2022 Starting QB?

Ghostnote

2022 Starting QB  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB is likely to be the starter for the 2022 season? Please be kind and explain your selection!

• Jimmy Garappolo (Trade with 49ers 2022 2nd, 4th, 2023 4th)
    • Russell Wilson (Trade with Seahawks - 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd)
    • Deshaun Watson (Trade with Texans - 2022 1st, 2023 3rd, 2022 6th)
    • Matt Corral - Ole Miss QB
    • Carson Strong - Nevada QB
    • Sam Howell - North Carolina QB
    • Malik Willis - Liberty QB
    • Other - Explain

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Ridder is your new Kellen Mond dude lol

I like Ridder. I don’t have the grade on him I had for Mond. But I think Ridder does something non of these QB’s do and that is not only manage the game every snap but he has the ability to make every throw size strength and athleticism to be even better then he has been. That post was more of a joke of the fans being irate after bringing in Jimmy and drafting a guy to calm the noise then just getting ironically lucky lol. Like when the Seahawks drafted Russ after they paid paid Matt Flynn and Seahawks fans were calling for sneaky Pete’s job lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I like Ridder. I don’t have the grade on him I had for Mond. But I think Ridder does something non of these QB’s do and that is not only manage the game every snap but he has the ability to make every throw size strength and athleticism to be even better then he has been. That post was more of a joke of the fans being irate after bringing in Jimmy and drafting a guy to calm the noise then just getting ironically lucky lol. Like when the Seahawks drafted Russ after they paid paid Matt Flynn and Seahawks fans were calling for sneaky Pete’s job lol

After the Senior Bowl, a solid 2nd rounder has now become a 3rd round pick. I cannot get past how bad his accuracy was on short routes and medium routes. 

• Like 2

I voted other. They almost traded for Mariota last year to be our starter but the Raiders were asking for too much.

I think Rivera & the Marty’s will strike out on getting Carr, Rodgers, Watson & Wilson. Because of that they will see that adding Mariota is similar to adding Garapolo but they won’t have to trade for Jimmy G.

So, Mariota is our week 1 starter and i think we sign Mariota to a 3 year $45 million deal that we can get out of it after two years.

In round 1 we draft Devin Lloyd, MLB, Utah.

In round 2 we draft Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati. He’ll be our #3 QB this year. We’ll tender Kyle Allen as a RFA. Then, Heinicke, Allen & Ridder will battle it out for the #2 job. May the best man win.

Ridder will be the #3 QB most likely. Heinicke or Allen will be the #2, but there’s always a chance they beat out Mariota to start.

Edited by turtle28

On 2/9/2022 at 8:52 PM, turtle28 said:

I voted other. They almost traded for Mariota last year to be our starter but the Raiders we’re asking for too much.

I think Rivera & the Marty’s will strike out on getting Rodgers, Watson & Wilson. Because of that they will see that adding Mariota is similar to adding Garapolo but they won’t have to trade for Jimmy G.

So, Mariota is our week 1 starter and because we signed Mariota to a 3 year $45 million deal and we can get out of it after two years.

In round 2 we draft Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati. He’ll be our #3 QB this year. We’ll tender Kyle Allen as a RFA. Then, Heinicke, Allen & Ridder will battle it out for the #2 job. May the best man win.

Interesting take. I am not giving Mariota $15M a year. He needs to prove a lot, and I don't think he is that great of an upgrade over Heinicke. 

Desmond Ridder is likely to drop past Round 3. Ill certainly take Carson Strong if he is there in the 2nd. 

I love Devin Lloyd and he will fill that Sam position very well. Having Davis, Holcomb, and Lloyd (sounds like accident attorney's) would be a solid LB corps. 

As I read this I still have not answered the question, but simply that I could roll with Mariota, Strong, and Heinicke. At this point I don't care about Allen. 

The conundrum really is, do you overspend on Mariota, which is not much of an upgrade over Heinicke, imo, and sacrifice Brandon Scherff, also knowing that you have McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, and Allen all coming up on their contracts? The smartest option is to draft a QB and have a rookie contract, but my personal feeling is, there is not a single first round graded QB in this draft. At least in my evaluations. 

Pickett had a great season, but what does his overall body of work look like? Plus the small hands issue. 

Corral has a lot of inconsistencies, but I feel he is has a high ceiling but his floor is already quite high. He will be drafted early first round but by whom? Again, I think this is too early. 

Strong and Howell are my options if we want a prospect to develop for the 2023 season and beyond. They both are end of the 1st early 2nd round prospects for me. 

This is by far one of the weaker QB classes I have seen and I think most QB classes are always overhyped to mask the weakness of a particular class. 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:52 PM, turtle28 said:

I voted other. They almost traded for Mariota last year to be our starter but the Raiders we’re asking for too much.

I think Rivera & the Marty’s will strike out on getting Rodgers, Watson & Wilson. Because of that they will see that adding Mariota is similar to adding Garapolo but they won’t have to trade for Jimmy G.

So, Mariota is our week 1 starter and because we signed Mariota to a 3 year $45 million deal and we can get out of it after two years.

I can not see Rivera staking his future on this.  

If we were talking Year One?  Absolutely.  But Year 3, with a sub .500 record and a rebrand that just happened………man, this underwhelms completely.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If we were talking Year One?  Absolutely.  But Year 3, with a sub .500 record and a rebrand that just happened………man, this underwhelms completely.  

Agreed. 

I assume Plan A is to find a way to land one of the big fish (Wilson, Rodgers, Watson). I’m concerned that they will consider Jimmy G part of Plan A, which is why I think he’s a very realistic outcome of this offseason. 

If that fails, they just can’t go half-hearted. It has to be a 1st round rookie at that point. No retread bridges and no Day 2 picks. Settling for “quantity” over “quality” is not going to assuage the fanbase. Those routes rarely, if ever, work — and they just don’t have the time to fritter away on half measures. 

I would honestly rather just run it back with Heinicke and Allen than give serious money to Mariota or Trubisky. For $15M/year, we could basically re-sign Scherff. I don’t think the marginally better chance to win 9 games and sneak into the 7th seed is worth that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don’t think Rivera will have a choice. I don’t think we’ll get any of the top QBs available through trade, I don’t think they’ll want to come to DC.

So, when you look at tier 2 you have Bridgewater, Mariota, Tyrod & Trubisky.

Of that group Rivera/Turner & the Marty’s showed interest in Mariota last off-season, they wanted to trade for him but the Raiders asking price was too high for them.

I could totally be wrong and most likely I am but being that Mariota is  FA now, that just seems like the guy they’ll settle on.

Now, if it were me I’d draft a QB round 1 after signing Bridgewater, Mariota, Tyrod & Trubisky. I don’t know if Rivera will want to both sign a FA QB in this range & draft a QB round 1 though. I think Rivera will feel that Mariota will be an answer for now so they’d get a Ridder or Strong as @Ghostnote said to groom for a few years behind Mariota or whoever they sign.

The reason I bring back Kyle Allen as a restricted FA is just for competition sake for the starting job. It probably won’t pan out, but there’s no harm in keeping him around to compete w/ the FA we sign, Heinicke & the rookie we’d draft.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Rivera will have a choice. I don’t think we’ll get any of the top QBs available through trade, I don’t think they’ll want to come to DC.

Of that group Rivera/Turner & the Marty’s showed interest in Mariota last off-season, they wanted to trade for him but the Raiders asking price was too high for them.

I could totally be wrong and most likely I am but being that Mariota is  FA now, that just seems like the guy they’ll settle on.

Now, if it were me I’d draft a QB round 1 after signing Bridgewater, Mariota, Tyrod & Trubisky. I don’t know if Rivera will want to both sign a FA QB in this range & draft a QB round 1 though. I think Rivera will feel that Mariota will be an answer for now so they’d get a Ridder or Strong as @Ghostnote said to groom for a few years behind Mariota or whoever they sign.

The reason I bring back Kyle Allen as a restricted FA is just for competition sake for the starting job. It probably won’t pan out, but there’s no harm in keeping him around to compete w/ the FA we sign, Heinicke & the rookie we’d draft.

They have a choice. The one you’re laying is a choice of getting fired. Last season was the season if they planned on doing the bust career resurrection with Mariota or Trubisky. Also, if Snyder is gone which I suspect he will be, Rivera better fix this fast because the new owner won’t have any ties to him. So my guess is they move up for Pickett. He’s the quickest route to winning with the rookies. They can’t sit around waiting for Willis to develop. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think you might be correct in that we will not have much of a choice.  

I however disagree about your Kyle Allen concept.  

If we get Mariota and we got Heinicke and we draft a rookie there is absolutely zero reason to hold onto allen unless you just want to dilute the reps given to the other qbs.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:47 PM, bigdog44 said:

If those are offers I’m taking Deshaun Watson before I even read down to the kids in the draft. 

That’s what I want, but I don’t think Watson agrees to come here. I think he wants to stay in the south and play in as much warm weather as possible. He very well could end up on Carolina, New Orleans or Miami still. Or, if Murray is traded, Watson could end up in Arizona to reunite w/ Hopkins, that would be exciting for them.

I don’t think they’ll be able to pull off any of the trades either bc the player won’t want to come here over other options - like Stafford last year - or the teams will choose to keep their starting QB. I really don’t think Carr or Wilson are going anywhere. Heck, Carr said he’s retire last year rather than play for anyone else but the Raiders. Maybe he that was just a first gut reaction, but that’s how attached he feels to the team, his teammates and the franchise.

So that leaves Garapolo & two things there:

1. I don’t think he’s a huge upgrade of Heinicke, Mariota, Trubisky, Tyrod Taylor or Jameis Winston. So, I wouldn’t want to trade draft picks unless the guy is major upgrade.

2. I don’t think Dan Snyder & Kyle Smith will want to work together or that Dan will want to give draft picks to Kyle. One reason I think Kirk was never traded to San Fran despite their interest in 2016 & 2017 was because Dan/Brice & the Shanahan issues.

It just was never going to happen, but it never did bc of that icy relationship. It should’ve happened, but was never going to.

Edited by turtle28

Wherever Jimmy G goes, I think it’s going to be absolutely fascinating to see how he does. 

Because pretty much everyone thinks this guy blows. Maybe not that severe, but it feels like general consensus at this point is that he’s average at best and most of their success is despite him. I feel that way and apparently even the Niners themselves feel that way, given what they chose to give up to upgrade. 

But at the same time…

Dude is top 40 all-time in era adjusted passer rating and top 20 all-time in era adjusted ANY/A. That means his production, from an efficiency standpoint, is among the historical elite.

And unlike Minnesota QB #8, who also ranks similarly highly in these efficiency stats, he’s been a winner as well. His regular season record is 33-14 (.702 winning percentage). How many other QBs have won more frequently than him? Eight. Their names? Brady, Manning, Montana, Staubach, Graham, Lamonica, Mahomes, and Jackson. And then Jimmy G. He’s been the full-season starter twice in his career. Both years he’s gone to the playoffs, and he’s gone a combined 5-2, reaching at least the conference championship both years. And despite the fact that he’s started fewer games than both, he’s led more 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives than either Mahomes or Lamar. 

When you combine the statistical efficiency and the high winning percentage, you get a very short list of comparable QBs. And they’re pretty much the legends of the game. The worst guy on the list is probably Danny White, of the 80s Cowboys. 

So it creates this very interesting conundrum where — if you just looked at him on paper — you’d view Jimmy G as pretty comparable to these guys with the superstar profile (Wilson, Watson, even Rodgers to some extent). And yet, literally everyone views him as nothing but a product of his system. So which is it? My eyes tell me product of the system. But if that’s true, he’s probably the single greatest “product of the system” in NFL history. 

• Like 1