Most "misunderstood" players?

biggie.

Lamar Jackson is 24 and he might be at a crossroads where he needs to pass more. Kaep was going to be 30 when his career sidetracked.

• At 29 his coach was the master of the college RPO who kicked butt with Nick Foles running his offense.
  • His team was not elite. (like 85% of all QBs who ever make the NFL)
  • He had some injuries nagging or in-recovery or both.
  • He made a radical change to his diet (veganism) which may or may not have contributed to his overall health / durability
    • I know Gonzo tried it and had to eventually settle on a 20/80 with lean protein

He had a 6 year run in a 3 year average league.

The end on the field was horrible from a production and results standpoint.

• 8-8
  • 2-6
  • 1-10
  • 183.6 ypg passing in his last 2 seasons

Again, it was no great tragedy that the 4-20 guy did not get another elite team to make him their guy if he got healthy at 30.

The league moves on from 30 year old players who were big at age 26 all the time.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

I always make sure not to comment on anything before my time, regardless of topic. Fortunately I figured that out as a young teenager. I was already a huge horse racing fan and had an opinion that Count Fleet was superior to Citation, among the 1940s legends. It made sense based on numbers, like the 25 length Belmont margin. But when I expressed that opinion to an old timer who saw both, he couldn't stop laughing at me. Incredibly valuable lesson and I never set it aside. Historical accounts and stats never threaten to capture everything, or even the essence. This thread is a classic example. Anyone who downgrades Joe Namath is remarkably ignorant. To say he was not a feared downfield passer is to certify yourself as an absolute buffoon who might as well be housed in a jack o lantern. That's certainly how I'll envision every post from now on. Now I'm the old man. Laughing at backfitting simpletons feels really necessary and good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Actually, he is the exact same player he was in Cleveland--the only difference is when the Browns get in the RZ they run the ball with Chubb/Hunt and the Rams pass the ball in the RZ so he has more TDs.

The best game he has had in 2 years for either team was 5 rec 81 yds and 1 TD and he averaged 3 catches for 39 yards in 9 games for the Rams 🤣

#odellsbackbaby

Now imagine if you contextualise that with him joining a team mid season, being the #2 as opposed to #1 where there we offense is centred around the #1 receiver and him having to learn an entire new offense. Yet anybody who has watched him can fairly conclude he’s played quite a role in Rams success. This is all a big indictment against Cleveland. No question. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Lamar Jackson is 24 and he might be at a crossroads where he needs to pass more. Kaep was going to be 30 when his career sidetracked.

• At 29 his coach was the master of the college RPO who kicked butt with Nick Foles running his offense.
  • He made a radical change to his diet (veganism) which may or may not have contributed to his overall health / durability
    • I know Gonzo tried it and had to eventually settle on a 20/80 with lean protein

• 8-8
  • 2-6
  • 1-10

Again, it was no great tragedy that the 4-20 guy did not get another elite team to make him their guy if he got healthy at 30.

The league moves on from 30 year old players who were big at age 26 all the time.

The Ravens get by with having Jackson substitute QB runs for passes, which works when his rushing efficiency is in the neighborhood of average passing efficiency in the NFL.  It's when the Ravens are in a must-pass situation -- when they get behind in a game or when they have to keep step with teams like Buffalo and KC -- that Jackson's runs are then insufficient and he has to pass at the normal or greater NFL rate.  And of course he's likely to face those teams in the playoffs, which is where he'll have a "crossroads" every year in that regard.

16 hours ago, SkippyX said:

• 8-8
  • 2-6
  • 1-10

You cant seriously think Kaep isnt in the NFL because of his talent?

8 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Now imagine if you contextualise that with him joining a team mid season, being the #2 as opposed to #1 where there we offense is centred around the #1 receiver and him having to learn an entire new offense. Yet anybody who has watched him can fairly conclude he’s played quite a role in Rams success. This is all a big indictment against Cleveland. No question. 

It's very clear the people that have an agenda against him just throw out numbers without actually watching. Cooper Kupp is the Rams offense. OBJ's role is to win when teams are bracketing Kupp in high leverage situations (3rd downs and redzone). He's done a terrific job at that.

I think Vince Young has a much better outcome if he played today instead of 15 years ago

His stats were not special, but he had that clutch/winning gene, and I think people just remember him not having good passing stats and write him off

But he was just a winner.. His win % was higher than guys like Dan Marino, Drew Brees.. and that included 13 game winning drivers in just 50 games, which is pretty impressive

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I think Vince Young has a much better outcome if he played today instead of 15 years ago

His stats were not special, but he had that clutch/winning gene, and I think people just remember him not having good passing stats and write him off

But he was just a winner.. His win % was higher than guys like Dan Marino, Drew Brees.. and that included 13 game winning drivers in just 50 games, which is pretty impressive

Vince and Fisher hated eachother. Vince needed a role model, not an enemy at HC. Young was immature and turned to the bottle. If he goes to an Andy Reid led team, his life is entirely different. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BakeSpeaks said:

You cant seriously think Kaep isnt in the NFL because of his talent?

You can't seriously be paying any attention at all.

We clearly separated the outside stuff about 10 posts back.

I am saying that he was not a great QB at his peak that caused a league wide tragedy when he left.

He was not going to be plugged in to 5 different teams and immediately be a star again.

The reasons are numerous and valid.

The people who believe otherwise mostly do so for all the off the field reasons.

• Like 1

Namath was respected like many NFL QBs were respected.

He had a cannon for an arm like Jeff George and John Elway and Josh Allen.

You don't get Jeff George was feared by default. Namath was clearly better than George. He was no Elway.

He was a mediocrity on stats and record who won a SB as a high performing player on a very good team in a tiny window.

Peyton Manning was feared because he was a high performing talented player who consistently won.

Namath was 1 of those 3 things (talented)

He was one of a small group of QBs on the few AFL teams that ran aggressive passing offenses and had a consistent (when healthy) QB.

He had the perfect timing of being flamboyant, opening his mouth, and being part of a team that backed it up.

You are free to yell get off my lawn all day long about this and still be wrong.

Edited by SkippyX

Namath was 16-16-4 in his first 3 years.

He was 21-7 in '68 and '69 (his peak)

He was 25-40 in the 1970s.

OMG guys, its Namath! Better double wrap your hands so they don't hurt when you catch his interceptions!!!

Namath put up 270+ passing yards vs the Raiders 6 times. He was 0-5-1 in those games.

Was Al Davis scared?

Edited by SkippyX

To be fair, I would love to watch this game. 44-34 Jets over Colts

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197209240clt.htm

Namath had 496 yards and 6 TDs on 15 completions. (33 yards a completion)

Unitas himself had 376 yards passing.

2 Jets pass catchers combined for 401 yards.

John Riggins even had a 67 yard reception.

Wow, its on YouTube!  Just look up Jets Colts 1972  (28 minute Game of the Week video)

Edited by SkippyX