49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/21/jimmy-garoppolo-on-strange-year-of-2021-i-dont-know-if-id-wish-that-on-anybody/

On Thursday, Adam Schein asked Garoppolo about the 2021 season, with Lance as the highly-touted new guy. While Garoppolo praised Lance for being “down to earth” and “not entitled,” it became obvious that Garoppolo didn’t regard the overall experience in 2021 as a positive one.

“It was a strange year,” Garoppolo said. “I don’t know if I’d wish that on anybody.”

Was it really that bad to make $25 million on a SB caliber team with talented teammates you get along well with?

He could have been unceremoniously dumped and ended up in a horrible situation 

Alex Smith did this twice (2012 with us, 2017 with the Chiefs). Not sure if he ever publicly commented on it, maybe he did and i missed/forgot it

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/21/jimmy-garoppolo-on-strange-year-of-2021-i-dont-know-if-id-wish-that-on-anybody/

Was it really that bad to make $25 million on a SB caliber team with talented teammates you get along well with?

Alex Smith did this twice (2012 with us, 2017 with the Chiefs). Not sure if he ever publicly commented on it, maybe he did and i missed/forgot it

It's not always about the money. Jimmy probably wanted to have a certain amount of belief from the people that initially brought him into the organization. Jimmy comes off as pretty humble, but he's also still human. Obviously he could played better the last couple of years, but he also didn't ask to get injured. I'd like to think someone as seemingly down to Earth as he appears to be, can also look at the other side of the coin and recognize that the staff has certain decisions it has to make based on everything that transpires fair or not. Even Joe wasn't thrilled with Walsh going out and getting someone to essentially take his job after he had won two Super Bowls, but also had second back surgery. And Joe was one of the highest paid quarterbacks at the time. 

And really, those quotes in that tidbit could be really out of context. The "it was a strange year" could be everything else that went off the rails including the 3-5 start to the season with people pounding the table for Jimmy to get benched and Shanahan to get fired. Regardless of all of that, no public stink by Jimmy. And I wouldn't expect him to come off as thrilled about the QB situation anyway if someone was to ask him how he felt about it, just because he's making money in an industry where he doesn't dictate the market of payment anyway. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

14 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I've heard him comment about the chiefs situation, but he has said very few things about Kap, as far as I know. Maybe because one was done in the offseason and was traded instead of benched. He was at the top of his game in 2012 when he got concussed, and never stepped on the field again. I'd understand he'd be bitter about that. But he still talked fondly about Harbaugh after that, so who knows... it's never just one thing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

What’s up Niner fans! Just have a question for you guys because I’m talking to some friends and I’m genuinely curious.. does any one here want Jimmy G to stay or is everyone ready to move on by now? 

Ready to move on from G-man. He's done what he can for us so it is time for him to continue his career elsewhere. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

What’s up Niner fans! Just have a question for you guys because I’m talking to some friends and I’m genuinely curious.. does any one here want Jimmy G to stay or is everyone ready to move on by now? 

The 49ers organization and the fans on this board have already moved on to Trey Lance I believe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I wanted Jimmy gone since the 2020 season. It was clear at that time that he was never going to improve upon his weaknesses. Until that point, I was hoping he would take the next step, but he is who he is at this point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Dont get me wrong, I like what Jimmy has been able to help our team do... I also know his shortcomings.  In no way do I want the team to move on from him because I do not like him, sure there are times that I get frustrated with him but who doesnt with any player on their team.  I want to start lance because he is the future, it has nothing to do with Jimmy, we invested in this teams future with 3 first round draft picks and that investment needs to develop or burn.  I do think that the future looks bright with Lance and if we miss the playoffs this year so be it, but we need to let that dog run.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses! It definitely doesn’t seem like there’s many or any that actually want him to stay, as I figured lol I’m very curious to see what the Lance era will look like. If it doesn’t work with Lance, is it safe to assume Shanahan is probably gone? Not in the first year as a starter obviously but later. 

Edited by MDY10

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses! It definitely doesn’t seem like there’s many or any that actually want him to stay, as I figured lol I’m very curious to see what the Lance era will look like. If it doesn’t work with Lance, is it safe to assume Shanahan is probably gone? Not in the first year as a starter obviously but later. 

This team has gone to the NFCCG in two of the last three years, plus a SB trip. If Lance ends up being a bust, obviously everyone including the FO will be on the hot seat with how much they gave up. But Lance will not bust with Shanny and even if he is just average, we have seen that is enough for this team to be a contender. 

• Like 2