GB free agency 2022

squire12

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

They save just over $3m if they trade/cut him now but they save $6m if they hold and trade him post-June 1st or cut him with a post-June 1st designation.

If they don't get what they want in a trade, before the draft, they're better off just giving him the post-June 1st designation so it'll be interesting to see how they play it.

Would you go get him?

I don't get this fascination with MVS by Packer fans. Guy can sort of run fast, but he hasn't demonstrated any level of consistency at route running or more importantly catching. He is tops a WR2, and that's assuming he actually got consistent at both of those things without losing his speed. Honestly I think he is a WR3 currently, and not one I'm interested in over paying for. Bye MVS.

• Like 1

I thought MVS turned the corner in the playoffs and was catching everything Rodgers threw to him. I had high hopes going into last season and Rodgers never really built on that and MVS stats remained the same.

That playoff performances gives me hope of what he's capable of becoming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

I don't get this fascination with MVS by Packer fans. Guy can sort of run fast, but he hasn't demonstrated any level of consistency at route running or more importantly catching. He is tops a WR2, and that's assuming he actually got consistent at both of those things without losing his speed. Honestly I think he is a WR3 currently, and not one I'm interested in over paying for. Bye MVS.

I'm not saying I'd shell out a big deal for him but he's solid and has a high ceiling. His hands improved a lot last season. He went from 7 drops on 63 targets to 0 on 55 last year. That was a noticeable improvement. I also thought his underneath routes were better. It was his inability to play for any consistent amount of time that hindered him last season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

A Devante Parker trade makes so much sense now. 

Is he worth a late 2nd?

I don't think it would take that. I'm guessing he'll get cut with their current WR core so I'm looking at it like a Cooper/Woods situation. 5th or 6th rounder tops. 

• Like 1

Looking at it realistically, we aren’t going into the season with Cobb and Lazard. Something will change there. So I kinda want MVS to go to the Chiefs just to see if he is the legit deep threat I think he is with the right QB.

Benefit to bringing him back is familiarity only really. We could replace his skill set with a lot of similarly priced players. 

36 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Packer fans seem to almost universally not want him back. I don't see any fascination.

MVS is a cromulent deep threat, a thing you need for the geometry of the offense (i.e. make the guy(s) covering him run a long way from the line of scrimmage).  But but "big, long, runs fast" is not the hardest thing to find in WRs, so you can replace him with someone cheap (like the NDSU WR) instead of paying him too much.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

MVS is a cromulent deep threat, a thing you need for the geometry of the offense (i.e. make the guy(s) covering him run a long way from the line of scrimmage).  But but "big, long, runs fast" is not the hardest thing to find in WRs, so you can replace him with someone cheap (like the NDSU WR) instead of paying him too much.

adjective: cromulent  -  acceptable or adequate.

👍

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Cool Simpsons reference :)

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Since you mentioned him.....TDN's breakdown.....

Christian Watson is a very good athlete with good speed, agility, and excellent body control. For a taller receiver, he is surprisingly dynamic and displays the ability to consistently win against man coverage. In the passing game, he is extremely tough to cover. He can defeat press with foot quickness and has surprisingly good vertical speed. His home-run speed threatens a defender's cushion quickly. He does a good job of dropping his weight while displaying the separation quickness at the top of the route. He has a very good catch radius and is a matchup problem in contested-catch situations. He can contort his body to make tough catches and is dynamic with the football in his hands. In the NFL he is an outside receiver who projects with very good ability in the kicking game both as a returner and a core special teamer. 

Ideal Role: Outside WR

Scheme Fit: Any offense

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Benefit to bringing him back is familiarity only really. We could replace his skill set with a lot of similarly priced players. 

There's a time factor to consider here.
MVS is further down the development path than any draftee - and we know it takes time to become an NFL WR.
Even longer in GB with all of the motions/movement as a part of an offense that "looks" the same pre-snap...
- but then changes post-snap. There are a lot of pre-snap reads that WRs have to learn.

So you're resetting an uncertain clock as each rookie has a different developmental journey.

MVS has more value in GB than a run-fast rookie, but I suspect he gets more $$ elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Cool Simpsons reference :)

It's fun because it's a "Janus Word" (i.e. a word that means two things which are opposite of each other) so "what it means" depends on who is hearing it.  It's either-
1)Adequate, average, normal, acceptable.
-or-
2) Spurious, fabricated, fraudulent, ersatz.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

It's fun because it's a "Janus Word" (i.e. a word that means two things which are opposite of each other) so "what it means" depends on who is hearing it.  It's either-
1)Adequate, average, normal, acceptable.
-or-
2) Spurious, fabricated, fraudulent, ersatz.

Liam Hemsworth Workaholics GIF by Comedy Central