2022 Combine Thread

Ragnarok

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Again forgetting the 40 time I see.  I am not arguing that Hutchinson is the more proven player and will be picked ahead of Walker, but Walker did out perform him in the field drills and was physically more impressive to me and again he looked like the 6-7 edge guy not Hutchinson, and the arm length is a big part of that.  

No.  I think I've made my point very clear, I think the 40 yard dash is an absolutely STUPID test to use.  The 10-yard split is a SIGNIFICANTLY more indicative test to determine a players' explosion.  You're fixated on that 40 yard dash, and you'll ignore everything else.  I'm not sure why you're so fixated on that 40 yard dash time, it's impressive but it's hardly a good barometer for athletic testing.  You're Al Davis 2.0 with your reliance on the 40 yard dash times.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

TJ Watt 4.69 - 1.59
Robert Quinn 4.62 - 1.64
Myles Garrett 4.57-4.64 - 1.63
Nick Bosa 4.79 - 1.62
Trey Hendrickson 4.65 - 1.59
Micah Parsons 4.39 - 1.59
Cam Jordan 4.69-4.74 - 1.64
Aaron Donald 4.68 - 1.63
Matthew Judon 4.73 - 1.65
Harold Landry 4.64 - 1.59

I added 10 yard splits next to 40 yard dash times for context.  Also for context:

A “Great” 10-Yard Split Time (1.55 seconds and under)
A “Good” 10-Yard Split Time (1.56-1.59)
An “Average” 10-Yard Split Time (1.60-1.62)
A “Below Average” 10-Yard Split Times (1.63-1.69)

What you're doing is a prime example of confirmation bias.

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Will see if he ever runs that 40 or does that 3 cone, assuming why not and sure that is a projection but honestly what the hell, do everything but those two for no reason at all?   Sorry there has to be a reason.  On the TV there is talk of some questioning why Kayvon Thibodeau shut it down after the 40, but with George cannot talk bad about him ever?  

You'd have to ask him.  But I'm not going to try and blast the guy for choosing not to do those.  It leaves more question marks, but I'm not buying the guy for his decision especially when he wasn't the only one to skip certain drills.  Same reason why I'm not buying Thibs for not doing the rest of the drills.  It's ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes I have. Quite a bit. I’m a diehard college fan and have watched him play a lot. His scheme in college is a factor for a lot of things.

And that's why people are high on him.  You combine his athletic tools with how he was utilized in college, and you're probably going to get someone who is a better pro then college player.  Kinda reminds me of Rashan Gary in that regard.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He’s a 3-4 5 tech 2 gap player who wasn’t ever really asked to be an edge rusher. It makes it impossible to predict IMO.

He still had some reps on 3rd down where they had him coming off the edge. 

Are we just assuming kicking him out full time as an edge rusher + having his measurables make him a worthy top pick/on par with Hutch/Thibs? 

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that's why people are high on him.  You combine his athletic tools with how he was utilized in college, and you're probably going to get someone who is a better pro then college player.  Kinda reminds me of Rashan Gary in that regard.

Gary is a pretty spot on comp imo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'd say the Lions are less likely, but it's close.  Lawrence didn't show much, but the Lions do have the pick QB1 is worth this year (it's just not 2).

And we have a winner for worst take in the thread.

4 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

George Karlaftis is by far my least favorite edge rusher in this draft class I'd literally draft 10 Edge guys over him; I just don't like his on field game production (whatsoever).

I guess I have to put Karloftis as Edge 1 now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I think I've made my point very clear, I think the 40 yard dash is an absolutely STUPID test to use.  The 10-yard split is a SIGNIFICANTLY more indicative test to determine a players' explosion.  You're fixated on that 40 yard dash, and you'll ignore everything else.  I'm not sure why you're so fixated on that 40 yard dash time, it's impressive but it's hardly a good barometer for athletic testing.  You're Al Davis 2.0 with your reliance on the 40 yard dash times.

I added 10 yard splits next to 40 yard dash times for context.  Also for context:

A “Great” 10-Yard Split Time (1.55 seconds and under)
A “Good” 10-Yard Split Time (1.56-1.59)
An “Average” 10-Yard Split Time (1.60-1.62)
A “Below Average” 10-Yard Split Times (1.63-1.69)

What you're doing is a prime example of confirmation bias.

You'd have to ask him.  But I'm not going to try and blast the guy for choosing not to do those.  It leaves more question marks, but I'm not buying the guy for his decision especially when he wasn't the only one to skip certain drills.  Same reason why I'm not buying Thibs for not doing the rest of the drills.  It's ridiculous.

Whatever dude, this entire conversation with you is a total waste of time.  You have a clear agenda that you are trying to push which is pretty sad.  Either way if you came away from yesterday as being the most wildly impressed with George Karlaftis, well go have fun with that.

I came out of yesterday being far more impressed with multiple edge rushers outside of him, sure Georgie boy did ok in the field workouts but overall did not wow or wildly impress in pretty much anything.  Sold sure but dude will be dropping come draft time most likely after I had him top 15 preseason last May.

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And we have a winner for worst take in the thread.

People really are mad about the comparative valuation of "two incredibly unlikely things" based on the basis that the Detroit Lions have shown more organizational competence in the past couple seasons than the Jags have, huh.

Since if anybody takes a QB in the top 10 this year, that person should be fired.

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Whatever dude, this entire conversation with you is a total waste of time.  You have a clear agenda that you are trying to push which is pretty sad.  Either way if you came away from yesterday as being the most wildly impressed with George Karlaftis, well go have fun with that.

No.  I came away with Karlaftis did exactly what he needed to do.  Show he wasn't a bad athlete.  And he did exactly that.  Have I ever suggested that he's an elite athlete?  No.  I just argued he wasn't the mediocre athlete you claimed him to be.  And the Combine confirmed that.

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I came out of yesterday being far more impressed with multiple edge rushers outside of him, sure Georgie boy did ok in the field workouts but overall did not wow or wildly impress in pretty much anything.  Sold sure but dude will be dropping come draft time most likely after I had him top 15 preseason last May.

Again, you're using the wrong context to justify your argument.  Compared to some of the other top pass rushers in this year's class, is Karlaftis a below-average athlete?  Sure.  But compared to the larger sample size of the Combine history, he's an above-average athlete, which is what I've argued this entire time.  Even if you get him into the late teens, early 20s you're going to get a solid pro for the next decade.  May not be a franchise-altering prospect, but he's certainly someone who you can pencil in.  Again, why I think the Ryan Kerrigan comparison isn't too far off.

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And for the record, I think Mike Smith had a LOT to do with Rashan Gary's development.

38 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He still had some reps on 3rd down where they had him coming off the edge. 

Are we just assuming kicking him out full time as an edge rusher + having his measurables make him a worthy top pick/on par with Hutch/Thibs? 

I don’t think he will be a top pick, but I’d also say I’d take his floor above most as well. Worst case scenario barring injury you have a top tier run defender, edge setter, and versatility to slide inside on third downs. He’s got versatility in 3-4 or 4-3 as well. 

• Like 1

I know that DB is a stopwatch position while DE/LB/Edge really isn't, but it's always kind of funny when some of these guys don't run as fast as like Travon Walker, Boye Mafe, Nik Bonitto, David Ojabo etc.

Obviously the reason you wouldn't want those last guys playing CB has nothing to do with how fast they are in a straight line.