49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Weird wording two other teams are interested even tho they can't "talk yet". Lol, anyway what are the chances 49ers are ok with Sudfeld as the #2? 

Since Sudfeld ended the season on the practice squad, he immediately became a free agent. His camp was allowed to talk and sign a futures contract with any team. Similar to how we signed Keaton Sutherland early, despite him ending the year on Cincinnati's PS.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Technically he doesn't have to wait till FA, since he ended the season on the teams practice squad, he's considered a street free agent, free to sign anywhere.

Didn't even click in my head he was on the PS. Thank you lol. Good correction. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, that's a weird deal for a qb3, but going to lie. 

But a team that has been crushed by QB injuries can't seriously go into the season with sudfeld as the main backup. Especially with the guys available

I am perfectly fine with Sudfield as QB2 next year. 

I do not want to spend very much money on a backup QB to carry three on the roster. Sudfield is perfectly fine in that role. 

QB3 should be a rookie of some sort. we have a lot of late round picks. I am sure we are a moderately desirable place for UDFAs to land. 

49ers’ RB Raheem Mostert, who suffered a knee cartilage injury last season, underwent tests this week in Dallas with Dr. Dan Cooper, who said the free-agent-to-be RB is making a full recovery and will be ready to play this season, per his agent Brett Tessler.
“Dr. Cooper said that in six years of doing this procedure on NFL players, this is the best recovery he's seen and there's no reason to believe Raheem won't be fully healthy and ready to go,” Tessler said.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I am perfectly fine with Sudfield as QB2 next year. 

I do not want to spend very much money on a backup QB to carry three on the roster. Sudfield is perfectly fine in that role. 

QB3 should be a rookie of some sort. we have a lot of late round picks. I am sure we are a moderately desirable place for UDFAs to land. 

With the contract they gave Sudfeld, I feel pretty confident now that we're not going after guys like Taylor, Brissett, or Mariota. Instead, I think we end up targeting guys like Dobbs, Daniel, Hoyer, Siemian, etc. to compete with Sudfeld for the #2 spot. 

I also think we pick up a UDFA QB as well. Maybe someone like Brock Purdy, Dustin Crum, or E.J. Perry.

When it's all said and done, I really hope we only keep 2 QBs on the 53 and 1 on the PS. We have too much talent elsewhere to let one of them go to keep a 3rd-string QB.

• Like 1

I posted this on another 49ers fan forum, for anyone who wants to go All-In like the Rams did.

Also FYI, this the most cap room the 49ers can free up by doing restructures/extensions/adding void years, and they're already at least $9.895M over the cap.

TE Kittle($8.332M with restructure, adds $2.083M to his 2023-2025 cap numbers, plus $2.083M in 2026 as dead money),
LT Trent($4.904M with restructure, adds $1.226M to his 2023-2026 cap numbers),
RT McGlinchey($7.786M extension, if with void year it leaves $7.876M dead money in 2023 if not an extension), DE Ebukam($3.892M with extension, if with void years it leaves $3.892M in dead money in 2023, $4.865M with pay cut down to minimum, $6.5M if cut),
DT Armstead($10.424M with restructure, adds $2.606M to his 2023-2024 cap number, $5.212M in dead money in 2025),
MLB Warner($1,223,200 with restructure, adds $305,800 to his 2022-2026 cap numbers),
CB Moseley($2.692M with extension, if with void years it leaves $2.692M in dead money in 2023),
FS Ward($6.224M with extension, if restructure it leaves $6.224M in dead money in 2023)

That's a total of $44,477,200 total with restructures or extensions, with Ebukam pay cut it's $45,450,200.

Restructures would have the 49ers losing $19,028,800 in 2023 salary cap room, right now they have 17 players signed for 2023, $91,360,801 under a $225M cap, with just 17 players, add in enough for 51, they're down to $65,860,801, then the restructures, they're down to $46,832,001, and this doesn't include any multi year deals signed this offseason or draft picks for both 2022 and 2023.

Jimmy trade saves the team $24.845M after factoring in the top 51 rule, so the most they'd have, with restructures, is $70,295,800 in cap room, so now you sign players to multi year deals, imagine how much comes off of that, $8M for Deebo for sure, $16M for Bosa, his 5th yr option will be $17.869M.

So, by restructuring so many contracts is the dumbest thing to do, just to hold onto Jimmy, & risk losing FAs, all over a bad offer for Jimmy, just stupid IMO.

Also, they have 3 RFAs, if they sign them to 1yr or multi yr deals, they'll likely get between $1.265M to $1.3M each, leaving the 49ers as I said $9.895M(top 51) over, so when you take that $70M, subtract that $9.895M, you're down to $60.4M, then you have to take into consideration what kind of money it'll take to either retain our own, or replace them, plus the current picks would take up $589,844 in top 51, but overall, they'll cost $7,964,844.

Now when you factor in all 52 players signed, + the 3 RFAs, they'd be $12,715,219 over, which would put the max cap room to $57,580,581 before draft picks($49,615,737 with picks included), or Free Agent signings.

Also, consider the fact that you lose that $19,028,800 in 2023 cap room, so yes, they need to get rid of Jimmy ASAP.

And this is why the 49ers SHOULDN'T go All-In this way, which is mortgaging the future cap, cause if you do, you keep redoing deals year in year out, then we turn into GB & NO, over the cap, in cap hell, plus don't trade premium picks for overpriced players.

Also, 1. you can't move money already paid out to a player, so prorated bonuses stay intact, 2. we can't touch any 2020 or 2021 draft picks contracts, and 3. a good amount of players have the minimum base salary for their tenure.

• Like 5