Our Coordinators

roi34

Ultimately, yes. The 2016 FA class and the 2016 draft class have stunted this team’s growth. And I was excited about the Smith/Amerson duo (as many of use were) heading into last season. Unfortunately, things didn’t work out. What makes Reggie a quality GM is we’re not stuck with any of the players brought in in 2016; they can all go at no cost. His bigger misstep was the 2016 draft. Considering the depth and strength of the class, it was the worst showing of his tenure.

That’s not to say McKenzie hasn’t also been integral to this team’s success. Carr, Mack, and the construction of the line are all his successes. He’s also done a good job cultivating defensive line depth, but hasn’t found the starting players to elevate the unit.

14 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Starting rookie safety in his 2nd game at corner vs brady and cooks, is the players fault. How? 

It’s having bad players that necessitates moves like this. For the record, Obi was fine playing the cover 3 role apart from this one mental lapse.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

It’s having bad players that necessitates moves like this. For the record, Obi was fine playing the cover 3 role apart from this one mental lapse.

He wasnt fine at all. Not sure how u came to that conclusion. And its not a necessity. Its corners on our practice squad. Its fa corners. We had in opening especially with conley going to ir. No need to not add a corner from some where. Its like reggie and jack dont even talk to eacth other. 

3 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

He wasnt fine at all. Not sure how u came to that conclusion. And its not a necessity. Its corners on our practice squad. Its fa corners. We had in opening especially with conley going to ir. No need to not add a corner from some where. Its like reggie and jack dont even talk to eacth other. 

Watching the game helps. He wasn’t asked to do much besides play deep third and come up to make a tackle which —except for one play — he did.

I, personally, probably wouldn’t have put Obi in that spot but it wasn’t an egregious move.

19 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Watching the game helps. He wasn’t asked to do much besides play deep third and come up to make a tackle which —except for one play — he did.

I, personally, probably wouldn’t have put Obi in that spot but it wasn’t an egregious move.

Thats like saying seam smith has been ok, except that one or two deep balls he gives up a game. He is playing the same scheme. Obi gave up more than one catch. But if you say he was fine what make it different than sean smith. He being asked to do the same thing. 

Side note. Playing cover 3 one safety with reggie nelson as your deep slow slow safety isnt exactly the best game plan either. 

2 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Thats like saying seam smith has been ok, except that one or two deep balls he gives up a game. He is playing the same scheme. Obi gave up more than one catch. But if you say he was fine what make it different than sean smith. He being asked to do the same thing. 

Side note. Playing cover 3 one safety with reggie nelson as your deep slow slow safety isnt exactly the best game plan either. 

All the options we had that pertain to the secondary were bad.

18 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Playing cover 3 is about covering your deep 3rd and coming up to make tackles, which again, Melifonwu did apart from one play. I don’t know what’s complicated about that.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

It's the payers who are dropping the ball. It's the players who aren't fast enough to cover deep. It's the players who can't get pressure. I know it seems like changing staffs would be a quick fix, but there's no fixing bad players. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say the team's struggles are 65%-35% player based.

Good coaching breed success. The team has no identity and lack focus. They continue to play the same basic bland defense, despite it not working. CBs sitting back 10 yards and just content giving up 5-8 yards whenever the opposing team wants it. No pass rush creativity. Your DPOY is getting 3 sometime 4 bodies on him on a play. They can't game plan it for him. 

The drops, the missed assignments, etc. that's 50/50. Coaches do not have this group focused and committed. And the players are playing into that.  

Edit: Case and point.

Seth Roberts - Drops a pass. Gets a costly penalty. Fumbles (flailing the ball around) in scoring position. Is still on the field and getting the majority of the targets. ZERO accountability. That's the coaches basically telling this team you can continually "not do your job" and you'll still play. What tone does that set?

Look at the Pats sideline. If you're not doing your job, they go to the next man up. You fumble, you loose snaps. It's accountability. It's culture. There is no culture with the Raiders. They have talent to win, but no direction or accountability. And the HC will absolve himself at every pass and point fingers.

If a HC can't take accountability for himself, then the culture isn't there, period.  

18 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Playing cover 3 is about covering your deep 3rd and coming up to make tackles, which again, Melifonwu did apart from one play. I don’t know what’s complicated about that.

Is that not what sean smith does for the most part. 

9 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Is that not what sean smith does for the most part. 

When he’s on the field, yes. Difference between he and Obi is Obi is faster and a better tackler. Obviously lack of experience bit Obi on the long TD. Either way, he’s not a corner.

Back on topic: I’d like to see the Raiders pursue Steve Spagnuolo and the team move to a true 4-3. He put Landon Collins in a good spot to succeed and I could see him doing the same with Obi.

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Good coaching breed success. The team has no identity and lack focus. They continue to play the same basic bland defense, despite it not working. CBs sitting back 10 yards and just content giving up 5-8 yards whenever the opposing team wants it. No pass rush creativity. Your DPOY is getting 3 sometime 4 bodies on him on a play. They can't game plan it for him. 

The drops, the missed assignments, etc. that's 50/50. Coaches do not have this group focused and committed. And the players are playing into that.  

Edit: Case and point.

Seth Roberts - Drops a pass. Gets a costly penalty. Fumbles (flailing the ball around) in scoring position. Is still on the field and getting the majority of the targets. ZERO accountability. That's the coaches basically telling this team you can continually "not do your job" and you'll still play. What tone does that set?

Look at the Pats sideline. If you're not doing your job, they go to the next man up. You fumble, you loose snaps. It's accountability. It's culture. There is no culture with the Raiders. They have talent to win, but no direction or accountability. And the HC will absolve himself at every pass and point fingers.

If a HC can't take accountability for himself, then the culture isn't there, period.  

This.

I'm totally surprised that they didn't adjust and put Cooper in the slot, heck I'm surprised that they didn't do that to start the game. They continue to hamstring their best players by not moving them around is appalling, keeping Mack and Coop on the outside, not giving them help schematically is on coaching. Actually it is a coach's job to put players in the best positions to succeed and you don't see that here. Look at the windows that Goff gets to throw into in LA! Does anyone thing that Woods and Co. are some dominate receiving corps? They aren't, they just have a creative HC who gameplans and  moves guys around to get yards.

JDR is so stuck in doing what he thinks is right even though it quite obviously doesn't work. I hate that there isn't any sort of aggression on defense. For almost 50 years raider fans HAD to deal with no aggressive single high safety defense because of Al now they are free to play whatever style defense they want and it's still the same vanilla defense. Sad.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

It's the payers who are dropping the ball. It's the players who aren't fast enough to cover deep. It's the players who can't get pressure. I know it seems like changing staffs would be a quick fix, but there's no fixing bad players. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say the team's struggles are 65%-35% player based.

DJ. Hayden doesn't agree.

The good news on this is that while searching around a bit this A.M., it appears that both Norton and Downing are not contracted beyond this year. They talked about Downing being promoted before this year but nothing about a contractual change or extension involved with that.

So, hopefully, they're both gone and JDR is hamstrung a bit by Davis and/or McK and forced to choose coordinators (and position coaches for that matter) who come from some sort of actual expertise. Rather than just being risk type shots in the dark. Don't expect JDR to be gone, but after a year like this we can all pray both coordinators are gone. I try to keep in mind, and thinks others should too, that this team is not terribly fond of firing coaches and coordinators mid contract while having to continue paying them. We are in fact a cash poor team and it needs to considered that we operate that way. 

Archived