2022 Combine Thread

Ragnarok

56 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You can justify taking Hamilton in that Minkah Fitzpatrick/Derwin James range, but if you take him in the top 10 odds are pretty good that you're going to wish you took an edge or an OL instead given how this class looks.

EDIT: There might be a chance Hamilton isn't even the top safety taken:

Looking at these combine results, I'm starting to see why Georgia's defense was so dominate. Literal freaks (even by college standards) across the board.

41 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

My hair is on 🔥 heading into this draft. I can't decide who I want and everyday I'm changing my mind OFFENSE x4 1st two rounds? Defense x4 1st two rounds? OFFENSE x2 and Defense x2 1st two rounds? 

You’re right. From the outside I don’t think I realized quite how good of a job Douglas had done managing assets (mostly due to W-L and didn’t line up all the deals on paper). I still think the Darnold one was fair tbh. 3rd overall pick. Very young. No 1st rounder involved. Give both sides credit regardless of how it turned out.

Back to those picks. Yeah tough to decide how to allocate without seeing who falls. Might depend quite a bit on how the HC/Front office feels about the WR/RB rooms. If they’re comfortable they could plan those first four to go 3x Defense and 1 OL. Just go BPA after. I could easily see the first round being Edge/OL (in either order), then just defensive BPA in round 2. Look for value WR/TE/DB in round 3. 

Could go a few different ways. Or the other old cliché; Got your franchise QB you DO NOT WANT to fail, so load up around him. Would leave your defense searching though.

In the end I gotta assume those first four go 2-2 or 3-1 in some capacity. I’d be surprised if all four are on one side. And as a fan I would hope for at least one trade back within your first three picks just to add one extra pick next year as well. Just my opinion. Always reload a little, even if it’s only a 2-3 spot move and gives you an extra 4th or 5th next year. Extra chances to hit, or trade up ammo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The shuttle is a bigger concern for me than anything else in all honesty. 

Yeah the agility numbers are the real concern. That said, I believe those are the last drills of the day and almost nobody is putting up great numbers in the 3 Cone.

Just now, Blue said:

Yeah the agility numbers are the real concern. That said, I believe those are the last drills of the day and almost nobody is putting up great numbers in the 3 Cone.

I still believe he’s an ideal big nickel S/LB hybrid. I personally think he’s going to be great against TE but I can’t see him as a slot receiver defender after this, albeit numbers aren’t everything.

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

Was a bit disappointed with Kyler Gordon

He was a little overrated coming into the process, but yeah did not amaze out there.  Physically he looked impressive but was not as nimble or as quick as some thought.  Still not sure I was wowed by him on Washington, but Jimmy Lake obviously knew how to find DB and coach DBs.  I assume he will get another job sooner rather than later.  

Cam Taylor-Britt was impressive, had him 1st round preseason, now probably a 2nd rounder but dude is legit, had some good times and is a hell of a tackler for a corner, very tough and had a good field workout.  

Joshua Williams impressed for a 6-3 corner I thought, physically looked good.  Zyon McCollum also impressed a lot as well, very smooth for his size.  Woolen is obviously interesting as well with that size and speed, and Jack Jones is a dude with his ball skills.  Sure has a rough background but he impressed a ton in the field workout.  

Daxton Hill impressed but that is not a surprise, 2nd fastest 3 cone in the entire combine, dude has absolutely legit footwork and is a star.  McCollum was 1st overall in the 3 cone regardless of position which is also super impressive.  

Crazy the speed put down out there, but I must say back in 1987 when this starter at Indy in the old RCA Dome, that turf was actual turf and not nearly as good of a surface as it is now.  Could one even use cleats back then?  Where now the cleats just dig right into the rubber and one can get some major traction off that.  It is a superior surface overall no question about it, and the training is obviously top notch compared to back then as well.  

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

That’s a pretty hot take to say the least. Not shocked to see his stock rising but…

Yeah his ball skills are pretty damn questionable, he dropped multiple balls in the on field workout, sure ran well but give me Daxton Hill all day over him not to mention Kyle Hamilton.  To say he is the first safety off the board is nuts to me.  

What Nick Cross is the #1 safety now just because he ran good?  Or JT Woods for that matter who has far superior ball skills compared to Cine.  Good player helped himself a lot but no way I would take him the 1st safety overall.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I hope you're not arguing for drafting Travon Walker over Aidan Hutchinson. That's nuts.

Why not? There are scouts and front offices who could project Walker as better prospect in 3 years than Hutchinson is now. Front offices don't operate with hive mentalities that fans and draftniks do they are all about projection 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jack Jones is a dude with his ball skills.  Sure has a rough background but he impressed a ton in the field workout.   

Could you tell me anything about the background, please and thanks?

I don’t know much about him. Liked the little bit of tape I’ve seen 

Still a pretty big list of guys who have not worked out or have not run a 40.  Luketa is the only one on this list that ran one but his 40 he seemed hurt at the end so curious how he would do when he is healthy with no issues.  Some of these guys were not invited to the combine mind you.  Odd Pitre did not run the 40, same with Malone.

Evan Neal Alabama JR OT
Derek Stingley Jr LSU JR CB
Jameson Williams Alabama JR WR
Tyler Linderbaum Iowa JR C
Nakobe Dean Georgia JR ILB
Drake London USC JR WR
Matt Corral Ole Miss RS JR QB
George Karlaftis Purdue JR DE
Marcus Jones Houston RS SR CB
Daniel Faalele Minnesota SR OT
Arnold Ebiketie Penn State SR DE
John Metchie III Alabama JR WR
Phidarian Mathis Alabama RS SR DE/DT
Andrew Booth Jr Clemson JR CB
Eyioma Uwazurike Iowa State RS SR DE
Romeo Doubs Nevada SR WR
Jalen Wydermyer Texas A&M JR TE
Jesse Luketa Penn State SR DE/LB
Tyree Johnson Texas A&M RS JR DE/OLB
Micah McFadden Indiana SR ILB
Isaiah Spiller Texas A&M JR RB
Kolby Harvell-Peel Ok State SR S
Jalen Pitre Baylor RS SR S
Mike Rose Iowa State SR ILB
Christopher Allen Alabama RS SR DE/OLB
DeAngelo Malone Western Kentucky RS SR OLB
Adam Anderson Georgia SR OLB
Tyler Vrabel Boston College RS JR OT
Cade Otton Washington RS JR TE
Alec Lindstrom Boston College RS SR OG/C
Bamidele Olaseni Utah RS SR OT
Ellis Brooks Penn State RS SR ILB
Owen Carney Jr Illinois SR DE
Matt Hankins Iowa SR CB
Doug Kramer Illinois RS SR C
Zach VanValkenburg Iowa RS SR DE
Cade Mays Tennessee RS JR OG
Deven Thompkins Utah State SR WR

Overall though not a ton of questions, must say Dean if he ran could have run sub 4.5 I think if not faster.  Jameson if healthy could have ran in the 4.3 range as well I think.  Faalele probably will never run one because why, but would be interesting to see him in the field workout.  Still nuts Olaseni did not get a combine invite.  

Edited by Ozzy

6 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

Was a super star young player, one of the top rated corners in the nation, super star in 2017 on USC amazing talent.   Got kicked off the team for academic issues I believe.  Then robbed a joint, had a JUCO experience in there, I believe he was suspended once while on Arizona State but of late has not been an issue.  

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-jack-jones-arrest-20180608-story.html

https://www.houseofsparky.com/2020/12/28/22203261/asu-football-jack-jones-announces-return-for-2021-season

Really took advantage of another year, that COVID year and really made the most of it.  But many talk the depth of the draft, obviously you have super senior players included in this draft who should have been in the 2021 draft.  

All these guys are "super seniors" I believe and have a chance to be drafted potentially.  But with it being deep already that might not be the case, then again I am sure I am missing some guys on this list.  Pitre I think might be one as well but not sure if he had a medical reason earlier to make him a RS SR, same with Bernard on Baylor.  

Zion Johnson Boston College RS SR OG/OT
Jack Jones Arizona State RS SR CB
DeAngelo Malone Western Kentucky RS SR OLB/DE

Coby Bryant Cincinnati RS SR CB
Eyioma Uwazurike Iowa State RS SR DE

Emeka Emezie NC State RS SR WR
Malcolm Rodriguez Ok State RS SR ILB
Ryan Liam Washington State RS SR OG
Brian Robinson Jr Alabama RS SR RB
Zach VanValkenburg Iowa RS SR DE
Ty Fryfogle Indiana RS SR WR
Tomon Fox UNC RS SR OLB
Tre Webb San Jose State RS SR S
Nate Landman Colorado RS SR ILB
Conner Olson Minnesota RS SR C/OG
Cameron Goode Cal RS SR OLB
JoJo Domann Nebraska RS SR OLB
Sam Schlueter Minnesota RS SR OG/OT
Jake Hansen Illinois ILB RS SR

Jeremiah Moon Florida RS SR OLB
Brad Hawkins Michigan RS SR S
Scott Patchan Colorado State RS SR DE
Big Kat Bryant Tennessee SR DE
Kuony Deng Cal RS SR LB
Joey Blount Virginia RS SR S
Stewart Reese Florida RS SR OG
Greg Eisworth Iowa State RS SR S
Connor Heyward Michigan State RB RS SR
Jacub Panasiuk Michigan State DE RS SR
Thomas Hennigan App State WR RS SR

Jackson Anthrop Purdue WR RS SR
Tayon Fleet-Davis Maryland RB RS SR
Chris Owens Alabama RS SR C
Marquel Dismuke Nebraska RS SR S

Glen Logan LSU RS SR DE
Jahad Woods Washington State OLB RS SR
Viane Moala Utah DT RS SR
Austin Deculus LSU OT RS SR

Brandon Drayton Marshall S RS SR
Myles Jones Texas A&M CB RS SR
DaQuan Newkirk Florida RS SR DT

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Why not? There are scouts and front offices who could project Walker as better prospect in 3 years than Hutchinson is now. Front offices don't operate with hive mentalities that fans and draftniks do they are all about projection 

Good luck to them. Walker is a freakishly gifted dude. But he's far from a sure thing. I'm not passing on Hutchinson for a guy who is all potential.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

That’s a pretty hot take to say the least. Not shocked to see his stock rising but…

Kyle Hamilton is the best safety prospect I've seen, outside of Eric Berry, since Sean Taylor. Lewis Cine isn't a comparable football player. That isn't to say Cine doesn't have his redeeming values, but this is the time of the year that lead to mistakes.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Sauce with an official 4.41 too.

That answers my question from earlier. Barnes indeed ran a faster 40 than Thornton.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

Jack Jones's film is beautiful. He's small, but my Rams have really benefitted during the McVay era by taking small, gifted cover CBs who don't meet the H/W thresholds for other squads.

Edited by jrry32