GB free agency 2022

squire12

One of the most important things to do in Free Agency is to not back yourself into a corner in the draft.  If they didn't get Campbell or a credible replacement for Campbell, then you go into the draft thinking "well, we need to get an ILB". 

Like "they absolutely need to add a DB" is why you end up taking Kevin King over TJ Watt, and "everybody knows the Packers like Brandon Aiyuk and could add a WR" is why the 49ers traded up to snipe us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

One of the most important things to do in Free Agency is to not back yourself into a corner in the draft.  If they didn't get Campbell or a credible replacement for Campbell, then you go into the draft thinking "well, we need to get an ILB". 

Like "they absolutely need to add a DB" is why you end up taking Kevin King over TJ Watt, and "everybody knows the Packers like Brandon Aiyuk and could add a WR" is why the 49ers traded up to snipe us.

Are you saying Green Bay didn’t get their guy in 2020? Haha

Just now, Green19 said:

Are you saying Green Bay didn’t get their guy in 2020? Haha

They probably traded up because there were 2 guys left in the tier so they'd be guaranteed to get one of them.  The one they got was the one with the least immediate utility.

Teams pigeonhole "well, we'll get one of these 3 guys who are all graded similarly" all the time in the draft.

But I would not have been surprised if the Packers selected Aiyuk if pick #25 was Jordyn Brooks, or Clyde Edwards-Helaire or Grant Delpit or one of the other guys who went after #26.  Love and AIyuk were probably the last two guys they had first round grades on.

If you are a believer that Rodgers has a pretty big say so on who stays and who goes I would expect Rasul Douglas to be retained.  Rodgers gushed about Rasul and De'Vondre on several occasions.  I remember him calling Rasul 'special'.  I hope we figure out a way to keep him .. a CB triad of Alexander/Rasul/Stokes would be awesome.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

If you are a believer that Rodgers has a pretty big say so on who stays and who goes I would expect Rasul Douglas to be retained.  Rodgers gushed about Rasul and De'Vondre on several occasions.  I remember him calling Rasul 'special'.  I hope we figure out a way to keep him .. a CB triad of Alexander/Rasul/Stokes would be awesome.

Wouldnt it be funny if AR's "keeping" his Poker buddies :)

Just now, Malfatron said:

No thanks on either of them

Context.  I was responding to the fact that I don't think Berrios is starting. Not with Crowder and E. Moore on the jets roster.  Lot of money for special teamer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

We should just go and stay over the cap and take whatever punishment they give us

If they take the punishment… likely fines and draft picks, will they be allowed to field the team on sundays? Or do they automatically forfeit?

like legit question. Because just sign every FA for 1 year deal and just be like 1 billion dollar team.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Green19 said:

If they take the punishment… likely fines and draft picks, will they be allowed to field the team on sundays? Or do they automatically forfeit?

like legit question. Because just sign every FA for 1 year deal and just be like 1 billion dollar team.

My understanding is they void contracts on the team going backwards chronologically until they are under the cap. But I'm sure it's a very complex situation since I have no idea what they'd do with, say, Preston's extension since it actually reduced our cap number.