Stafford versus Rivers

Towerbridge

45 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Why are people saying Stafford is 33 like that's young? He's got maybe 3 more high quality years in him tops. If he gets a ring this year he will probably get in the HoF regardless of how the rest of his career pans out.

Because the rules protect QB’s in a way other generations never experienced.  And unlike other QB’s with average arm talent (or injuries that took it away), Stafford has elite arm talent.  Those are the guys who age gracefully into their late 30’s.  

Now his back injury history and the fire to keep playing (esp if they win a ring this year) - maybe those limit his career path.   But the arm talent she’s so well IMO it’s more about his desire to keep playing and if the back doesn’t get worse. 

11 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm not sure what case there is for Stafford being better than Rivers unless you're doing some heavy adjusting for supporting cast while simultaneously downplaying Megatron

I think it's safe to downplay Megatron.

Stafford his entire career in Detroit: no playoff wins

First year away: 3-0

Good as Kupp is, he's not Megatron. But the supporting cast is about a lot more than just a WR obviously. Rivers had it much better than Stafford for his career. Stafford's first year with a competent franchise, Super Bowl appearance 

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

Good as Kupp is, he's not Megatron. But the supporting cast is about a lot more than just a WR obviously. Rivers had it much better than Stafford for his career. Stafford's first year with a competent franchise, Super Bowl appearance 

The obvious retort would be that the franchise also got here with Jared Goff recently, but I don't wanna get stuck bashing Stafford, especially not to defend Rivers who tortured us for years lol.

I like Stafford and am cheering for him to get a chip. I just don't remember a time Stafford was ever considered the kind of threat Rivers was in his prime, despite Stafford always being a good QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

The obvious retort would be that the franchise also got here with Jared Goff recently, but I don't wanna get stuck bashing Stafford, especially not to defend Rivers who tortured us for years lol.

I like Stafford and am cheering for him to get a chip. I just don't remember a time Stafford was ever considered the kind of threat Rivers was in his prime, despite Stafford always being a good QB. 

I'd say right now he's a bigger threat than Rivers ever was.

With Goff, we had prime Gurley. He and CJ torched Dallas while Goff was pedestrian.

Depending on who you ask, we shouldnt have won the NFCCG against the Saints.

Tonight we earned this one and did so with Stafford's arm.

9 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

But you can’t use supporting cast against Rivers (in the Rivers vs Stafford debate) while not doing the same right now against Stafford. 

Stafford was always a talented QB stuck in a bum city, obviously. But right now Stafford’s playing on a better, more complete team with a better coach than Rivers ever has. 

Please do not short the Rams, as you’ve already started to do, in order to boost Stafford. 

Have neither as HOFers, either.

2 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'd say right now he's a bigger threat than Rivers ever was.

With Goff, we had prime Gurley. He and CJ torched Dallas while Goff was pedestrian.

Depending on who you ask, we shouldnt have won the NFCCG against the Saints.

Tonight we earned this one and did so with Stafford's arm.

Actually I just looked up his stats and I'll admit I forgot about 2011 bc he was overshadowed by Brady and Rodgers and Brees.

Maybe it's closer than I am giving it credit for.

• Like 1

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

But you can’t use supporting cast against Rivers (in the Rivers vs Stafford debate) while not doing the same right now against Stafford. 

Stafford was always a talented QB stuck in a bum city, obviously. But right now Stafford’s playing on a better, more complete team with a better coach than Rivers ever has. 

Please do not short the Rams, as you’ve already started to do, in order to boost Stafford. 

Have neither as HOFers, either.

Oh not at all - I even said a supporting cast is about more than a WR. Stafford has it for sure.

But let's not act like Rivers wasn't on a loaded 14-2 team here.

And ironically, the Rams with Stafford beat Brady while the Chargers with Rivers lost to him.

8 minutes ago, Soggust said:

This. Goff got here. Also the team is stupid stacked independent of Stafford. You flip QB's today and Jimmy is probably in the SB with this squad. There's maybe 10 QB's minimum that could get to the SB with this team. Stafford isn't the difference maker. He just went from one extreme to the other. And if we are being honest, he couldn't even get into the All Pro conversation this year despite the talent around him

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

Oh not at all - I even said a supporting cast is about more than a WR. Stafford has it for sure.

And ironically, the Rams with Stafford beat Brady while the Chargers with Rivers lost to him.

By the logic you’re using, Goff>Rivers because he took the Rams further than Rivers did in his 14-2 season (his first year as a starter under…Marty Schottenheimer). 

Also draw minor differences between the 2021 Buccs and that Pats team coming off of winning 3/4 SBs, but that’s just me.

Rams are a great team. Stafford is a quality QB. That’s all that needs to be said. Using this year to make that case is…meh.

Edited by Yin-Yang

7 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

You mean in his first year as a starter, and never had anything close to that again?

You mean the game where both Brady and Rivers played like dog ****, but the Patriots won because Marlon McCree is a complete tool?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

By the logic you’re using, Goff>Rivers because he took the Rams further than Rivers did in his 14-2 season (his first year as a starter under…Marty Schottenheimer). 

Also draw minor differences between the 2021 Buccs and that Pats team coming off of winning 3/4 SBs, but that’s just me.

Rams are a great team. Stafford is a quality QB. That’s all that needs to be said. Using this year to make that case is…meh.

That's fair overall.

But my biggest problem with that is the number of people who doubted Stafford (and the Rams). Not sure where you fell in that, but it's weak to say "Stafford ain't it" and now say "well the Rams are so good", especially when Stafford was the main reason we beat the last two defending NFC champs.

7 hours ago, Soggust said:

I'm not sure what case there is for Stafford being better than Rivers unless you're doing some heavy adjusting for supporting cast while simultaneously downplaying Megatron

Rivers' peak wasn't super impressive. He was consistent I guess sure.

9 hours ago, biggie. said:

Neither are Hall of Fame material.

Here are QBs than won the SB but are not in the HOF: Dilfer, Hostelter, Simms, Williams, Plunkett, Johnson, Rypien, McMahon and Theisman.  Stafford is better than some of these guys.