Stafford versus Rivers

Towerbridge

9 hours ago, StatKing said:

Why are people saying Stafford is 33 like that's young? He's got maybe 3 more high quality years in him tops. If he gets a ring this year he will probably get in the HoF regardless of how the rest of his career pans out.

Brady playing till 44 changed the perception of how long a QB can play, if their body holds up.

8 hours ago, Soggust said:

I like Stafford and am cheering for him to get a chip. I just don't remember a time Stafford was ever considered the kind of threat Rivers was in his prime, despite Stafford always being a good QB. 

As a Packer fan, I always viewed Stafford in the way Bum Phillips viewed Archie Manning - "a franchise QB without a franchise." 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Here are QBs than won the SB but are not in the HOF: Dilfer, Hostelter, Simms, Williams, Plunkett, Johnson, Rypien, McMahon and Theisman.  Stafford is better than some of these guys.  

Interesting bunch. Simms is a bubble guy, Theisman is not quite on the bubble for me. Williams was a solid QB, also has a bit of the Jackie Robinson factor (first highly drafted black QB, first black QB to win a SB), Plunkett is a 2 time SB winner (!) who had a wild career. Rypien was an MVP triggerman for one of the all-time great one season teams but that was a total lightning in a bottle season. 

Right now Rivers is a bubble guy for me - I'd lean towards inclusion but I get why some would leave him out. Stafford with another 3 or 4 yrs is going to eclipse Rivers' career #s and should be close to him in career wins...also Rivers was only 5-7 in the playoffs and Stafford as of today is 3-3 career. Stafford looks like he's going to surpass Rivers in most notable career statistics, so if Rivers is on the bubble, Stafford is putting himself into that conversation...to say nothing of the NFC QB situation depleting right now....Brady appears to be gone, Rodgers is out in a year or two; that leaves him competing with a possibly washed Wilson,an inconsistent Murray, Prescott, and Cousins for "best QB in the conference."*

* obviously some of the young talent, like Lance, Fields, Hurts, Love may end up being very good but right now they aren't  

35 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Here are QBs than won the SB but are not in the HOF: Dilfer, Hostelter, Simms, Williams, Plunkett, Johnson, Rypien, McMahon and Theisman.  Stafford is better than some of these guys.  

Ok?

Did Stafford revolutionize the game?

Has he gone threw years of being considered among the league's best?

8 hours ago, Soggust said:

Actually I just looked up his stats and I'll admit I forgot about 2011 bc he was overshadowed by Brady and Rodgers and Brees.

Maybe it's closer than I am giving it credit for.

His 11-13 - 15k passing yds 90 tds - is pretty eye-popping regardless of supporting cast. And while that supporting cast included Megatron, I'll wait while you find the other players who were anywhere near Pro Bowl level (tbf, 2013 Reggie Bush is pretty darn good). 

22 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Ok?

Did Stafford revolutionize the game?

Has he gone threw years of being considered among the league's best?

He went spent 11 years of putting up crazy numbers with a losing franchise.  He is exhibit A showing good QBs can't do it all by themselves.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

His 11-13 - 15k passing yds 90 tds - is pretty eye-popping regardless of supporting cast. And while that supporting cast included Megatron, I'll wait while you find the other players who were anywhere near Pro Bowl level (tbf, 2013 Reggie Bush is pretty darn good). 

Yeah, no doubt.

The question isn't whether Stafford is good or not (he obv always has been), the question is - does the difference in surrounding talent make up for the difference statistically over the course of their careers? Also, keep in mind that Rivers' stats already include his decline (conversely Stafford probably still has like 3 years of upper tier play).

Player Comparison: Matthew Stafford vs. Philip Rivers | Stathead.com

I don't know that I give supporting cast that much weight, personally. 

Edited by Soggust

Just now, Pugger said:

He went spent 11 years of putting up crazy numbers with a losing franchise.  He is exhibit A showing good QBs can't do it all by themselves.  

No, he didn't. Stafford had just as many mediocre seasons as he did good ones in Detroit.

What happened to the narrative that Stafford only put up numbers in Detroit because he was a high volume passer?  Some of you all have selective memories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

Brady playing till 44 changed the perception of how long a QB can play, if their body holds up.

I get that, but Stafford isnt an all time great like Brady. These guys playing extremely well into their late 30s have been elite QBs pretty much their entire career. Stafford is nowhere close to the Brady/Rodgers/Brees tier of QB. Staffords warrior style of play doesn't help either, guy takes some huge shots.

Edited by StatKing

20 minutes ago, Pugger said:

You don't get in the Hall of Fame by putting up pretty numbers with Calvin Johnson and mostly losing.

Edited by biggie.

17 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Agree to disagree. I've always considered Stafford a good QB, not a great one. It's not like the NFC North was a murderers row ala this years AFC North or NFC West. 2015-2017 the division was as weak as any other in the league and he still couldn't get one division crown. Rodgers basically carried that 2016 team on his back and won the division at Detroit in the final game of the season. Stafford had plenty of chances he just couldn't deliver.

20 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Agree to disagree. I've always considered Stafford a good QB, not a great one. It's not like the NFC North was a murderers row ala this years AFC North or NFC West. 2015-2017 the division was as weak as any other in the league and he still couldn't get one division crown. Rodgers basically carried that 2016 team on his back and won the division at Detroit in the final game of the season. Stafford had plenty of chances he just couldn't deliver.

This is pretty much the truth.  Stafford is not the same player now that he was for a majority of his time in Detroit.  Growth was slow and then he finally seemed to take a massive step in 2019.