2022 Combine Thread

Ragnarok

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So you clearly just ignore 40 times as if they did not even happen or matter, go ahead and do that and pretend Travon Walker at 6-5 272 running a 4.51 40 in not insane.  Go draft George Karlaftis over him, have fun.  Recall you saying George would be a great 3/4 edge guy, no I disagree with that then and do now, he is a 4/3 DE and he is going to be passed over in this draft by guys that beat him out and out played him during the season and are out performing him in workouts.

First off, I didn't ignore 40 yard times.  George Karlaftis didn't run a 40 yard dash time, so there's nothing to compare there.  You're making the assumption that he's going to test poorly and using that opinion to justify your argument.  IF/WHEN Karlaftis runs the 40 yard dash, we can then make a straight-line comparison.  Until then, we can only compare what they both did.  And I never said Karlaftis was a great 3-4 EDGE, I said I thought he could be a really good one.  I think I remember someone throwing out a Ryan Kerrigan comparison for him, and honestly I didn't hate it.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Walker's broad jump is 10 feet, times 12 equals 120", plus 3 equals 123"  What do you mean where am I getting it at?  Math.  The top guy Barno had 131" and Hutchinson is 9 feet, times 12 equals 108" plus 9 equals 117".  I checked those last night they were in inches now they are in feet/inches.

That was a misunderstanding in units.  I prefer the feet/inches when talking about broad jump.  Not just inches.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And no Hutchinson did not test better than Travon Walker in total, did you even watch the field workout or the 40?  Obviously not because he did better in that as well.  Hutchinson will still be picked higher and is a fine talent but continue to ignore how insane Travon Walker's performance was which was on par for multiple Georgia defenders. 

Again, you're fixating on that 40 yard dash time when it's probably the most irrelevant workout/test that pass rushers do.  The only part of that 40 yard dash that is even remotely relevant is the 10 yard splits, which both posted 1.62 which would be "average" for pass rushers.  It's still really good, but not this elite initial burst.  The only test that Walker did better then Hutch did was the broad jump, but it also has to be noted that Walker is 12 pounds heavier then Hutch, so when you normalize it Walker was the more impressive player.

And why is Hutch viewed as a top 5 lock and Walker isn't?  Production.  Hutch was more productive in his final year then Walker was at Georgia his entire career.  Does that mean Walker won't/can't be better then Hutch?  Absolutely not.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Walker also is only 20 years old, so he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential. Hutchinson already has IMO. Hutchinson is a good prospect, but those small arms are a legitimate concern.

Hutch is 4 months older then Walker...

59 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

I'm a huge Kayvon Thibodeaux. 

It's funny to me. 

The same people who praised him for his amazing Freshman season?

Then become the same one's who doubt his heart currently?

Without even knowing/realizing that his Junior Season was even more impressive and much more efficient than even his breakout Freshman Year? 

Mind boggling to me. 

As an Oregon fan your's, which team in the top 5 would you most like to see him go to?

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Yes but he likely isn’t going to grow longer arms at this point of his life. He’s a T-Rex and that’s a concern.

And that's a knock on him.  But the notion that Walker is some huge untapped potential and Hutch is limited fails the logic test when Hutch is only 4 months older then him.  This isn't a situation where Walker is 1+ years younger then Hutch.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that's a knock on him.  But the notion that Walker is some huge untapped potential and Hutch is limited fails the logic test when Hutch is only 4 months older then him.  This isn't a situation where Walker is 1+ years younger then Hutch.

And I’m saying his frame and age in tandem is a factor, not age in a vacuum

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Have you watched Walker rushing the passer?

Yes I have. Quite a bit. I’m a diehard college fan and have watched him play a lot. His scheme in college is a factor for a lot of things.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes I have. Quite a bit. I’m a diehard college fan and have watched him play a lot. His scheme in college is a factor for a lot of things.

I come away pretty underwhelmed in that department. His floor is likely high due to how good he is in the run game, but he has a long ways to go as a pass rusher imo. 

Hutch has his concerns (pretty sure length and bend have been overblown at this point to an extent), but I’m not really sure how they’re even comparable unless you’re purely going for the length/athletic package with Walker and hoping he just figures it out.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And now you're projecting.

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

First off, I didn't ignore 40 yard times.  George Karlaftis didn't run a 40 yard dash time, so there's nothing to compare there.  You're making the assumption that he's going to test poorly and using that opinion to justify your argument.  IF/WHEN Karlaftis runs the 40 yard dash, we can then make a straight-line comparison.  Until then, we can only compare what they both did.  And I never said Karlaftis was a great 3-4 EDGE, I said I thought he could be a really good one.  I think I remember someone throwing out a Ryan Kerrigan comparison for him, and honestly I didn't hate it.

That was a misunderstanding in units.  I prefer the feet/inches when talking about broad jump.  Not just inches.

Again, you're fixating on that 40 yard dash time when it's probably the most irrelevant workout/test that pass rushers do.  The only part of that 40 yard dash that is even remotely relevant is the 10 yard splits, which both posted 1.62 which would be "average" for pass rushers.  It's still really good, but not this elite initial burst.  The only test that Walker did better then Hutch did was the broad jump, but it also has to be noted that Walker is 12 pounds heavier then Hutch, so when you normalize it Walker was the more impressive player.

And why is Hutch viewed as a top 5 lock and Walker isn't?  Production.  Hutch was more productive in his final year then Walker was at Georgia his entire career.  Does that mean Walker won't/can't be better then Hutch?  Absolutely not.

"I remember someone throwing out a Ryan Kerrigan comparison"  Yeah it was on TV and also on TV they talked about the 10 yard splits as being important as well, on the TV.  Kerrigan put up 10 more reps of 225 bench as well.

"The only test that Walker did better then Hutch did was the broad jump"   Again forgetting the 40 time I see.  I am not arguing that Hutchinson is the more proven player and will be picked ahead of Walker, but Walker did out perform him in the field drills and was physically more impressive to me and again he looked like the 6-7 edge guy not Hutchinson, and the arm length is a big part of that.  

todd-mcshay-discusses-travon-walker-impr

PTRMVMRERVDWTO2DJ4ZC6P2UYM.JPG

TJ Watt 4.69
Robert Quinn 4.62
Myles Garrett 4.57-4.64
Nick Bosa 4.79
Trey Hendrickson 4.65
Micah Parsons 4.39
Cam Jordan 4.69-4.74
Aaron Donald 4.68
Matthew Judon 4.73
Harold Landry 4.64

Top 10 sack guys in the NFL last year in terms of production.  Nick Bosa is the only one without a pretty damn good time in the 40 and he was coming off an injury and probably was not 100% at that combine.  Sure the 10 yard split matters, so does how you finish.  Yeah it is not everything but again if you are saying how great George did athletically, well others did better, not only yesterday but also during the season.  

Will see if he ever runs that 40 or does that 3 cone, assuming why not and sure that is a projection but honestly what the hell, do everything but those two for no reason at all?   Sorry there has to be a reason.  On the TV there is talk of some questioning why Kayvon Thibodeau shut it down after the 40, but with George cannot talk bad about him ever?  

Maybe he should have returned to school but  then again Isaiah Foskey could be a beast and so could Habakkuk Baldonado and Myles Murphy next year but obviously not as deep.  

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

come away pretty underwhelmed in that department. His floor is likely high due to how good he is in the run game, but he has a long ways to go as a pass rusher imo.

He’s a 3-4 5 tech 2 gap player who wasn’t ever really asked to be an edge rusher. It makes it impossible to predict IMO.

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think he's being slept on.

Yeah I think he should be a lock 1st round pick, I would be disappointed if he does not run a 4.5 range 40 if not better.  And he should be outstanding in the field workout.