2022 Offseason Discussion

The Browns must have known that by going after Watson, they were going to burn a bridge with Baker. The odds of getting Watson were minimum, and yet they did it anyways.

I dont buy for a second that they thought this wouldnt piss off our QB. Baker cannot have been the plan B if either DePodesta or Berry were behind going after Watson. The odds just were not worth it, even more if there is no clear QB in the draft this year. 

They decided to move on from Baker the moment they went after Watson, or even before. Its not surprising if the QB wants to move on as well. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I've been pondering this the last couple of weeks....and I saw an article about the thought process I was having.....I wish I had the link....but I dont think this is our F.O. I think this is SQUARELY on Jimmy Haslem.....ever since, A.B's predecessor and Mentor was here (Sashi Brown), just like his mentor, his moves have been measured, steady, logical and reek of "Analytics".......from us to go from telling baker and the rest of the world at the combine that Mayfield is the QB next year, to offering OUTLANDISH deal based on INSANITY (I heard at one point it was 3 1rst, Chubb and Ward for a QB with one playoff win and a Tarnished reputation......in a matter of Day's? Does that seem like the Font office we've seen the last 2 years and under Sashi (even the Hue Jackson 2 2nds to Bengals for AJ McCarren, that the "Paperwork got lost on").....

I'm Telling you.....this was Truck STOP Jimmy, putting his nose back in the mix.....he finally let his Football guys do their job, and get us close.....now he wants to step in and try to get the Glory....Jimmy Hasslem, Please STOP and STEP BACK into the shadows and let these guys do what they have been doing.

Edit: Similar Article but not the one I read.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2022/03/17/the-browns-blew-it-baker-mayfield-officially-requests-to-be-traded/?utm_source=google-newsstand&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=google-newsstand

He’s meddled with literally every regime and we’ve still got folks who just can’t see it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s meddled with literally every regime and we’ve still got folks who just can’t see it.

Proof....not speculation based on past history

You can also read the "tea leaves" and say the FO was done with Mayfield too...

Neither Truckstop meddling nor the FO being done with Mayfield is hard to believe tbh

19 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Proof....not speculation based on past history

We typically don’t get that until they clean house.  We’ll put a pin in this for a year or two or whatever.

19 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

You can also read the "tea leaves" and say the FO was done with Mayfield too...

Neither Truckstop meddling nor the FO being done with Mayfield is hard to believe tbh

No one is arguing that.  Absolutely no one.

What I’m arguing is a group of nerds known for being thorough wouldn’t bungle this situation this badly.  They’d have had a plan and executed it. Like they have for the last 2 years.

An example of their preparation:

“He’s been incredible to me, and I’m proud that he’s a mentor of mine. I’ll miss those late-night texts about 2026 trade scenarios. But no stone unturned, that’s the standard, that’s what we’ll live by at the Vikings, and I learned that from him.”

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/01/27/kwesi-adofo-mensah-says-browns-fans-should-be-grateful-for-rock-star-gm-andrew-berry/

You know what this scenario does remind me of?  The AJ McCarron nonsense where Jimmy and Hue decided to jump in tried to make an absurd move.

Or when Jimmy said “let’s go get him” re: JFF because a homeless guy said so.

Not the workings of a guy who has 2026 draft scenarios playing out in his head in the middle of the night.

• Like 2

I don't disagree a lot of this bumbling reeks of Truckstop Jimmy's involvement, but to me that doesn't keep the stench off of others who are involved in the F.O. (unless it comes out AB or DePo vociferously argued against these Watson misadventures and Haslam flat out told them "My way or the highway"). If it's the later, frankly I'd have more respect for the nerds if they resigned or jumped to other opportunities, thus continuing the dysfunctional discontinuity olympics that marks Trigger Jimmy's reign.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Devante Adams just took less money to go to the Raiders because of Derek Carr lol At least from a WR perspective, I think the QB situation gets weighted a lot more than other FA positions like OLB.

This trade kind of surprised me.  As a received I think I would rather have Rodgers than Carr throwing to me.  Maybe it was an issue where he wasn't sure how long Rodgers was going to be in GB.

2 hours ago, dawgdish said:

Yep. Unbelievable how idiotic the front office has handled this.

Not sold on Baker and want to pursue an upgrade? Completely understandable. Make that the plan from the end of the season, maximize your chances of executing the plan and Baker's trade value.

Maintain you're going to ride with Baker in his 5th year all the way until the middle of free agency, pursue a slime ball perv you have no shot at, have your whole QB plan fall apart and make yourself look like "same old clown show Browns" for all the world to see (including prospective free agents) and diminish his trade value and your bargaining position? Brownsy AF. Sadly, current management is proving no better than the parade of keystone cops in the past. Our team is so much worse now than it was 2 weeks ago.

This has truck stop Jimmy written all over it.  They had to know going in if that scumbag Watson denied the trade this would happen.  I can't think the nerds are that dumb with all the other moves they have made.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wolfhunt said:

This has truck stop Jimmy written all over it.  They had to know going in if that scumbag Watson denied the trade this would happen.  I can't think the nerds are that dumb with all the other moves they have made.

The nerds are very analytics smart, and some of them seem to have football smarts. That kind of intelligence doesn't automatically extend to possessing emotional intelligence. And anyone with an iota of that could have predicted the Baker thing unfolding exactly as it has.

4 minutes ago, Wolfhunt said:

I think there are three possibilities at this point.

1. Truck Stop Jimmy insisted in going after Watson despite it not being in the FO's plans.

2. The FO has a pre-arranged trade for a different QB that is waiting on the Watson decision and a paired team waiting to trade for Mayfield. Or they have a trade for Mayfield on the table that they like, but have realized that with multiple QB desperate teams (NO, IND, CAR) his value might increase dramatically once Watson is off the market.

3. The FO WANTS Baker pissed off and chip on his shoulder this year.

In my opinion, that is also the order of their likelihood. I'd say 50% #1, 35% #2, 15% #3. If it's #2 we will know within a couple weeks. The other two? Wait and see I guess.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FGK said:

I think there are three possibilities at this point.

1. Truck Stop Jimmy insisted in going after Watson despite it not being in the FO's plans.

2. The FO has a pre-arranged trade for a different QB that is waiting on the Watson decision and a paired team waiting to trade for Mayfield. Or they have a trade for Mayfield on the table that they like, but have realized that with multiple QB desperate teams (NO, IND, CAR) his value might increase dramatically once Watson is off the market.

3. The FO WANTS Baker pissed off and chip on his shoulder this year.

In my opinion, that is also the order of their likelihood. I'd say 50% #1, 35% #2, 15% #3. If it's #2 we will know within a couple weeks. The other two? Wait and see I guess.

This post deserves quoted. Well said FGK.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Devante Adams just took less money to go to the Raiders because of Derek Carr lol At least from a WR perspective, I think the QB situation gets weighted a lot more than other FA positions like OLB.

Less money than what? He got the most money ever for a non qb. 

10 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

The nerds are very analytics smart, and some of them seem to have football smarts. That kind of intelligence doesn't automatically extend to possessing emotional intelligence. And anyone with an iota of that could have predicted the Baker thing unfolding exactly as it has.

I refuse to believe that every simpleton on this board knew Baker wasn’t gonna like it but the dudes who’ve worked with him for years didn’t.

The nerds would have had a plan B and moved on it quickly would have been my expectation.