2022 Combine Thread

Ragnarok

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's a LOT of words to say that you aren't willing to admit you were wrong about Karlaftis.  Despite your opinion otherwise, he tested quite similarly to Travon Walker.

George Karlaftis: 6036, 266 lbs, 38" vertical, 10'1" broad jump, 4.36 short shuttle
Travon Walker: 6050, 272 lbs, 35.5" vertical, 10'3" broad jump, 4.32 short shuttle
Jermaine Johnson: 6045, 254 lbs, 32" vertical, 10'5" broad jump, DNP short shuttle
David Ojabo: 6040, 250 lbs, 35" vertical, 10'2" broad jump, 4.45 short shuttle

George Karlaftis tested as well as Travon Walker did at a similar weight, and he tested the same or better then Jermaine Johnson at 10+ pounds heavier.  The guy who was viewed as a freak athlete (David Ojabo) was remarkably pedestrian and he was 15+ pounds lighter then George Karlaftis.  The only reason you're arguing against Karlaftis is because you think he's going to post a bad 40 yard dash time, which quite frankly might be one of the worst reasons to "penalize" a player.  I'd be a LOT more inclined to be concerned about his 10-yard split then his 40 yard dash time.  There is NEVER going to be an in-game situation where a pass rusher is going to run 40 yards in a straight-line.  It's about evaluating their explosion, and Karlaftis did exactly what he needed to do today.  Would you have liked to see him run the 40 yard dash?  Absolutely, but I'm not going to penalize him for doing what's best for him.

Don't know where you're getting Travon Walker's broad jump at.  It'd be a foot+ more then any other DL or EDGE.  He jumped 10'3".  Hutch tested better then him.  It's okay to admit that.  That doesn't discredit Travon Walker.

So you clearly just ignore 40 times as if they did not even happen or matter, go ahead and do that and pretend Travon Walker at 6-5 272 running a 4.51 40 in not insane.  Go draft George Karlaftis over him, have fun.  Recall you saying George would be a great 3/4 edge guy, no I disagree with that then and do now, he is a 4/3 DE and he is going to be passed over in this draft by guys that beat him out and out played him during the season and are out performing him in workouts.

Walker's broad jump is 10 feet, times 12 equals 120", plus 3 equals 123"  What do you mean where am I getting it at?  Math.  The top guy Barno had 131" and Hutchinson is 9 feet, times 12 equals 108" plus 9 equals 117".  I checked those last night they were in inches now they are in feet/inches.

And no Hutchinson did not test better than Travon Walker in total, did you even watch the field workout or the 40?  Obviously not because he did better in that as well.  Hutchinson will still be picked higher and is a fine talent but continue to ignore how insane Travon Walker's performance was which was on par for multiple Georgia defenders.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I didn't like Brian Burns that much. I thought he played soft and was weak against the run. I don't watch Carolina much, but it seems like he's improved in that regard. Still, I do think bend is important for an EDGE. Can a rusher overcome a lack of bend? Yes. But it lacking that trait removes a highly useful tool from the toolbox. It gives you less margin for error. But having other dominant traits can certainly overcome it. And Karlaftis has other winning traits. I'm arguing he's underrated.

Sure he is underrated but considering where I and I assume others had him rated preseason, he has underperformed.  Could be a fine pro no question but the dude is getting passed up, sure will not matter in the end possibly but will matter right now in him losing a few million.  

Still no clue why he did not do the 3 cone or the 40, seemed to be in decent shape so there must be an issue with both.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So you clearly just ignore 40 times as if they did not even happen or matter, go ahead and do that and pretend Travon Walker at 6-5 272 running a 4.51 40 in not insane.  Go draft George Karlaftis over him, have fun.  Recall you saying George would be a great 3/4 edge guy, no I disagree with that then and do now, he is a 4/3 DE and he is going to be passed over in this draft by guys that beat him out and out played him during the season and are out performing him in workouts.

Walker's broad jump is 10 feet, times 12 equals 120", plus 3 equals 123"  What do you mean where am I getting it at?  Math.  The top guy Barno had 131" and Hutchinson is 9 feet, times 12 equals 108" plus 9 equals 117".  I checked those last night they were in inches now they are in feet/inches.

And no Hutchinson did not test better than Travon Walker in total, did you even watch the field workout or the 40?  Obviously not because he did better in that as well.  Hutchinson will still be picked higher and is a fine talent but continue to ignore how insane Travon Walker's performance was which was on par for multiple Georgia defenders.  

George Karlaftis is by far my least favorite edge rusher in this draft class I'd literally draft 10 Edge guys over him; I just don't like his on field game production (whatsoever).

With all of that said 40 times for D-Lineman (especially DTs) with no shoulder pads on and no helmets on are extremely overrated. 

Because no D-Linemen will never (not in a million years) ever have an opportunity to run 40 yards in a straight line without an O-Linemen there to slow them down. 

11 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Hate to state the obvious, but Jordan Davis got the same benefit. As did Wyatt, and Walker. You get my point.

I’m judging on the plays he made, and his traits.

At least in my case you can trust me when I say I watched the tape. I don’t give any real credit for the sacks you get when a crappy OL forgot to block you and you got a free lane to the QB.

Bama fans said the same thing about Raekwon Davis, but once Payne left things changed and Isaiah Buggs and Quinnen Williams were the two that blew up that follow year and Davis never quite took his game to the next level.  

Easy to say oh but this guy, and that was a Bama D that had far more returning talent than this Georgia D.  Will show a lot to just how good of recruits he brings in because Bama has reloaded multiple years, Georgia not sure they have withstood a massive exit like this one losing the entire front seven who were the core leaders of the program and a lot of them were seniors.  

Will be interesting how they look next year and how they reload.  That is an insane amount of talent, not sure Bama ever lost an entire front seven like that.  I guess one could say Nolan Smith was the starting OLB not Adam Anderson obviously so I guess he is returning at least so maybe not the entire front seven.  

6 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Davis and Walker did even better than i thought they would and i already had high expectations for them coming into this.  The only thing i hesitate on Davis in taking him at 8 for the Falcons is if he can hold up to around 700 to 850 snaps a season.  He hasn't done more than 200 to 300 snaps so he is almost going to have to triple that at the next level to be a legit 3 down lineman.  If he can do that and stay as active as he was at UGA then he is for sure worthy of a top 10 pick.  Doesn't hurt that he reminds me a ton of my favorite player of all time in Big John Henderson either :)

He recently admitted to playing at 360 or so. If he can maintain 340 or even 330 (maybe too much to ask), wouldn't surprise me if he'll be able to handle a bigger workload. I'm interested where he ends up and what their plans are for him

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:
8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Travon Walker
40  4.51
Broad 123
Bench DNP
Vertical 35.5
Cone 6.89
Shuttle 4.32

Aidan Hutchinson
40  4.74
Broad 117
Bench DNP
Vertical 36
Cone 6.73
Shuttle 4.15

Don't know where you're getting Travon Walker's broad jump at.  It'd be a foot+ more then any other DL or EDGE.

123 inches is a 10’3”. 

12x10=120 +3

• Like 1

So I went to the combine a few years ago and realized something seeing them in person.  Guys can have the same numbers and not be the same athletically.  The year I went, three guys just moved differently than everyone else that day.  Quinnen, Bosa, and Rashan Gary.  I dont know what their test numbers were now, but I remember how everything they did was more fluid than everyone else.

I'm a Karlaftis fan and think he will have a long, very productive career(i prefer him to Hutch).  But Travon moved better than he did, even if they tested similarly.

• Like 3