2022 Combine Thread

Ragnarok

11 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

3/4 ILB and 4-3 MLB ain't the same

Is it really that different?  NFL teams these days play more dime defense than base, and the most common personnel is nickel which has 2 off-ball LBs on the field no matter whether your front is nominally odd or even.

I think the bigger difference is in the front personnel, not at the second level.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Is it really that different?  NFL teams these days play more dime defense than base, and the most common personnel is nickel which has 2 off-ball LBs on the field no matter whether your front is nominally odd or even.

I think the bigger difference is in the front personnel, not at the second level.

in a base D, i think it is, but you're right about dime defenses.

Hutch is an elite athlete. In order of importance:

- 1.62 10 yd is elite

- 6.73 3 cone is insane

- 36" vert is great for 260+lbs

- 9'9 broad is just above avg.

Crazy first step and agility with above average hand usage and explosion. Yeah if his arms were any shorter it'd be an issue but I think he will be fine. Rich man's JA is a very favourable proposition that I would take if i were Detroit.

I do think Jags should probably take Ickey 1 though. Man they need to protect their qb and give him the ability to succeed

2 minutes ago, lark25 said:

Hutch is an elite athlete. In order of importance:

- 1.62 10 yd is elite

- 6.73 3 cone is insane

- 36" vert is great for 260+lbs

- 9'9 broad is just above avg.

Crazy first step and agility with above average hand usage and explosion. Yeah if his arms were any shorter it'd be an issue but I think he will be fine. Rich man's JA is a very favourable proposition that I would take if i were Detroit.

I do think Jags should probably take Ickey 1 though. Man they need to protect their qb and give him the ability to succeed

His agility scores are insane for his size. I would hesitate to call anybody a rich man's Jared Allen because Allen is a HOFer. But Hutchinson certainly has the potential to be a Jared Allen-like player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Not ideal, I agree.

Just think this type of performance to go with his on field production (and in a weak class at the top) get him secured as a top 2 pick.

I have my reservations, but I don’t see how he gets past Detroit. Especially with whatever seems to be going on with Thibs and his stock.

Hutchinson goes no later than #2. If the Lions don't draft him, it's because they traded down with a team that will draft him.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

@Ozzy are you still ready to say that Karlaftis isn't athletic?

Compared to Jermaine Johnson and Travon Walker yeah he is, not even a comparison and not even close or on the same page.  There is a reason he did not run the 40.  Sure looked ok in the field workout but is pretty damn stumpy and is nothing compared to those two edge guys especially if one is thinking 3/4 OLB.  Also Ojabo will go ahead of him as well.  Boye Mafe out performed him and possibly could be drafted ahead of him also.  Nik Bonitto is another who is probably going to go ahead of him especially a 3/4 team which half the league seems to be now, he is a great looking athlete.  

Sam Williams had a great 40 and Arnold Ebiketie impressed and he did not run the 40 and Tyree Johnson did not do anything outside of the bench and he would blow the doors off George in the 40.  DeAngelo Malone is another who is really rising and is one hell of a athlete. So yeah in this amazing edge class George will drop while guys like Walker, Johnson and Mafe are skyrocketing up.  

So yeah.

Great effort player high motor and consistent production but as a 3/4 OLB, no thank you.  4/3 DE is a nice fit and could do well with the right group.  Again is not even on the same planet as Johnson or Walker athletically thus he is dropping down the draft boards not going up them.  Still has a chance to be a 1st rounder but would like to have seen him run the 40 or do the 3 cone, again there is a reason he did not do either I assume.  

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

They're not taking a QB at #2.

Correct. If they Lions really do fall in love with a QB this class, it should be rather easy to trade #32 and #34 to move up and get him barring everyone falling in love with the same player (which I doubt, if they haven't done so by now, I don't see any QB really shooting up post combine).

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

That 3-cone stat is impressive for Hutchinson no doubt, but not sure how he "scored" higher than Travon Walker.

Travon Walker
40  4.51
Broad 123
Bench DNP
Vertical 35.5
Cone 6.89
Shuttle 4.32

Aidan Hutchinson
40  4.74
Broad 117
Bench DNP
Vertical 36
Cone 6.73
Shuttle 4.15

And Hutchinson is 6-7?  Is that a typo?  He does not look like he is 6-7 on the field and in workouts but I guess he is.  Walker is 12 pounds heavier and has 3"+" longer arms so there is that.  

Still not sure I would say Hutchinson's athletic workout was more impressive than Walker's which was an insane workout.  Outside of the cone and shuttle Walker blew Hutchinson away and was arguably more impressive in the field workout overall which clearly had nothing to do with his "score" in this I assume.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

That 3-cone stat is impressive for Hutchinson no doubt, but not sure how he "scored" higher than Travon Walker.

Travon Walker
40  4.51
Broad 123
Bench DNP
Vertical 35.5
Cone 6.89
Shuttle 4.32

Aidan Hutchinson
40  4.74
Broad 117
Bench DNP
Vertical 36
Cone 6.73
Shuttle 4.15

And Hutchinson is 6-7?  Is that a typo?  He does not look like he is 6-7 on the field and in workouts but I guess he is.  Walker is 12 pounds heavier and has 3"+" longer arms so there is that.  

Still not sure I would say Hutchinson's athletic workout was more impressive than Walker's which was an insane workout.  Outside of the cone and shuttle Walker blew Hutchinson away and was arguably more impressive in the field workout overall which clearly had nothing to do with his "score" in this I assume.  

The score is testing numbers relative to your height and weight and compared to past numbers from similarly built players.

I assume being 6’7” helped him a lot in the scoring

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

@Ozzy are you still ready to say that Karlaftis isn't athletic?

Karlaftis is a victim of a really good EDGE class. He's being passed by the guys in this class who have extraordinarily high ceilings. But he's going to make a team very happy. He's not bendy. That's his big weakness. But he's explosive off the snap, he's strong as an ox, he has the quickness to win inside and on stunts, and he has very heavy hands. When you add in his refined handwork (for a college DL) and diverse set of pass rush moves, I think he's an easy projection.

No, he doesn't have the highest ceiling. But he strikes me as like Chris Long. He'll have some double-digit sack years, but even in the years where he's not giving you 10+ sacks, he's going to pressure the QB a lot and help the rushers around him. As a run defender, he needs to play a bit more disciplined, but he'll be a plus in that department as he grows as a player. He's not the force that Jermaine Johnson is, but he'll stack his blocker and set a hard edge.

What I see is a guy who is going to consistently collapse the pocket and put OTs in tough spots. He saw a lot of double teams this year. He's not an Aaron Donald or J.J. Watt type player. He's not going to beat double teams with any sort of consistency. But if you leave him one on one, he'll get pressure at a high rate. But he likely won't finish at the rate the top pass rushers do.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

His agility scores are insane for his size. I would hesitate to call anybody a rich man's Jared Allen because Allen is a HOFer. But Hutchinson certainly has the potential to be a Jared Allen-like player.

Sorry as a 

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Compared to Jermaine Johnson and Travon Walker yeah he is, not even a comparison and not even close or on the same page.  There is a reason he did not run the 40.  Sure looked ok in the field workout but is pretty damn stumpy and is nothing compared to those two edge guys especially if one is thinking 3/4 OLB.  Also Ojabo will go ahead of him as well.  Boye Mafe out performed him and possibly could be drafted ahead of him also.  Nik Bonitto is another who is probably going to go ahead of him especially a 3/4 team which half the league seems to be now, he is a great looking athlete.  

Sam Williams had a great 40 and Arnold Ebiketie impressed and he did not run the 40 and Tyree Johnson did not do anything outside of the bench and he would blow the doors off George in the 40.  DeAngelo Malone is another who is really rising and is one hell of a athlete. So yeah in this amazing edge class George will drop while guys like Walker, Johnson and Mafe are skyrocketing up.  

So yeah.

Great effort player high motor and consistent production but as a 3/4 OLB, no thank you.  4/3 DE is a nice fit and could do well with the right group.  Again is not even on the same planet as Johnson or Walker athletically thus he is dropping down the draft boards not going up them.  Still has a chance to be a 1st rounder but would like to have seen him run the 40 or do the 3 cone, again there is a reason he did not do either I assume.  

Dude a 38" very at nearly 270 is a Greek freak not an effort player.

I dont think he would run a great 40 but the explosion is top 10%

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

I don’t think they should, or will either. But I promise I’ve seen dumber 💩 happen.

I expect they're going to give Goff another shot. Next year's QB class looks to be better. If Goff faceplants, they can grab a QB. If he builds off of his finish to the season with a better supporting cast around him, they might just have something.

• Like 1