Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

"Research"  What is research looking on twitter for what is said about him?  What makes Pleasant so great as a coach exactly?  Because he was on a Super Bowl contending team that makes him great?  

Go ahead and believe hiring all your buddies from the previous staff you were on is a good idea for a coach that has never in his life been a head coach of anything.  

Go on twitter some more and dig up more research I guess if that is how you find it.  

There’s a bunch of articles on him and what he’s been able to accomplish in a short about of time that are easy to find. He’d be an outstanding hire and his familiarity with O’Connell is only icing on the cake. 

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Nah I’m not going to argue with him. I’ve learned over the years he’s dead set in his views

Who are you honestly because I have no idea.  And your research is articles, great mine would be watching and listening to him speak and coach.  Pleasant is fine Desai is better, and I say again Pleasant did not make Jalen Ramsey good, Jalen Ramsey and his performance basically allowed Pleasant to find another job with the Lions....

Now maybe Desai is nothing special but give me a guy with that education and teaching ability over some Wisconsin Badgers former player that has been blessed enough to coach some great players that have made him look good and move up the ladder.  

P.S.  How did that work with Gary Kubiak, and them just hiring his son and Rick Dennison his former coach on Denver.  That really changed things here that much in terms of creating a consistent winning team overall?  Of course people just hire their offspring and or previous coaches but would be nice to get at least a few new perspectives into the room.  

If they hire Pleasant whatever might be ok, but no need to hire Wade Phillips freaking child as well then hire Wade Phillips himself as some advisor similar to what they did with Kubiak.  The New York Giants hired Brian Daboll as their head coach, they did not just go out and hire some assistant on the Bills to be the freaking defensive coordinator they hired a very accomplished assistant in Don Martindale who has no connection to Brian Daboll but was the best fit especially with a great 3/4 defensive background on a team that already plays a 3/4.

Just now, battle2heaven said:

I’m just a Vikings fan that hopes his team wins a Super Bowl before the world ends. 

Cool, I guess I have not seen you around here but maybe you changed your icon or something.  

Either way not sure hiring Aubrey Pleasant as the DC is going to help anything, especially when the Lions were a worst defense than the Vikings crap defense last year.  Lions were slightly better in passing yards allow per game than the Vikings but not by much and they gave up the 2nd most points of any team in the league per game.   I like the youth movement though which is nice but they sure as hell better bring back Andre Patterson and Keenan McCardell.  

I get the desire to hire people you know and are connected with. I was just really hoping that would stop with a new regime, but it doesn’t really appear that way. I’d lean towards the former Bears DC for the same spot here. At least bring in something new on that side of the ball and hire all your buddies on offense. 

I get the hate on hiring the "buddys" thing, but almost every other franchise has done it forever. I guess the defense to me it doesn't probably matter as much, but KOC has the system he wants to run, he probably needs coaches that understand and know what he needs done.

The defense side is another story, but then again, you are still the "boss" as the HC. If you are just hiring someone you don't know to be basically #2, you probably need to have some good chemistry together, along with a basic understanding on how things are ran.

Also 1 other aspect to look at, maybe the team really does want to look at things in a more analytical way. They better find a staff that will believe in that too. Remember Kwesi was hired as GM, lets not pretend he doesn't have a say in some of the staff. 

• Like 1

Zimmer hired Norv, who he had no direct connection with, outside of knowing the same people.  How did that work out?  It was so bad that one quit in the middle of the season.  Sometimes it's better to hire the people you know you can work with.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RpMc said:

I was speaking just to the "only having one linebacker" comment.

yeah, but in a 3-4 our OLB (among players under contract) are likely Hunter and Wonnum with Robinson be the sub.  Might not be elite (no real data to based effectiveness but the measurables are there).  So we'd on paper our weakness would be the second ILB.  In a 4-3 both LBs outside of Kendricks are potentially troublesome (I like Lynch, but I don't think I can actually say I'd be fine handing his a job uncontested).