Stafford versus Rivers

Towerbridge

On 2/11/2022 at 1:21 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Stafford was in the OPotY and MVP discussion this season. 

He also has more SB appearances than either combined, at this point. 

Fouts 4 All Pros. Stafford 0.

Fours 6 Pro Bowls. Stafford 1. 

Fouts 4x league leader in yards. Stafford 0

Fouts 2x league leader in TD’s. Stafford 0

Fouts 1982 OPOY. Stafford never got close 

1980’s All Decade Team. Stafford will never be on. 

Fouts was basically the MVP the strike year where the voters protested and gave it to a kicker. He won the PWFA version. Stafford was never that close to an MVP

Fouts made a poverty team relevant when he played. Stafford came on the most stacked team in the league that two years prior Goff went to a SB with and got it done. That’s the one thing Stafford has over Fouts. 

Fouts is one of the best players ever. Stafford ain’t in the same tier as him

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Fouts 4 All Pros. Stafford 0.

Fours 6 Pro Bowls. Stafford 1. 

Fouts 4x league leader in yards. Stafford 0

Fouts 2x league leader in TD’s. Stafford 0

Fouts 1982 OPOY. Stafford never got close 

1980’s All Decade Team. Stafford will never be on. 

Fouts was basically the MVP the strike year where the voters protested and gave it to a kicker. He won the PWFA version. Stafford was never that close to an MVP

Fouts made a poverty team relevant when he played. Stafford came on the most stacked team in the league that two years prior Goff went to a SB with and got it done. That’s the one thing Stafford has over Fouts. 

Fouts is one of the best players ever. Stafford ain’t in the same tier as him

Fouts couldnt even make it to the Superbowl with his stacked team lol. The 1979 loss to the oilers is one of the biggest playoff chokes ever. 

Dan Fouts was a terrible playoff performer despite playing on loaded offenses in a revolutionary offense right after the league tweaked the rules to let passing games Dominate 

Edited by CP3MVP

1 minute ago, CP3MVP said:

Fouts couldnt even make it to the Superbowl with his stacked team lol. The 1979 loss to the oilers is one of the biggest playoff chokes ever. 

Fouts team was not as good as Stafford’s this year and let’s be real he was going to need to get past the Steel Curtain to win anything and that wasn’t happening. Oh and Steelers and Cowboys were super teams back then. Fouts wasn’t close to having the most talented team in the league. 

Point blank. Anybody who thinks Stafford is better than Fouts did not watch that era. 

20 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Fouts team was not as good as Stafford’s this year and let’s be real he was going to need to get past the Steel Curtain to win anything and that wasn’t happening. Oh and Steelers and Cowboys were super teams back then. Fouts wasn’t close to having the most talented team in the league. 

Point blank. Anybody who thinks Stafford is better than Fouts did not watch that era. 

How are they not as good? The 79 chargers had 7 all pros next to fouts including 2 of the ten best WRs in football. Their QB just gagged it in the playoff. 

I like how you aren’t even debating Fouts sucked in the playoffs. 

38 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

How are they not as good? The 79 chargers had 7 all pros next to fouts including 2 of the ten best WRs in football. Their QB just gagged it in the playoff. 

I like how you aren’t even debating Fouts sucked in the playoffs. 

Fouts was top 4 in his era. Where do you rank Stafford in his. Fouts has a dozen accolades Stafford doesn’t have, Stafford has one that Fouts doesn’t. 

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

In which case Fouts had Montana (his eras Brady equivalent), Marino (his era’s Manning equivalent), Elway, and then you can fill out that era with Moons, Simms, Boomer, and Theisman he also played when Staubach was still around. 
Put it this way, in Fouts era, Montana, Marino, and Elway who are all top 10 guys would be ranked ahead of him and then he was the 4th best. 

Stafford was not top 5 in his era by a long shot. Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Wilson and then Rivers had just as many years superior to Stafford. Same with Romo. Honestly even Cam when he debuted every other year had a better season than Stafford for awhile. 

Fouts was a better player

Oh yeah I agree completely. Fouts was a top 5 QB for his prime and Stafford is closer to 10-15. 

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Dan Fouts was a terrible playoff performer despite playing on loaded offenses in a revolutionary offense right after the league tweaked the rules to let passing games Dominate 

"Dominate" is quite the descriptor. 

I'd say the post-78 rules changes brought the passing game efficiency back to what is was in the mid-to-late 1960s, before the era of crushing defenses emerged in the 1970s. 

But I'd hardly say the passing game in the 1980s (or 1960s) was dominant. TD/INT was about 1/1.

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

I couldn’t disagree more. Fouts had far superior talent than Stafford ever had until this year. Stafford never had a competitive team in Detroit. Now, a good team and he has a SB. Stafford has more yards, more TD’s, better completion %  and far, far more come from behind victories. 

So, ya, I think Stafford is a better QB and I did watch that era. 

Edited by diehardlionfan

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Fouts was top 4 in his era. Where do you rank Stafford in his. Fouts has a dozen accolades Stafford doesn’t have, Stafford has one that Fouts doesn’t. 

Fouts wouldn’t be top 4 in staffords era lol. Staffords career was in a golden age.  Fouts was “top 4” from 79-83 which wasn’t that impressive. Who were the top 10 QBs of 1979?

By the time Marino and Montana reached their primes Fouts was basically irrelevant. He never really competed with those guys, same with Elway. His dominance was during a transitional period at the QB position. 

Edited by CP3MVP

I genuinely don't understand how this is a discussion. There was literally never a point in their respective careers that Stafford was seen as a better QB than Rivers. It makes absolutely no sense to argue that Stafford's career cumulatively is better, because he's now had one great season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I genuinely don't understand how this is a discussion. There was literally never a point in their respective careers that Stafford was seen as a better QB than Rivers. It makes absolutely no sense to argue that Stafford's career cumulatively is better, because he's now had one great season.

This board is very reactionary when it comes to football takes. 

Stafford has 1 Pro Bowl and never led the league in a single stat but somehow he is better then HOF’ers who were elite in their era. 

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I couldn’t disagree more. Fouts had far superior talent than Stafford ever had until this year. Stafford never had a competitive team in Detroit. Now, a good team and he has a SB. Stafford has more yards, more TD’s, better completion %  and far, far more come from behind victories. 

So, ya, I think Stafford is a better QB and I did watch that era. 

Fouts on average had better talent. Stafford this year blows every Fouts team out of the water 

Stafford is also not better. From 79-83 (a 5 year period) Fouts had an argument for being the best in the league at that time. Stafford hardly has an argument for a single year being top 5. Seriously this year you could easily without thinking put Rodgers, Brady, Allen and Mahomes over him. So the debate is whether he cracks that last spot. 

Edited by lancerman

Just now, minutemancl said:

Rivers does not stand a chance because he doesn't have a ring.

Stafford now has a slight chance because he has a ring. Two would guarantee him a spot IMO.

This. For him to actually get in, he needs either a second ring so he can make the Eli case (also Eli having more Pro Bowls and winning SB MVP both times still makes his argument better) or he needs to start racking up All Pros while he’s on a good team. So basically out producing Rodgers or Mahomes the next few years 

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The team you're on is huge. Monumentally huge.

When Rivers took over, he took over a team with a ton of talent who had just been to the playoffs with a good coach.

Stafford was drafted by the Lions. 

Ironically, when some of us pointed out how much better a supporting cast he has in LA, people said "Megatron". But it's not just about the WR - it's about the culture, the coaches, the GM, the training staff AND the 52 other guys.

Stafford has 4 playoff wins now. Rivers had five his entire career. Stafford has more game winning playoff drives than Aaron Rodgers.

He has a ring.

All of that validates the come back wins in Detroit.

I'm not sure how he and Rivers is even a conversation now.

Also, right now he's seen as better than Rivers. He led a game winning super bowl drive.

Edited by FrantikRam