2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Mary Kay has to be reliable at least one time! 

That said...its starting to feel like the Panthers are in on getting a vet for this season (which maybe means bypassing a QB at 6). Two different charlotte observer beat writers have put out articles or spoken about the Panthers adding a vet QB. 

The first was Jonathan Alexander on a podcast: 

Then Ellis Williams wrote an article about the Panthers acquiring Jimmy G and his fit: 

So it really feels like the Panthers may be pushing toward going this route with this kind of talk coming up so abruptly 

If Carolina has 2 options to get a vet QB, the compensation required to acquire one drops.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That's probably more likely.  I think they're in the LT-or-trade down mode right now.

They put themselves in this disastrous position, so hard for me to give them credit for doing the "right thing" now, but it is the right thing to go get Baker or Jimmy and take the best player you can at 6 (or trade down if that is your jam) 

Just now, squire12 said:

If Carolina has 2 options to get a vet QB, the compensation required to acquire one drops.

Most likely. Seattle may drive the price a little on Baker, but obviously the Panthers could just drop out and go to Jimmy. 

That said, I do believe that the trade gets more interesting if the team they are trading with takes back Darnold in the trade. I'm not sure how much of a desired (or necessary) component that would be for the Panthers, but something to keep in mind. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

They put themselves in this disastrous position, so hard for me to give them credit for doing the "right thing" now, but it is the right thing to go get Baker or Jimmy and take the best player you can at 6 (or trade down if that is your jam) 

At this point, I'd operate under the assumption that Ikey and Neal aren't going to be available at 6.  If you don't like the QBs on the board at 6, I think you'd move down and either try and recoup a SRP or a future FRP.  Not sure you get a future FRP, but I think getting an additional SRP from a team like Minnesota or New Orleans would have to generate some interest.  They're just a poorly built team right now, particularly on offense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

That said, I do believe that the trade gets more interesting if the team they are trading with takes back Darnold in the trade. I'm not sure how much of a desired (or necessary) component that would be for the Panthers, but something to keep in mind. 

I'm not sure that Cleveland is interested in having a $19M backup, especially since the Panthers lack draft picks this year.  I think it'd make more sense for San Francisco, and I think they're probably more willing to take on a bad contract for more value back.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Most likely. Seattle may drive the price a little on Baker, but obviously the Panthers could just drop out and go to Jimmy. 

Darnold probably is viewed as a sunk cost.  Unloading him would be ideal for Carolina,  but I doubt there are takers.  A deal with cleverer baker likely has Cleveland eating a fair amount of Baker salary

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure that Cleveland is interested in having a $19M backup, especially since the Panthers lack draft picks this year.  I think it'd make more sense for San Francisco, and I think they're probably more willing to take on a bad contract for more value back.

It's something that we in the forum have kicked around several times. The niners clearly had interest in Darnold last year. The tricky part is sthat I think it has to come with an extension for Darnold, and I don't know where he stands on that. Even if it's ostensibly just 1 year with some tacked on void years, they'd need to be able convert a good chunk of this year's base into signing bonus and stretch it some. So they'd basically have to convince him to take a back up level deal for next season (say something like a deal that is basically 1 year, 5 million, fully guaranteed). Pay him 5 this year, stretch 13 over 4 years and he's 8.25 on the cap this year, 8.25 on the cap next year, and then you have a dead hit of 6.5 in 2024. Not ideal, but if it helps you get maximum value for Jimmy, and we know that the 49ers liked Darnold last year, I could see something like that working if Darnold is willing to acknowledge that he's not going to get a starting gig in 2023

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Darnold probably is viewed as a sunk cost.  Unloading him would be ideal for Carolina,  but I doubt there are takers.  A deal with cleverer baker likely has Cleveland eating a fair amount of Baker salary

Baker is never cleverer, sir. 

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mary Kay has to be reliable at least one time! 

That said...its starting to feel like the Panthers are in on getting a vet for this season (which maybe means bypassing a QB at 6). Two different charlotte observer beat writers have put out articles or spoken about the Panthers adding a vet QB. 

The first was Jonathan Alexander on a podcast: 

Then Ellis Williams wrote an article about the Panthers acquiring Jimmy G and his fit: 

So it really feels like the Panthers may be pushing toward going this route with this kind of talk coming up so abruptly 

Mary k has been the most reliable browns reporter this year. I don’t know who her new source is but she’s been right almost all offseason. 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

It's something that we in the forum have kicked around several times. The niners clearly had interest in Darnold last year. The tricky part is sthat I think it has to come with an extension for Darnold, and I don't know where he stands on that. Even if it's ostensibly just 1 year with some tacked on void years, they'd need to be able convert a good chunk of this year's base into signing bonus and stretch it some. So they'd basically have to convince him to take a back up level deal for next season (say something like a deal that is basically 1 year, 5 million, fully guaranteed). Pay him 5 this year, stretch 13 over 4 years and he's 8.25 on the cap this year, 8.25 on the cap next year, and then you have a dead hit of 6.5 in 2024. Not ideal, but if it helps you get maximum value for Jimmy, and we know that the 49ers liked Darnold last year, I could see something like that working if Darnold is willing to acknowledge that he's not going to get a starting gig in 2023

I figured Darnold probably wasn't the veteran QB you wanted backing up Trey Lance.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I figured Darnold probably wasn't the veteran QB you wanted backing up Trey Lance.

Eh. The backup would currently be Nate Sudfeld. I'd prefer him to do the things they want him to do as a third stringer. Not sure what other real backup options would be out there. 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:41 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Mary k has been the most reliable browns reporter this year. I don’t know who her new source is but she’s been right almost all offseason. 

I doubt garropolo goes Nfc with Pittsburgh looking for a long term solution at qb.

Shanahan does not want to see Garropolo outplaying his qb for the next 5 years on there Turf.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:00 PM, squire12 said:

Darnold probably is viewed as a sunk cost.  Unloading him would be ideal for Carolina,  but I doubt there are takers. 

I can see a team with excess cap space take on Darnold in exchange for a draft pick (buying the pick in exchange for taking on the Darnold contract - a Brock Osweiler special, if you will).

If Carolina really wants to move on, the staple a 2nd round pick to that $18mm contract and see if the Colts bite for a 2023 6th or something. Colts have the space and could use both a holdover QB and premium picks - so that’s an option for em. Houston also makes sense with a good amount of free cap, a desire for picks and a potential QB competition with Davis Mills.

Carolina can get out of the Darnold conundrum, they just have to get creative. What they do from there, however…

44 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I doubt garropolo goes Nfc with Pittsburgh looking for a long term solution at qb.

Shanahan does not want to see Garropolo outplaying his qb for the next 5 years on there Turf.

If Pittsburgh is looking for a long term QB, they aren't looking at Jimmy G. 

The niners have no reason to be scared of him for the next five years. He's not a good QB 

• Like 3