the line suggests). Outside of the Rams TO propensity over the past two months (the great NFL equalizer) and McVay's second half conservatism/questionable game management, I cannot create a compelling argument for the Bengals that isn't based on vague narratives. The Bengals can win this game, I'm not discounting them, but the best comp I can make for their team/roster is a budget version of Tampa Bay, and the Rams have smoked them each time (outside of becoming a turnover factory in the divisional round).

Its still early on but I still haven't heard of any real advantage matchups the Bengals might have outside of their kicking game and that concerns me as it shouldn't take that long if definitive matchups in the Bengals favor do exist (please do let me wrong, I want this to be a competitive/close game). But when you see the Rams advantage on both lines, at QB (arguable but statistically true), at coach, Burrow's difficulties facing quarters coverages throughout the season etc... and I think this will be fairly similar to last years matchup.

The Rams propensity for turnovers, the Bengals have been taking advantage of almost every TO opportunity all playoffs long. If Bengals offense can negate the Rams pass rush, short throws, screens and wear them out, I see the Bengals at least making this competitive.  Bengals O has weapons in Boyd, Higgins and Jamar plus Mixon is a beast. I've heard ozumah (sp?) Will be back as well.

If Taylor can make appropriate plans to mitigate the pass rush with what I mentioned above, I really do think cinci has a good shot. They're both 4 seeds after all.

9 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Okay somebody educate me on the Bengals defense. I know Hendrickson and Bates are good.

I know that Apple was a bum prior to this stint with the Bengals, but appears to be playing well right now.

I think Von Bell is solid.

But their defense rates middle of the pack and I watched quite a few of their games living here in Ohio and having Higgins and Mixon on my fantasy team - their defense when I watched ranged from really bad to really good and everywhere in between. Seem to have found their groove in the playoffs.

Who are their other guys? How good are the LBs?

I’ll try to summarize as best I can. 

Overall, not a lot of star power, but a very well coached and deep group with no glaring weakness of a player/unit to be exposed. Excellent tackling unit on all three levels (all three corners especially tackle very well). Personnel wise, Awuzie, Wilson, Bates, Hendrickson, and Reader have all been standouts and amongst the leagues best this year. The rest of the guys (Hubbard, Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, Pratt, Apple, Bell) are all contributors, and I don’t really have complaints about any of them. They just provide solid snaps. We are greater than the sum of our parts. 

Furthermore, they just see to be incredibly clutch and make plays at the right time. Anytime we need them to make a stop or generate a turnover when it really matters, no matter how ugly the game has gone so far, they step up and deliver. It’s almost something to be relied on at this point.

Anarumo has surprisingly done a great job considering pass rush is still a major issue. Hendrickson is our only reliable source of consistent pressure, yet we’ve still somehow managed to shut down some great offenses. That’s almost unheard of, and probably why we’ve had some inconsistent showings at times. If you can’t generate pressure it doesn’t matter what the rest of the defense looks like. 

Despite our middle of the pack ranking this year we have potential to be a top 10 unit next year, and have played to that level at times this year. We are just missing that one consistent pass rusher to complement Hendrickson to push our defense to the next level. 

• Like 3

In thinking about this - I want the Bengals to win (I sorta hitched my wagon to them when the playoffs started) but if the Rams won it all, I'd actually be satisfied - I like Stafford, him getting a ring would be a nice little start of his new career in Los Angeles.

If I get a good football game with good hits, no injuries, not too much ref controversy, big plays on both sides of the ball? I'll be good, I won't really care who wins. I also like both fanbases here - so I'll be here to celebrate with the winners and sulk with the losers.

I think it's going to be a satisfying ending to what was a disappointing season for me...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Belly coaching tree is bad though...

Yea I know. It's funny because when talking about McVay's coaching tree earlier this year, people got snarky and said it was a branch or something like that. So just funny that someone who became a HC after working under McVay has made the Super Bowl, but it's never happened under the greatest coach of all time.

18 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Yea I know. It's funny because when talking about McVay's coaching tree earlier this year, people got snarky and said it was a branch or something like that. So just funny that someone who became a HC after working under McVay has made the Super Bowl, but it's never happened under the greatest coach of all time.

It was snarky for a while because of things like Kliff Kingsbury being hired as HC because he interviewed with McVay for a consultant job with the Rams. It was almost a meme about how you had a good chance to be an NFL HC if you had coffee with McVay.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Xenos said:
56 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

It was snarky for a while because of things like Kliff Kingsbury being hired as HC because he interviewed with McVay for a consultant job with the Rams. It was almost a meme about how you had a good chance to be an NFL HC if you had coffee with McVay.

I was more or less joking - heck, I once said Blake Bortles is going to be the next hot HC because he was a backup QB for McVay. (If Josh McCown and McVay crossed paths at some point, I might actually like that eventual disaster...)

Truth be told... Kevin O'Connell was my #1 option at HC for the Texans BECAUSE he was from the McVay tree. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Rams fans - how has McVay evolved as a coach since his last SB appearance? How have his schemes changed and what are the main ways in which you feel he's improved or even regressed? 

Less smoke and mirrors. Runs the ball much more. Isn’t as animated as he use to be. He’s adjusted better as time has gone by.. Gets guys open all the time. Doesn’t force the issue if the Oline is getting destroyed! Doesn’t rely on 11 personal as he did before.. He leaned a lot from that loss…. and this is why above our talent we should win! It was such a humbling experience for him…. He’s much better now but I feel like it’s more methodical now, before it was the deep ball…. Now it’s death by a thousand cuts…. Main issue? You could take all said and turn it to the opposite end on a bad day. 😂 

• Like 1