Stafford versus Rivers

Towerbridge

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Here are QBs than won the SB but are not in the HOF: Dilfer, Hostelter, Simms, Williams, Plunkett, Johnson, Rypien, McMahon and Theisman.  Stafford is better than some of these guys.  

Stafford is quite literally better than every single one of these guys except maybe Theismann.

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

Ok?

Did Stafford revolutionize the game?

Has he gone threw years of being considered among the league's best?

I don't know, did Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, or Terry Bradshaw ever truly stand out as the elite of the elite?

Are Troy Aikman and Terry Bradshaw just so unbelievably amazing to win multiple super bowls, or was it having a ridiculously dominant O-Line and running game (in Aikman's case) or was it having the greatest defense of all time (in Bradshaw's case)?

Stafford is similar to Warren Moon. Great stats, great talent, never the undisputed best of the best, never won because they played on some sorry teams. Warren Moon is in the HOF. Is Stafford not close?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

You don't get in the Hall of Fame by putting up pretty numbers with Calvin Johnson and mostly losing.

Stafford had his worst seasons in Calvin Johnson's best years. He got better after Johnson left because he wasn't forcing the ball to him any more. It's no coincidence that Stafford is 0-3 in the postseason with Detroit, while he is 3-0 in LA. It's almost like the 52 other guys on the team have a say on whether the team wins or loses!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I don't know, did Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, or Terry Bradshaw ever truly stand out as the elite of the elite?

Are Troy Aikman and Terry Bradshaw just so unbelievably amazing to win multiple super bowls, or was it having a ridiculously dominant O-Line and running game (in Aikman's case) or was it having the greatest defense of all time (in Bradshaw's case)?

Stafford is similar to Warren Moon. Great stats, great talent, never the undisputed best of the best, never won because they played on some sorry teams. Warren Moon is in the HOF. Is Stafford not close?

I think Stafford gets hurt more by the quality of his peers rather than his individual talent.

And I mean that both by the peers on his team (bad teams most his career) and the peers he competed against (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc).

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Warren Moon is primarily in the Hall of Fame because he had a story to tell. He, along with Randall Cunningham, were the first successful black starting QBs.

If you're the starting quarterback for a dynasty, you're going into the Hall. It's just how things work. Bradshaw and Aikman are really underrated in their roles too. Bradshaw had one of the most powerful arms in NFL history and his best games came in the Super Bowl. Aikman had the accuracy of a sniper.

Edited by biggie.

41 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Stafford had his worst seasons in Calvin Johnson's best years. He got better after Johnson left because he wasn't forcing the ball to him any more. It's no coincidence that Stafford is 0-3 in the postseason with Detroit, while he is 3-0 in LA. It's almost like the 52 other guys on the team have a say on whether the team wins or loses!

So Bradshaw and Aikman get knocked against for being on "stacked" teams but Stafford gets a pass for being on one???

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

The thing is, playing well in a crap situation doesn’t equal the HOF.

If you’re going to dock him for a bad environment in Detroit, I don’t see how you heap praise on him for what’s going on in LA. What is Jared Goff’s playoff record? 

Rivers was considerably better than Stafford.  Rivers had 5 seasons with 100 plus passer rating. Only 5 guys have had more. He has had 12 seasons with 4000k and 6 with 30 plus tds.

The guys who picked Stafford here today.... I have lost a little bit of respect for them today and will look at them a little differently moving forward.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

So Bradshaw and Aikman get knocked against for being on "stacked" teams but Stafford gets a pass for being on one???

I wasn't trying to knock Bradshaw and Aikman, nor give Stafford a pass. I was just pointing out how much a supporting cast can lend itself to propping up a QB. Aikman and Bradshaw were damn good. But they had a lot more success than they would have if they had gone to an average team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I wasn't trying to knock Bradshaw and Aikman, nor give Stafford a pass. I was just pointing out how much a supporting cast can lend itself to propping up a QB. Aikman and Bradshaw were damn good. But they had a lot more success than they would have if they had gone to an average team.

Ok...? How does this make Stafford a Hall of Famer?

Edited by biggie.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

The thing is, playing well in a crap situation doesn’t equal the HOF.

If you’re going to dock him for a bad environment in Detroit, I don’t see how you heap praise on him for what’s going on in LA. What is Jared Goff’s playoff record? 

I'm not trying to heap praise on him for his success in LA. I'm saying that the QB doesn't have more to do with winning football games than other 52 guys on the team do combined. Stafford isn't a loser because he couldn't win in Detroit, and he's not a god because he can win in LA. He's Matthew Stafford. He is a very good QB. His inability to win on one of the worst franchises in recent history should not be held against him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Ok...? How does this make Stafford a Hall of Famer?

He's not yet. However, if he continues to perform like he did this season over the next few, and has some clutch moments (like he already had against Tampa this postseason, Super Bowl pending) I think he should make it. If he retired tomorrow I wouldn't be beating down the doors to get him in, but with the way his career is heading he can put himself in position for it.

• Like 1

If Stafford wins a Super Bowl, along with another 4-5 years of high end play then he will be in the HOF. If he wins two Super Bowls then it's a no brainer. 

I would guess that Stafford finishes top 5 all-time in passing yards, replacing Big Ben. 6th all-time in passing touchdowns. First all-time in 4th quarter comebacks. The speed of which he's left Detroit and got to a Super Bowl does help his narrative a lot. However, he absolutely needs one to be considered and that's what it comes down to for him. 

• Like 1