GB free agency 2022

squire12

7 hours ago, Gravedigger93 said:

Happy that Cobb took an intense pay cut to stay with the Packers. Not so happy about the guy that wanted him back forced him to do so. I'd suggest Aaron takes him out to a number of expensive dinners, and with expensive I mean the locations where they have the best ranch dip in town.

Right some facts ...

• Cobb is being paid an enourmous amount of money this year and is very rich so think he will be fine.
  • Rodgers cap hit in 2022 is relatively low. It will be a serious problem in future years but for 2022 it is fine so is not the reason other players are being cut or getting a pay cut and its pretty ignorant to suggest it is
  • Rodgers is back to back MVP, Cobb is a player sigificantly past his best. A back to back MVP will always be at the top of the pay scales and a player approaching bubble status will be near the bottom. Its very strange this makes you unhappy

Appreciate a lot of people are very anti Rodgers but come on make sensible points.  Rodgers cap hit this year is not hurting the team. With the greatest of respect, this is a shocking take. 

14 hours ago, Green19 said:

Will Rodgers have to next season? Remember Cobb undercut Amari’s rookie year.

Adams, Lazard and Cobb are all higher on the pecking order than a rookie. I would pray that Amari would be too… I mean if we have any hopes for his development and so he doesn’t become yet another 3rd round bust.

Tonyan (if healthy) and Jones… would also likely have Rodgers eyes and trust more than a true rookie.

I guess my point is I don’t see the QB helping this process. I’m sure a rookie could put up some numbers over the course of 17 games… I just don’t see a rookie changing this offense. Maybe Burks if he is Deebo Samuel-equse. Maybe Olave if he comes in like a Jefferson or Ceedee. 

I just think it’s a tough spot because Rodgers isn’t a “I throw to the open guy” QB anymore. He is hold until Adams is ready.

So much to unpack up there on your post.

I'm not going to do it.  All I will say is this...if we find the "right" rookie WR, yes, he will get opportunities.  And he should be a larger part of the offense later in the year.

The wildcard isn't the new WR, it is Rodgers.  And you already know that.  Guess I hope that any new WR will have the brain and skillset that earns Rodgers trust quickly.

On 3/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, skibrett15 said:

I know there are a lot of extenuating circumstances, but it feels bad to be committing long term to the inferior player in Preston Smith Over Za'darius Smith.

We're 1 year removed from Z being the obvious top 2 defender on this team, and a clear top 20 defender in the league.

so with Z signing a 4 year 9M APY contract and Preston signing a 4 year 13M APY extension, did we keep the wrong guy here?

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

so with Z signing a 4 year 9M APY contract and Preston signing a 4 year 13M APY extension, did we keep the wrong guy here?

Possible scenario:
cut preston, save 12m, cut Z, save 16.  Sign Z, spend 9.

Net savings of about $21m, probably a good bit more if you backload Z's contract.

Instead they extended Preston - $8.xm savings, cut Z, saved 15.x.  Total saved was about 24.

If this was truly just a money/talent evaluation situation here, then I don't think the right call was made.

If the relationship was poisoned because of the captain thing and because of the restructure, I think the FO mismanaged that situation.  Did it lead to him not getting the back surgery he needed because in his mind he "needed to play" to earn this 2022 deal?

Last variable here is whether the back is really healthy long term.  It's safer to move on from that type of player.  But is it too safe to keep Preston smith at a higher APY when we're looking at a 2 year Rodgers window?

For all the talk that Rodgers doesn't give young guys chances, or only gives certain types of players shots... you need look no further than MVS to find a guy who did a ton of things wrong mentally, continually failed to grasp the back shoulder or build any real chemistry with Rodgers, yet still got shot play after shot play drawn up for him under Rodgers.  The other guy he trusted young was... Davante Adams.

Isn't it possible that Rodgers... simply trusts and throws to players who get open and catch the ball?

There isn't a single example of a player who was on the packers, "didn't get his shot" because of Rodgers' trust issues, and then went on to have a single successful NFL season.

There's also not a single example of a WR leaving GB and having any success since Rodgers was QB.  Nor any Tight End.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah they do, they gave him 9m a year when healthy Z easily makes 15+

well, yeah.  But you don't give 9/year to a guy who is cooked either.

Just not sure Preston smith really moves the needle for this team whereas Z potentially could.  Give him a deal with a 3-5M 2022 cap hit, a ton of NLTBE incentives for hitting 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 sacks... (all of which are NLTBE because he was hurt last year) and try to squeeze out 2 years with him as a 50-60% snaps guy and another 2 as a 30-40% guy if the first 2 years work out.

Preston is still a capable player and starter.  It's definitely the safe move.  Z being able to rush from all the spots is a huge advantage and he's just flat better at that more important and valuable part of the game.

Now we have 2-3 more years of a slowly declining Preston who is just as old.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

well, yeah.  But you don't give 9/year to a guy who is cooked either.

Just not sure Preston smith really moves the needle for this team whereas Z potentially could.  Give him a deal with a 3-5M 2022 cap hit, a ton of NLTBE incentives for hitting 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 sacks... (all of which are NLTBE because he was hurt last year) and try to squeeze out 2 years with him as a 50-60% snaps guy and another 2 as a 30-40% guy if the first 2 years work out.

Preston is still a capable player and starter.  It's definitely the safe move.  Z being able to rush from all the spots is a huge advantage and he's just flat better at that more important and valuable part of the game.

Now we have 2-3 more years of a slowly declining Preston who is just as old.

Preston is healthy, missed one game in his career. You don't pay 30 year olds who missed an entire year with a surgically repaired back.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Preston is healthy, missed one game in his career. You don't pay 30 year olds who missed an entire year with a surgically repaired back.

In general I agree.  I think the reward to risk here is pretty high though especially because Z played and played well in his last game.

I also don't love paying Preston Smith that deal at age 30.  He's never been a high impact rusher, and while I'd never call him a bad starter or a guy you're looking to replace, he's a safe play in what amounts to an all-in year, and in the long term is a guy who won't last more than 2-3 years on his current 5 year deal.