GB free agency 2022

squire12

So....

If I'm believing reports and what I'm reading, we have managed to retain Preston Smith and Devondre Campbell.  And we "may" be keeping Douglas at corner.

We had to cut Z and Turner.  With probably another player or two to go.

But isn't this kind of a "dream" offseason?  Apparently Rodgers is back, 'Vante got the franchise, retain one of the Smiths, retain Campbell and possibly Campbell?

I'm starting to feel like the salary cap is only real if your accounting guy stinks.  And ours may smell of cheese, but he does not stink!

Just now, British said:

I'm reasonably convinced by this, but then I think, surely if ILB is a low value position in this scheme and anyone could do it, don't the Packers know this?

With the cap super tight, it seems unlikely they would be wasting money at a position they knew wasn't that important? 

Yah, that's the thing that @AlexGreen#20 is saying.  

Nothing against Campbell, but it may be more of a "plug and play" position than it was in the past.

I'm all for the signing, I dig Campbell, but part of me feels like we overspent on a position that a lot of other guys could have played and played well.

I'm good either way.  It is just a very interesting thing to see play out.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, that's the thing that @AlexGreen#20 is saying.  

Nothing against Campbell, but it may be more of a "plug and play" position than it was in the past.

I'm all for the signing, I dig Campbell, but part of me feels like we overspent on a position that a lot of other guys could have played and played well.

I'm good either way.  It is just a very interesting thing to see play out.

I respect AG20 but I also respect the Packers front office and assume they would use the money on something else if they could roll out any old bum at ILB. 

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Me too. I didn't think we'd be able to. I'll be floored if we somehow keep Rasul.

I was originally upset about cutting Turner, but let’s be honest , Jenkins will be the RT when he comes back. Kelly/Yosh will be just fine. 

I really thought we were going to lose so much more.

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I was originally upset about cutting Turner, but let’s be honest , Jenkins will be the RT when he comes back. Kelly/Yosh will be just fine. 

I really thought we were going to lose so much more.

2 hours ago, Striker said:

Per the Huber article:

"According to his agent, Joe Panos, it’s a five-year deal worth $50 million. He will get $16.25 million in Year 1, $21.5 million in Year 2 and $32.25 million by Year 3."

Assuming that I'm reading between the lines correctly, we're probably talking about a signing bonus of $15M and salary of $1.25M.  That salary will bump up to $5.25M in 2023 and $10.75M in 2024.  Given that the Packers have historically put workout bonuses in there, we could see potentially up to 500k in those.  I'd venture a guess there's probably a sizeable roster bonus 2024, but that's just speculation.  The back end of the deal is probably more dummy salary then anything else.

2022: $1,500,000 | $3,000,000 | $4,500,000 | $10,500,000
2023: $5,250,000 | $3,000,000 | $8,250,000 | $3,750,000
2024: $10,750,000 | $3,000,000 | $13,750,000 | $4,750,000
2025: $8,875,000 | $3,000,000 | $11,875,000 | $5,875,000
2026: $8,875,000 | $3,000,000 | $11,875,000 | $8,875,000

Assuming that's the deal (or somewhere close) that's a solid deal all the way around.  At the very least, it's a 2 year, $17.25M deal and he's got a reasonable chance to survive the deal so long as his play doesn't fall off the cliff.