GB free agency 2022

squire12

23 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Why can’t you be outside all year round? Hunting, skiing just a couple hours north, ice fishing, play in the snow with your family, sledding, snow shoe. 
It does snow in Salt Lake City too. 

tell me you've never lived in a nice climate without telling me...

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Same difference. You tried to imply it. Nobody calls farmland "nature". You were using hyperbole to sell a bad opinion.

In all fairness if you head from GB by car to either Milwaukee/Chicago or to Madison and really where else are you going it's pretty much all farmland. 🤷‍♀️

23 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I'd love to see the looks on most of the faces of the millionaire twenty something year old African Americans from the south while some of you guys try to sell them the joys of snowmobiling and ice fishing in subzero weather or the beautiful foliage. 

GFTOH with that.. Y'all are ridiculous. 

when Vince wilfork installed a plow on his F150 and started plowing I-95 on the way to foxborough...

33 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Same difference. You tried to imply it. Nobody calls farmland "nature". You were using hyperbole to sell a bad opinion.

No, I didn't try to imply it, and no amount of demanding on your part will make it so.

And in my opinion your opinion is bad, so how bout DAT?

Edited by MaximusGluteus

12 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Weather might play into it but the biggest factor of where a player want to play beyond money is sex.

For young star athletes who were on college campuses, they were getting plenty. When they get drafted they ain't got not choice of the city to play in. If they mature and settle in a town like Green Bay and the money is good they will happily stay on. They have got accustomed to the slower pace of life.

However, if you went from college to a big city like Atlanta, where there are plenty of clubs, which means plenty of access to sex, there are plenty of massage parlours, plenty of access to sex, there are strip clubs, brothels etc, plenty access to sex, then to go to a city like Green Bay seems way less tempting, unless of course the hookers up in Green Bay are A+.

Now on the flip side, if you are a married man (a faithful one) you would have sex on tap, the key consideration is how to keep that wife happy. Happy wife means constant supply of sex. Unhappy wife means little supply of sex and overall miserable life. Do wives like hunting, fishing snowboarding etc, some maybe, not the majority. If their husband is a successful athlete they want a bit of fame and recognition, but much more importantly they want shopping and a variety of eating establishments. Malls and high end shopping districts are key considerations here.

When you factor all this in, who cares if it is cold, can you get laid is the prime question and even though I have not been to Green Bay, my assumption is that there is less facility, options and opportunities to facilitate that most basic of human urges that drives forwards most of our lives. 

I think for guys that aren’t making the type of money where they can literally have multiple homes and in the off-season live in say a California, Texas, Florida whatever , this might matter.

But do you really think someone like Aaron Rodgers is having a hard time in this department? Do you think Alexander is? Do you think any name in the nfl would have a problem if they came to GB? Sure maybe during the season at points. But these guys have social media and connections. You don’t think they can’t paid to fly some woman into town to stay a bit? Heck AB hooked up with an onlyfans model in New York when they went to play the jets.

Now if your point is these guys are regularly having sex with multiple women in short order, like a few every two weeks… yeah that’s a lot of plane tickets etc. it’s easier if you have a nice downtown where young women naturally are. But GB also regular draft guys with wives or long term girlfriends and if they go to FAs more times than not by that point guys in the league have wives etc. I also don’t think GB is in the business of wanting guys who’s focus is more on off the field than on the field.

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I also don’t think GB is in the business of wanting guys who’s focus is more on off the field than on the field.

It is a natural urge, not an off field issue. It is heightened by fame and money as you don't have to work hard to get it, women are throwing themselves at you. That's why big cities are more attractive.

Players also have a lot of down time even during a season, they are not working 10 hour days. What you can do in that down time is a key consideration to kill the boredom. If there is little to do and there is little hanky panky it can be seen as wasting the best years of your life and opportunity. I mean really how many Packers once they retire stick around in Green Bay?

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Everyone knows that Green Bay is less attractive to NFL player demographics. 

Similarly, most everyone else knows that Wisconsin is more than farmland.

These things are true at the same time. Using hyperbole to try and make a point is silly.

I never made the point that it was just farmland. But yea, that point would be silly. Wisconsin has cheese, brats, and beer too

14 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

It is a natural urge, not an off field issue. It is heightened by fame and money as you don't have to work hard to get it, women are throwing themselves at you. That's why big cities are more attractive.

Players also have a lot of down time even during a season, they are not working 10 hour days. What you can do in that down time is a key consideration to kill the boredom. If there is little to do and there is little hanky panky it can be seen as wasting the best years of your life and opportunity. I mean really how many Packers once they retire stick around in Green Bay?

And my point is they normally draft guys with girlfriends and wives. And guys like Rodgers or any established veteran from FA will have the ability to “ship” women in. They are also what 3 hours drive from Chicago? Not a short trip… but not some crazy amount of time if a guy has an urge, and it’s not like Chicago is hurting for attractive women. And I have never been to Milwaukee but I’m sure it’s like most cities and there are plenty of attractive women there too and that’s 1hr and 40 mins drive.

I live out in California and grew up in a place that was 2 hours away from LA… with traffic could easily take 4 hours. Guys Friday nights or the weekend would drive that distance to go to la clubs for the women. My point being it’s not like these guys aren’t within traveling distance to a big city (Chicago). Sure is it right there after practice on a Wednesday? No. But again they can literally text a woman in Chicago and make it worth her time to drive out.

My point is this isn’t likely keeping players away from GB. This would hurt say a 20 year old rookie, second year guy… who was a sixth rounder and is single. But attracting a free agent like they did with Z or Preston? Didn’t hurt because they were making the money and already had partners.

Main issues with GB:

weather (most of these athletes grow up in warm weather or if they have money want to be in fair weather areas)

state taxes (LV, FL will always be king here)

lifestyle (if you aren’t into midwestern type living it’s going to be tough, see OBJ… dude loves big cities like NY and LA)

demographic (plenty of people talk about this, it’s hard when you feel like you’re an outlier in the community at large. People want to feel like they can blend into the local culture… that’s hard for some in GB Wisconsin)

This is literally why they talked up “Packer People” with Ted. And why they had a type… because they knew. They want guys that are interested in football first and foremost because that’s the main thing they have to offer outside of money.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wonder if GB would have any interest? He's in the last year of his deal with a pretty big cap ($10m) so you'd have to rework that if you wanted him. I've never been a huge Njoku fan personally but he's only 26. 

A lot of tight ends take years to develop, and he certainly has the skills to be a move player at the position. Depends on what they look for in a deal but we can easily add him, possibly extend him, or at least reduce him with void years. I'd be generally for it.

7 minutes ago, Sandy said:

A lot of tight ends take years to develop, and he certainly has the skills to be a move player at the position. Depends on what they look for in a deal but we can easily add him, possibly extend him, or at least reduce him with void years. I'd be generally for it.

I think he actually came back like an hour later and said it was April Fools lol. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I think this might be a bad april fools joke.  I think Ian Rapoport hinted at that in a tweet this morning.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, HighCalebR said:

What can you do in salt lake city that you cant do in GB. I need examples of what all you people are doing for entertainment all the time.

Greatest snow on earth is appealing to alot of people. It's only cold 3 to 4 months out of the year and doesn't snow nearly as much or get all that cold.I'm not saying it's Vegas but it's a large city with alot to do. We hosted the Olympics while green Bay couldn't host a draft. The outdoors in Utah are some of the best in the country without a doubt. Salt lake struggles like Green Bay when it comes to free agents for the jazz for similar reasons when compared to other NBA cities.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Being outside all year round is the obvious one, but that's cancelled out by their god awful alcohol laws. 

The religion controlling the laws is the biggest downside for sure. The beer is finally fixed but we can't buy liquor unless it's from a state liquor store so they get more of a cut.