2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Lots of news outlets are reporting Vikings are trying to trade Hunter (unknown compensation return) due to cap space issues. That just seems like everyone knows we’re in a bind, and we may not get top value for him.  A consequence of retaining Cousins might be losing our best player in D Hunter (after JJ). 

Dallas might be the most desperate team out there looking for edge help. That could boost Hunter's trade value.

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

*not guilty

Semantics much.

"not guilty

phrase of guilty

innocent, especially of a formal charge."

So he is guilty until he is guilty, ok.  Literally the definition of "not guilty" is "innocent, especially of a formal charge".

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Lots of news outlets are reporting Vikings are trying to trade Hunter (unknown compensation return) due to cap space issues. That just seems like everyone knows we’re in a bind, and we may not get top value for him.  A consequence of retaining Cousins might be losing our best player in D Hunter (after JJ). 

He hasn’t been healthy. I can understand why they would consider moving on. There are other contracts the team could look at before dumping Hunter, but I think it comes down to availability. 

27 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

So they have our 4th round pick and the better TE? Thanks Rick! 

Don't forget trading for Ngakwe... who's now on his, what, 5th team in 5 years? Rick wasn't all bad, he was solid at drafting and was largely responsible for putting together the 2017-2018 team, but it's pretty clear the guy simply didn't know when to "fold" and stop trying to fill gaps with crappy trades & handing out bad contracts to veteran players.

Edited by Nzd07

Lots of people out there saying it wouldn't make sense to retain Kirk and then trade Danielle. In principle, I sort of agree. However, I think the Kirk extension had more to do with just how bad this draft class is (and how bad Mond has looked). My gut feeling is that the Vikings are waiting to see what kind of position they are in next year before making a long-term decision on Cousins. If we think we can draft a franchise caliber guy, we'll eat Kirk's last year and sit our guy until 2024. If we surprise and make a playoff run, we'll probably extend Kirk and go on a spending spree when we have more money cleared up after his extension + some of our bad contracts off the table. 2022 to me, seems like a "Wait and see" season for the new regime.

32 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He hasn’t been healthy. I can understand why they would consider moving on. There are other contracts the team could look at before dumping Hunter, but I think it comes down to availability. 

Well yeah, but if you look at it that way, then how can you blame it on Cousins?

• Like 1

Maybe Hunter wants out and asked for the trade regardless if Vikings restructure him to save cap. 

Maybe KAM wants draft assets to find a Kirk replacement asap (who knows if extending Kirk was really his decision & was pushed from above). 

Edited by CriminalMind

1 hour ago, Nzd07 said:

Don't forget trading for Ngakwe... who's now on his, what, 5th team in 5 years? Rick wasn't all bad, he was solid at drafting and was largely responsible for putting together the 2017-2018 team, but it's pretty clear the guy simply didn't know when to "fold" and stop trying to fill gaps with crappy trades & handing out bad contracts to veteran players.

5th team in 3 years.  Jacksonville, who traded him to us, who traded him to Baltimore, who then left for the Raiders and now has been traded to the Colts.

Like I said earlier, I can go either way on Hunter.  If they keep him, great, if they move him, I'm fine with that.  While I like him, he hasn't been healthy the last 2 years and he hasn't really proven to be "special" without Everson on the other side.  He might be, but there hasn't been enough evidence to suggest it.  It's unfortunate, but if he is traded, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing...especially since it's a new scheme which he might or might not even fit in.

Edited by swede700

My preference is, and always has been, to keep Hunter. He’s homegrown, he’s elite when healthy, and he’s young. I don’t think you trade those kind of players, even if there are health concerns. It’s a risk/reward scenario. However, if the new staff is confident he won’t fit in their new scheme, then it probably doesn’t make sense to keep him. But I’d really want to be certain of that. I have a tough time believing they can’t find a way to use his athleticism in the new scheme, but I’m also not a coach. 

So I’d prefer to see him extended, but I also don’t have a reason to distrust Kwesi and KOC - yet…

14 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

It's interesting that they are waiting around to sign the bargain players

They aren't the only team doing so.  I think there's quite a few teams that haven't signed anyone at all.  It could be that they are working on their draft boards and want to see how that shapes up before signing some of the bargain players left over.  

If they can't find a trade partner/deal they like by Sunday I imagine they'll convert his $18M roster bonus into a signing bonus. Makes no sense to convert his bonus with trade talks ongoing as the Vikings would eat more in dead money.

I just have to imagine any conversion of salary would come along with an extension.

I'm in the camp that is willing to gamble on Hunter.

• Like 1