Most "misunderstood" players?

biggie.

Bradshaw is a good shout. While he was definitely in one of the best situations ever, boy he could absolutely sling it. I believe I saw that his average TD pass in his Super Bowls was 35 yards? Something insane like that. Great team + QB that can make some bonkers throws when need be = All-Time Dynasty

20 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

David Boston for 2 years. Dude was a beast.

Then he got more worried about being a huge puffed up rockstar than actually being good at football, and decided to rob us on his way out. But prime Boston was absolutely a dawg, like Anquan Boldin on steroids 😉

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I think Vince Young has a much better outcome if he played today instead of 15 years ago

His stats were not special, but he had that clutch/winning gene, and I think people just remember him not having good passing stats and write him off

But he was just a winner.. His win % was higher than guys like Dan Marino, Drew Brees.. and that included 13 game winning drivers in just 50 games, which is pretty impressive

This is fair. It didn't help having the human mediocrity machine Jeff Fisher waste his prime. I believe that they once started 0-6, with Kerry Collins playing horrendously, yet Fisher said their QB play was just fine and no need for a change.

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

This is fair. It didn't help having the human mediocrity machine Jeff Fisher waste his prime. I believe that they once started 0-6, with Kerry Collins playing horrendously, yet Fisher said their QB play was just fine and no need for a change.

I had not thought about it this way but I think Vince Young in an ideal Kordell Stewart type situation could have been much better.

He was never going to be HoF but his limited skillset could have been better utilized.

I'm not saying he was this great QB prospect, but he could have had some years like Hurts this year.

I'd love for Hurts to develop into a touch passer but he's not that now.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:53 PM, Shady Slim said:

this is a post relevant to thread and ronjon's post so can be engaged with

right there in your first sentence you have described Lamar Jackson: i think that kaep had all the tools to in the right system catered to him be an excellent quarterback, and if a quarterback with his exact skillset came through college right now i think a lot of teams would be swarming - i reckon that ronjon's suggestion that guys like him (and also, if we are on this path, RGIII), were just too ahead of their time and teams didn't know how to sustainably succeed with quarterbacks who aren't perfect in the pocket but can extend plays with their legs and be a dual-threat - look at what josh allen is doing now!

There's a laundry list of guys. 

RG3, Jake Locker, Tim Tebow, Reggie McNeal, Dennis Dixon, Matt Jones the list can go on a ways. 

These guys had funky mechanics and couldn't play QUARTERBACK worth a damn at the pro level. But they were absolutely elite athletes, playing in an NFL where elite athletes were rarely played at QB and utilized according to their strengths. If they couldn't become refined passers, they were more or less written off. 

In today's NFL, with how certain guys are used, I think each of those guys have more success than they ultimately did. Some were never even given a chance at QB to begin with. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, biggie. said:

Comrade Kaepernick had million dollar talent, but a ten cent brain.

I would say more like...

Million dollar athleticism

Thousand dollar (QB) talent

Ten cent brain

There are a lot of players with ten cent brains though.

Edited by 43M

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

There's a laundry list of guys. 

RG3, Jake Locker, Tim Tebow, Reggie McNeal, Dennis Dixon, Matt Jones the list can go on a ways. 

These guys had funky mechanics and couldn't play QUARTERBACK worth a damn at the pro level. But they were absolutely elite athletes, playing in an NFL where elite athletes were rarely played at QB and utilized according to their strengths. If they couldn't become refined passers, they were more or less written off. 

In today's NFL, with how certain guys are used, I think each of those guys have more success than they ultimately did. Some were never even given a chance at QB to begin with. 

In the end, you still have to be able to throw the ball to play the QB position at a CONSISTENTLY high level.

There is a difference between "mobile QBs" and "QBs that are mobile".

"Mobile QBs" like the ones you mentioned, are largely one-read QBs who struggle with progressions and consistent ball placement, and lean on their athleticism.    They tend to struggle to adapt once teams figure how how to defend against their limitations as passers...which is why alot of players like that might have initial success, but hit a wall once teams figure them out.   Happened to many QBs, including RG3 and Kaep.

"QBs who are mobile" are great passers who can adapt to changes because their passing game isnt nearly as limited, and they typically only look to run if things really break down or there is a huge opening. 

Guys like Tebow, Dixon, Vince Young, etc....would be just as bad today.   I dont get the Lamar Jackson comparisons.   People on here regularly knock on Lamar Jackson, and he is a far far FAR better pure passer than those guys ever were, so I dont get that.

Im not saying none of those QBs could have more success if used differently....but they still wouldn't be remotely close to starting quality, and most would still be fringe backups.   At best, maybe one or two of them could be another Taysom Hill under the right circumstances....and we will see how effective Hill is without Sean Peytons elite offensive mind.

8 hours ago, 43M said:

I would say more like...

Million dollar athleticism

Thousand dollar (QB) talent

Ten cent brain

There are a lot of players with ten cent brains though.

Its a really complicated deal talking about him. (even just on the field) I personally don't think he is dumb or a bad guy or anything like that . He made the decision to make his life about something else than football while also struggling on the field. As a QB he put up a really impressive dual threat performance for about 38 games, including 2 playoff runs. If you say Kaepernick and Capers people know you are talking about a QB annihilating a DC.

His last 2 1/4 seasons of 4-20 and diminished performance (for multiple reasons) put the 49ers in a position where there was no football reason to continue paying him a big contract. He was not unique in that even if his circumstances were. The huge distractions made it a very easy decision for them.

Nick Foles went from SB MVP with a 4-1 1-1 season-saving follow up the next year to the Bears backup in 11 starts. He had a collarbone injury after 3 throws in Jacksonville and never got a chance again when 100%. The sum total of his drama was Wentz's contract and insecurity, his own injury, his Jax cap hit, and the Bears disfunction. NFL teams do not hold starter QB spots for guys who shined bright a few years ago.

Dilfer was not a great QB but he went 11-1 with a SB in his 12 starts after Banks was 5-3 on the same team. He never got another game as a Raven after that Super Bowl. GMs and owners are fickle and they went with Elvis Grbac.

I think Tebow is misunderstood in the sense that while he wasn't a good quarterback, he was a great PLAYER. His stubborness was his downfall; had he accepted playing a gadget role ala Taysom Hill he would have had a longer career.

Edited by biggie.

Terrell Owens.

yeah he came at Donovan Mcnabb but Donovan Mcnabb was a lazy scrub who couldn’t get through the super bowl without throwing up. 

He played with hall of fame QBs and was a Hall of fame player himself. He knew what greatness and hard work looked like and it was never Donovan Mcnabb. 

The fact that he wasn’t a first ballot hall of famer is a stain on the hall. TO was kept out for his personality and “off the field antics” but a guy like Ben Roethlisberger probably walks into Canton first ballot. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Not sure if he was a lazy scrub, but he was absolutely drunk/hungover in the superbowl. 

That counts as scrub status in my book.

either hung over or too much Campbell’s chunky chicken noodle. Neither is great imo.  

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

That counts as scrub status in my book.

either hung over or too much Campbell’s chunky chicken noodle. Neither is great imo.  

He is pretty famously an alcoholic. So I guess that depends on if you consider alcoholism a disease or a weakness. Obviously I cant tell you how to feel about it, but I personally feel bad he wasted the apex of his career being tied to the bottle. 

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He is pretty famously an alcoholic. So I guess that depends on if you consider alcoholism a disease or a weakness. Obviously I cant tell you how to feel about it, but I personally feel bad he wasted the apex of his career being tied to the bottle. 

Yeah I wouldn't celebrate it and it's definitely a disease, but it also makes me sympathize with TO for being frustrated. TO was obsessive with how he treated his body so if true, for a guy to be boozing the day before the biggest game on earth could understandably push him over the edge. I also didn't know that so maybe my wording is a bit off, but the principle of my post that TO wasn't the villian i stand by.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1