GB free agency 2022

squire12

One more FA re-signing in MVS and I think we're done in terms of bringing the rest of our players back.

Chandon Sullivan
Whitney Mercilus
Tyler Lancaster
Kevin King
Dennis Kelly

We're fully invested in Alexander, Douglas and Stokes. I think we will just dip in the draft again and pick up a cheaper younger CB prospect. Sullivan will almost certainly cost more even if his deal is cheap by FA standards. We're 100% done with King, no way we will bring him back.

Lancaster would add depth but I would rather upgrade on him in all honesty and I think the Packers would too. I don't think he will be a sought after free agent so there's a good chance he may still be available after the draft.

Mercilus was a street free agent last season. There was barely any interest in him last year and likely will be the same again this time round. I don't think we need to be rushing to sign him if at all.

Like Wagner we should just move on from Kelly. He was a depth stopgap nothing more.

If I was a rival NFC team I would be looking at the Packers WR situation and see an opportunity to F**K them up even further by extending an offer sheet to Lazard. Especially if MVS signs elsewhere. Just to really decimate Rodgers receiving options.

Whilst realistically Lazard isn't worth a 2nd rounder some teams however might find it worth doing just to derail the Packers season and of course their draft plans and plans for Aaron Rodgers - force them to reach for a WR and miss out on good players in other positions.

The Packers would be forced to surround Rodgers with rookies and unfamiliar aging FA receivers. Not Rodgers had in mind and perhaps those circumstances might even force him to retire in 2023. To quote the great Roger Murtaugh "I'm too old for this sh*t!".

It would be a brave, strategic move for any team who considers this.

To be fair the Packers put themselves in this position having too many WRs contracts ending at the same time. We all saw it coming and Gute was unable to pick up a FA, trade or draft a WR to avoid getting caught out by this exact scenario.

On one hand drafting Love lit a fire under Rodgers giving us back to back MVP seasons - totally worth it. It also gave us an inbuilt succession plan in the event Rodgers retires. Much better to do this than to be suddenly without a QB like the Patriots went through. I completely understood that line of thinking.

On the other hand, not drafting a WR messed up the WR succession plan and to surround Rodgers with more talented receivers. We knew two years ago that there was a chance Adams might be gone in 2022 and drafting a WR instead of Love would've kicked off our next succession plan. Perhaps right now we would had a new #1 WR in place with Adams gone and on top of that Rodgers will have already developed two years of rapport with this WR.

There's was really no right or wrong answer to this situation. Gute just needed to find a FA WR or trade for one to make his plans work but just wasn't able to. I'm not sure why he wasn't all over JuJu this year or last year. He will essentially be the #3 receiving option in Kansas whereas with us he would've been the #2 or even perhaps #1.

17 minutes ago, Chili said:

If I was a rival NFC team I would be looking at the Packers WR situation and see an opportunity to F**K them up even further by extending an offer sheet to Lazard. Especially if MVS signs elsewhere. Just to really decimate Rodgers receiving options.

Whilst realistically Lazard isn't worth a 2nd rounder some teams however might find it worth doing just to derail the Packers season and of course their draft plans and plans for Aaron Rodgers - force them to reach for a WR and miss out on good players in other positions.

The Packers would be forced to surround Rodgers with rookies and unfamiliar aging FA receivers. Not Rodgers had in mind and perhaps those circumstances might even force him to retire in 2023. To quote the great Roger Murtaugh "I'm too old for this sh*t!".

It would be a brave, strategic move for any team who considers this.

To be fair the Packers put themselves in this position having too many WRs contracts ending at the same time. We all saw it coming and Gute was unable to pick up a FA, trade or draft a WR to avoid getting caught out by this exact scenario.

I think I disagree that sending GB a RD2 pick for Lazard is smart on any level for a rival team, but I do expect this is exactly why GB used the RD2 tender.  It effectively takes Lazard off the market. 

I agree that Gute screwed the pooch by allowing the WR room to come to this.  Having all the WR contracts expire together has been a ticking time bomb that could have (and should have) been avoided.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think I disagree that sending GB a RD2 pick for Lazard is smart on any level for a rival team, but I do expect this is exactly why GB used the RD2 tender.  It effectively takes Lazard off the market. 

I agree that Gute screwed the pooch by allowing the WR room to come to this.  Having all the WR contracts expire together has been a ticking time bomb that could have (and should have) been avoided.

Agree here.  I think GB would take a 2nd for Lazard if the financials pushed it there

Probably why the 2nd round tender was used with Adams situation as it was

Edited by squire12

13 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

annnnnnd wish i didn't reeeeeaaaaad  it

The incentives on that thing are going to be barely real. 16 receptions, 176 yards, 2 TDs, etc. They will be one more of whatever stat JuJu had last year (he missed most of the year) so that they can be considered NLTBE in order to push the cap hit to next year.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The incentives on that thing are going to be barely real. 16 receptions, 176 yards, 2 TDs, etc. They will be one more of whatever stat JuJu had last year (he missed most of the year) so that they can be considered NLTBE in order to push the cap hit to next year.

I did read that $2m is tied to KC making or winning the AFCCG. Can't remember which.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Nobody is going to sign Lazard to an offer sheet.  He's just not a player worth coughing up a SRP over.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Pretty much.  It was Gute saying don't try putting an offer on Lazard.  If someone signs him to an offer sheet, I really don't think Gute matches.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nobody is going to sign Lazard to an offer sheet.  He's just not a player worth coughing up a SRP over.

Yeah the lack of options under contract forced Gute's hand to pay the extra amount to keep him.

Just don't tell certain posters here that Lazard isn't the best WR in league history 😂

Just now, Sandy said:

Just don't tell certain posters here that Lazard isn't the best WR in league history 😂

I'm not sure anyone is arguing that.  But I think there's a very legitimate argument that Lazard would be significantly more productive with more opportunities.  He stays healthy, I don't know why 80/1000 isn't a realistic target for him.